Produced from 1929 to 1935, the Phantom II was a large improvement over the previous Phantom I. Both cars shared much the same chassis design with the Phantom II having a lower ride height and improved semi-elliptic springs. The large Inline-6 powerplant featured an aluminum head and a twin ignition system which was also new on Phantom II cars.
1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Henley Roadster 291AJS – sold for $1,430,000 One of the All-Time Great Rolls-Royce. Exceptionally Sporting Brewster Coachwork. One of Only Eight Henley Roadsters Built. Genuine Example with Original Chassis, Engine, and Coachwork. Displayed at the Henry Ford Museum for Decades. Restored by Stone Barn Restorations of Vienna, New Jersey. Displayed at the 2003 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Best in Class at the 2005 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance. A Very Rare and Important Example of the Marque.
1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Brewster Newmarket 217AMS – sold for $154,000 Desirable AMS-Series Phantom II Chassis. Stylish Brewster Design. Well Documented and Continuous Provenance. Just Two Registered Owners Since 1959. Elegant Period-Correct Presentation. Displayed at the 2012 Louisville Concours d’Elegance. Ideal Candidate for RROC and CCCA Gatherings – See more at: http://www.goodingco.com/car/1933-rolls-royce-phantom-ii-newmarket#sthash.qXoUDfvx.dpuf Auction Source: The 2013 Amelia Island Auction by Gooding & Company
1929 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp Phantom II Fernandez et Cie Sedanca de Ville 24EX – sold for €138,000 Purchased by the current long term owner we are advised that ’24EX’ was totally restored between 1981 and 1983, mechanicals and electrics included, and since completion has covered only 100 kilometres, spending the rest of the time in heated and dust-free garage storage. The car has been refinished in its original colour scheme of yellow with black wings and roof, and re-upholstered in brown leather to the front compartment and grey cloth to the rear. There is a moveable glass division between the two compartments, the rear being equipped with two folding occasional seats. This rare, Derby-built, left-hand drive Phantom II is offered with French Carte Grise. Auction Source: 2013 Les Grandes Marques du Monde au Grand Palais
1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Sport Saloon 295AJS – sold for $192,500 This extraordinarily rakish Phantom II Sport Saloon was acquired by Mr. Ruger in the early-2000s. It was previously owned by Mr. Paul Zimmer circa 1948–52 and later went to enthusiast Jack Frost, of Detroit, who owned it for many years and won a class award at an RROC meet in 1976. It was then in the Atwell Collection in Texas before joining the Ruger Collection. As-acquired, it had modernized front fenders with side-mounted spare tires. Mr. Ruger commissioned John Abrahamson, of Enfield Auto Restorations, to return the fenders to their prewar specification, which eliminated the spares. The restoration also involved the development of a rear spare tire mount in accordance with Rolls-Royce practice of the era, a concours quality repaint, complete re-upholstery of the interior, and a new top of genuine coach leather. Additionally, the slightly-enhanced turn signals, which had been previously installed, were retained
1929 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Weymann Short-Coupled Saloon 33WJ – did not sell for €87,000 The car is believed to have been displayed at the October 1929 Paris Salon, probably on the Weymann stand, where its sister car, 34WJ, a brilliant yellow limousine, was presented as well. Its last documented appearance in France came in a factory photo taken in April 1930, where it carried Paris trade plates. That photo, now in the Henry Royce Archives, is similarly and tersely annotated “Hemingway,” with no further information. The car is known to have been in the USA prior to the 1960s, when photos of it appeared in The Flying Lady, the magazine of the Rolls-Royce Owners Club.
An older restoration, the car has been professionally fitted with power-assisted steering for touring. Handsome in two shades of green, its paintwork, interior and brightwork are very presentable, showing only modest cracks in the paint at stress points, a legacy of its tour mileage. The chassis is well maintained and recently detailed. Combining Rolls-Royce quality, sporting two-place coachwork, an aggressive presence and a celebrity legend to boot, this car will always be the centre of attention at any event.
1929 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Hibbard and Darrin Imperial Cabriolet 127XJ – sold for $110,000 One of only about 1,767 Phantom IIs produced, XJ 127 was ordered new by Robert T. Neely of New York, the immensely successful founder of the Nedick’s and Shanty Shops restaurants. No expense was spared on this early-production Phantom II, and it was shipped to Paris for Hibbard and Darrin coachwork. The original French chassis plate, Marchal headlamps and driving lamp, and copies of factory records confirm that XJ 127 was guaranteed by Rolls-Royce in France. Next, it was used by Mr. Neely to tour France and Europe before shipment to New York.
