1958→1960 MG A Twin-Cam
Above Images ©MG Rover Group Limited
In 1958 BMC produced a high performance version of the MGA called the twin-cam. This used a new aluminum cylinder head on the B-Series engine to produce 108 bhp.
Along with the DOHC setup, BMC also fitted Dunlop disc brakes and Dunlop steel wheels.
All the twin-cams are easily identified by their Twin-Cam logo near the side vents.
Due to detonation, the compression ratio was dropped from 9.9:1 to 8.3:1 on the later cars.
Story by Supercars.net
Chassis & Sales
1959 MG A Twin Cam Roadster - sold for $58,000
A rare, rust free twin cam Roadster that just completed a full nut, bolt, and washer restoration. 4-Speed manual transmission. Originally owned from 1971 to 2004 by Lyle York, the founder of the Twin Cam Register. Original aluminum head twin overhead cam engine producing 107 HP. Factory installed 4-wheel disc brakes. Original Dunlop steel knock-off wheels. One of 2111 twin cams produced in 1959/60.
- Twin cams originally aimed at competition ... more
Gallery: 2011 Monterey Daytime Auction by Mecum
1958 MG A Twin-Cam YD31973 - sold for $50,000
Rare Twin Cam model. Just completed full nut and bolt body-off restoration. West coast rust free car. Red leather interior. All major chassis components powder coated. Powder coated knock-off wheels. Optional heater.
Gallery: 2012 Daytime Auction by Mecum
1959 MGA Twin Cam Roadster YD1/1580 - sold for €47,000
This car, chassis number 'YD1/1580', left the factory on 16th March 1959 for delivery to Leeds dealers Isaac Swires & Sons Ltd. Just over one month later the car was competing in the first of the two Tulip Rallies that it would contest in the hands of owner Harry Mainz, co-driven by R Vicat-Cole, a member of the famous artistic family. Although not a true 'works' entry, it was numbered in sequence with the factory cars,
Gallery: 2012 Goodwood Revival Sale by Bonhams