In 1937, the top model produced by Horch and all of the Auto Union conglomerate was the 853 A. It was a more powerful version of the 853 that was fitted with a 120 bhp version of the straight eight.
Many bodies on the 853 A were highly regarded, and of them the sport cabriolets are some of the most beautifully styled cars of their era. But the real creme of the crop were the select handful of ‘spezial’ roadsters built by Ermann et Rossi in Paris.
Before the war broke out and annihilated all of Auto Union with it, Horch produced just over 400 853As that were fitted with a wide variety of bodies.
Chassis number ‘853400’ carries a stylish cabriolet body, the two-tone blue/grey livery emphasising its elegant and graceful lines. The car was fully restored in 1990, including overhauling the engine to ‘like new’ condition and re-trimming the interior in red-piped grey leather. There are photographs of the restoration on file and the accompanying ASI identity certificate notes that the body and mechanicals have been restored to original specification. The car also comes with a copy of the owner’s manual (in German), its old Italian registration papers, French Carte Grise and Contrôle Technique (2012). Worthy of inclusion in the most exclusive private collection, it represents a rare opportunity to acquire one the most luxurious and refined cars of the 1930s. Auction Source: 2015 Les Grandes Marques du Monde au Grand Palais
1939 Horch 853A Cabriolet 854383 – sold for €379,500 Finished in beige/black with black interior, the car is described by the vendor as in generally excellent condition, having benefited from the regular expert attention of Hans Schori. This rare German thoroughbred comes complete with hardtop and is offered with the aforementioned invoices, operating instructions, expired German Fahrzeugbrief and current Swiss registration papers. Auction Source: 2013 Les Grandes Marques du Monde au Grand Palais
The Horch 853 on offer boasts a splendid cabriolet body, with the blue two-tone livery highlighting its elegant shape. The interior has been completely restored with seats in grey leather with red piping. When it joined the Italian collection in 2005, the car was in used condition, in grey and black with grey interior, as documented in a file of photographs.
This magnificent example was treated to the same comprehensive restoration as the other cars in the collection. As the photographs show, the car was taken back to bare metal and meticulously restored. The car is registered with the demanding Italian historic register, the ASI, which notes in the booklet that will be passed to the new owner, that the mechanics and body have been restored in keeping with the original specification. Coming with a full dossier of photographs, technical documentation and a copy of the owner’s manual in German, this car deserves to join the most exclusive collection