In 1931 Daimler offered a 6.5-litre version of their Double Six 50 known as the Double-Six 40/50. Our feature car is the very best of these models featuring a Martin Walter Ltd. body designed by H.R. Owens.
Despite offering numerous models and having royal support, Daimler wanted to take an extra step after Rolls-Royce released their feature-rich Phantom in 1925. To stay competitive, Chief engineer Laurence Pomeroy decided to make the most of Daimler’s engineering and adopt sleeve valves in a new seven liter V12. To do so, he mated two existing six cylinder, 25/85 hp engines to a common aluminum crankcase and refined the sleeves to reduce oil consumption.