Mr. Neely retained XJ 127 until 1932, and it passed through four owners before entering the long-term ownership of Leonard D. Finelli of Columbus, Ohio in 1962. In 1999, it was acquired by Mr. Bill Howitt of Windsor, Ontario, who undertook a complete restoration. The engine was completely rebuilt and balanced by marque expert Brian Joseph, who also installed new wiring.
1931 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Brewster Henley Roadster 224AJS – sold for $935,000 One of the Most Original of the Henley Roadsters. Prized AJS-Series Phantom II Chassis. Beautifully Preserved Paint and Original Interior. Unbroken Provenance and Charming History. Carefully Maintained, Low-Mileage Example. Recently Displayed at Pebble Beach and Amelia Island.
Of the eight Henley Roadsters originally built, seven remain today. 224 AJS is arguably the finest surviving example, a remarkably original classic car with a fabulous history of devoted stewardship. We recommend close inspection of this magnificent Brewster-bodied Rolls-Royce – it is truly a car fit for the connoisseur.
1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II LWB Open Tourer EF15 – sold for €60,812 77 GY began life as all P-IIs (chassis only) and was sold to Rippon Bros., Ltd., St. Johns Road, Huddersfield, England. The sale was dated 2 May, 1930, though delivery was accepted on 22 August, 1931. It is possible that the car was the Olympia Show car. Today, it sports rather ornate coachwork with a polished aluminium hood, painted wire wheels, and the absence of front doors along with radically cut down rear doors and distinctive scalloped belting thought to resemble coachwork once specified by an unknown Maharajah.
1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II – sold for €131,227 Chassis 130XJ was delivered to Barker & Co., Ltd. by road on 1 March, 1930. According to Rolls-Royce Foundation records, instructions included the installation of springs for a Pullman Limousine deVille and “used for extensive Continental touring.” Extra was charged for silver-plated fittings including radiator shutters. Little else is known about its intervening history, though the car has been owned by notable collectors James C. Leake, Oklahoma (1973), Michael L. Shinn, Colorado (1982), and Millard W. Newman, Florida (1986), from whom it was acquired by the Hooper Corporate Collection.
It is unknown exactly when this right-hand drive, long-wheelbase car was fitted with new coachwork, reputed to have been constructed by Dick Brockman & Company, Reading, United Kingdom. Brockman was a small coachbuilder that primarily bodied Rolls-Royce and Bentley automobiles during 1924-1937. The remarkable body is of solid copper – it is polished and not painted, requiring meticulous installation. It must be perfectly constructed so as not to reveal any imperfections. The owner indicates that it is the only Rolls-Royce ever produced with a solid copper body. Within the last year, 130XJ has received a total engine rebuild, including new cylinder heads, at a cost exceeding $50,000. The engine remains the one with which the car was first delivered in 1930. The interior and dash are of wood construction, and the green leather seats exhibit a patina that lets one know that this car is meant to be used and driven. For collectors in search of something truly unique, what better choice than a copper-bodied Phantom II Rolls-Royce?
In the 1980s, 195GY was treated to a comprehensive restoration. The work focused mainly on cosmetics as the car was at that time in good mechanical order. Two subsequent owners used the car quite extensively, with the result that in 2003 an extensive professional mechanical restoration was commissioned by Bryan Richmond-Dodd with Hofman’s of Henley, a noted Rolls-Royce restorer. Detailed documentation attests to the extensive nature of the work undertaken, copies of which accompany the sale. The total cost of the work was in excess of €100,000, which was well over $200,000 US at the time.
A very sporty coupe with step-plate running boards, dual-mounted rear spares and polished discs make this one of the most handsome Phantom IIs built. With its continuous and complete roster of keepers and documentation including factory and maintenance records, the car has excellent provenance. Equally suited to use on touring events or concours competitions, this Phantom II will still stop traffic and draw admiration wherever it goes, just as it has throughout the last seven decades.
