So nice.

Discussion in '1968 Ferrari 612 Canam' started by vwdrivervw, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Looks sweet for its time and some nice power to go with and holy shit is it light this is one sweet car wonder why it wasn't in le mans (im thinking engine size)

2. Re: No Subject

It was made for CANAM(canadian-american) series. It was much too light for FIA rules. It would be a killer Le Mans car though.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: No Subject

Canam rocks! The only regulations were for safety. Some cars like the twin-turbo Porsche 917 had over 1000 hp. Too bad it ended in 1974.

4. Re: No Subject

How many deads were they per season ?

I think it's sometimes clever to stop too dangerous competitions.

5. Re: No Subject

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 426 Hemi</i>
    <b>Canam rocks! The only regulations were for safety. Some cars like the twin-turbo Porsche 917 had over 1000 hp. Too bad it ended in 1974.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->what a waste!<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: No Subject

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from deuginthesky</i>
    <b>How many deads were they per season ?

I think it's sometimes clever to stop too dangerous competitions.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

CanAm was stopped because it got boring, the Porsche 917 was unbeatable so the crowds drifted away and it was no longer a commercially viable series, it had nothing to do with safety.

7. Re: No Subject

Canam rocked indeed!!!
    What great cars came from that series!

8. Re: No Subject

man id love to see that today, ther would be cars with like 6000+ hp

9. Re: No Subject

No they wouldn't.

Top Fuel dragsters can only just put out that, and their engines only last a 1/4 mile.

10. The teams with Chevy powered cars were working on turbos which would've given 1300 hp. The SCCA thought that things were getting out of hand, but the series was popular.