1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Saoutchik Cabriolet de Ville 68GN – did not sell for $500,000 Quite simply, this is an extraordinary example of flamboyant formal coachwork that combines the very highest in quality and material, with wonderful period details that distinguish it as one of the most exclusive luxury carriages of its day. This is a car with enormous presence, undeniable character and it stands as a masterpiece of the lost art of coachbuilding. We are proud to offer this Rolls-Royce publicly for the first time since 1952 and encourage a closer inspection of this remarkable motorcar.
1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Skiff-Bodied Roadster – sold for $198,000 Unique One-Off Skiff Re-creation. No doubt the designer of the car was inspired by the original skiff bodies created by Labourdette and other French carrosseries. Wood components are joined by pegs and dowels; only the bonnet is not built in this manner, but rather veneered over metal panels to insulate it from the engine heat. Storage compartments are fashioned within the pontoon-shaped running boards as well as aft within the boat-tail itself. While there is no cabriolet roof, the tan leather interior provides a lovely contrast with the furniture-grade wooden exterior of the hand-built body. Recently, an electric fuel pump was installed, as well as an overdrive unit, greatly enhancing the ease with which one can drive the car.
This unique Phantom II was first brought to the US by famed Rolls-Royce connoisseur, James C. Leake, and subsequently became a featured part of two other prominent Rolls-Royce collections, those of the late Millard Newman, Raymond Lutgert and Dean Becker. The current owners have enjoyed the car for the last four years. It has been driven on tours and, while showing some minor evidence of use, the owners note that it never fails to draw a crowd wherever it appears. A visually spectacular automobile of unsurpassed quality that offers both great presence and appeal, it will most likely be welcome at any major concours that offers a class for new coachwork.
1926 Rolls-Royce 40/50 hp Phantom I Limousine by Maythorn & Sons Limousine – sold for €50,400 Chassis 53TC, the lovely Phantom I on offer, was received for test on 22nd April 1926. Originally consigned to Rippon Bros., the Yorkshire coachbuilders, for stock, it was instead re-designated for the Maharani of Cooch Behar in India. Cooch Behar, now part of the Indian State of West Bengal, is a planned town built by Maharaja Nripendra Narayan in the late 19th century. The 24th Maharajah, Nripendra Narayan died in 1922, leaving the princely state under the Regency Council presided over by his widow, Maharani Indiri Devi, whom he had wed in London in 1913.
Rather than being bodied by Rippon, however, 53TC was sent to Maythorn & Sons of Biggleswade, Bedfordshire for an enclosed limousine body. Dunlop steel artillery wheels were fitted to special order, along with a 90 mph speedometer and Smiths eight-day clock. Maythorn & Sons were founded as carriage-builders in 1842, moving into motor car bodies early in the 20th century. Their impressive client list included the Prince of Wales and the Nizam of Hyderabad. Maythorn bodies most frequently appeared on Daimler and Minerva chassis, but Rolls-Royce and Bentley were also regular clients. The firm came under common ownership with Hooper in the mid-1920s, although the two always traded separately.
In remarkably original condition, 53TC retains its original wood and red leather, both exceptionally well preserved. The body has been restored from the window sills upward, retaining the gold crowns on the rear doors and regal registration plates. The paint and body fittings are very good overall, and the Carl Zeiss headlamps are a sight to behold. The engine runs smoothly, and the car drives well.
1929 Rolls-Royce 40/50 hp Phantom II Open Tourer by H. Horsefield 87WJ – sold for €61,600 Originally constructed as a sports saloon by Arthur Mulliner of Northampton, chassis 87WJ, a long wheelbase example, was apparently re-bodied by Horsfields in the 1960s in the characteristic Barker barrel-side style. Following its acquisition by Mr. Zach, it was thoroughly restored. Cylinder head corrosion warranted a complete engine rebuild, and a new hood was made from material exactly matching the colour of the buttoned claret leather interior. This provides a striking contrast to the ivory paintwork that is a Horsfield hallmark. Clean and elegant in all respects, the car runs well and is a pleasure to drive.
1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Special Town Car by Brewster 218AMS – sold for €1,456,000 The story of this epic Rolls-Royce began in 1933, when the U.S. economy was in the depths of the worst depression in history. Luxury items and automobiles were lacking for a market except for the very few who had somehow managed to preserve their fortunes. One of these lucky few was C. Matthew Dick of Washington, D.C., an heir to a major business machine company that attributed its continued success in part to a major increase in U.S. government spending and activity that required additional A.B. Dick equipment.
He was scheduled to be married in the coming months to a beautiful young woman who was expected to take her place in the highest echelons of society. In doing so, she would be travelling between events in the formal town car. The problem was that the traditional town car was far too stodgy to fit the form and personality presented by this beautiful young woman. The solution would be to create a town car unlike any seen before. To fulfil this requirement, the prospective groom contacted Rolls-Royce and their New York coachbuilding firm Brewster & Co. to provide a totally unique town car on the legendary Phantom II chassis as a wedding present for his bride-to-be. After a variety of meetings with the coachbuilder and its top designers and artists, the work commenced on this remarkable town car, and their combined vision was eventually achieved when this Brewster-bodied Special Town Car, chassis no. 218 AMS, was delivered to its new owner in 1934.
This Phantom II Rolls-Royce combines the best styling elements of the era, with its long hood, low razor edge roof design, dramatic V-windshield, sculpted windows, German silver hardware and complementing canework. The same degree of attention was paid to the custom fitted interior with its gold-plated hardware, vanity cases, indirect lighting, and lambs wool carpets. All of these elements were perfectly combined to create an exquisite town car that was tasteful, elegant and sporty and would soon directly inspire the rebody of two earlier Phantom II chassis with similar yet unique coachwork for other beautiful women.
The original cost for designing and building this Brewster-bodied masterpiece was an astounding $31,000, making it the most expensive car in the world built that year and over 50-percent more than the “Twenty Grand” Duesenberg created that same year. In comparison, this remarkable amount could have purchased at that time an entire fleet of ordinary new automobiles or a full block of fine homes.
Adding to the extraordinary nature of this Special Town Car is the fact that it has had only four owners from new and is a greatly original car. Mrs. Dick enjoyed the car for many years and eventually kept it at her estate in Newport, Rhode Island, where America’s wealthiest families often maintained grand summer homes. The second owner was Gerald Rolph who maintained and preserved the car for over 40 years, much of this time storing the car on his Isle of Man estate in England.
The subsequent owner, a well known and highly respected Colorado-based owner, purchased the car in the 1990s and enjoyed it as one of the highlights of his personal collection over the course of the next decade. The vendor, another collector with many concours award-winning cars of his own, acquired the car in 2008 and has maintained it in his private collection ever since.
This Special Town Car has been shown at exclusive concours events throughout the world, where it has won numerous Best of Show and Elegance awards, and has been a part of special displays at the foremost museums – all accomplished with a completely original interior and trim in mint condition and a body that has never been off the chassis. As a result, 218 AMS has received its coveted FIVA certification, which is a tribute to its pristine originality, and is ready to be shown at prestigious events such as the Villa d’Este Concours d’Elegance.
1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Gentleman’s Sports Saloon – did not sell for €81,276 Just over two years later, 29 TA changed hands for the first time, to Hans Barnard Hankley, of Old Bond Street, London, who kept the car for the following 10 years, selling to John Trent Ltd in March 1947 who passed ownership to C.A Tanner Esq. of Shepherds Bush in April 1948. The remarkably well-preserved condition of this car is undoubtedly aided by the fact that in February 1953, it was sold to Frank B. Cox, who lived in the forgiving climate of San Rafael, California. 29 TA next changed hands to L. Ross Sine, of Los Altos, California in May 1954. The recorded keeper in Raymond Gentile’s records was Herb Wuesthoff of Richmond, California, in 1980. Re-imported to the United Kingdom last year, the last title document recorded the owner as Mr. Nelson William Schmedth, of Langlois, Oregon, carrying the registration KE 25, this being dated September 5th, 2002.
Upon return to the UK, the car was taken to marque specialists for its new MOT certificate, showing a recorded mileage of 43,595. At which point the car’s exceptionally well-preserved condition became clear.
This short chassis Continental, with gentleman’s close-coupled sports saloon coachwork by Thrupp and Maberly, clearly demonstrated Rolls-Royce’s ability to not only produce an elegant motor car, but also a sporting model for the discerning owner or driver. Finished in Teal and Oasis Blue with complementing blue hide upholstery, this most handsome sports saloon also boasts a full length sunroof and retractable rear luggage rack, and has truly exceptional driving qualities.