1948 Delahaye 175 S
After the war Delahaye continued to make cars largely based on their prewar cars. The Type 175 S was released in 1948 alongside similar chassis made with a longer wheelbase.
Most models were styled at the factory by Philippe Charbonneaux and used a seven bearing 4.5 liter six-cylinder with a DeDion-Type rear axle. Fitted with competition bodywork, the 175 S competed only briefly and was unsuccessful during its initial year.
An example bodied by Motto competed in the 1950 Carrera Panamerica and finished 12th. The same car was raced at the 1951 Monte Carlo rally, finishing first for drivers Jean Trevoux and Roger Crovetto which was also the last appearance of the 175.
815038-Offered by Gooding & Company as a private treaty sale. Described as “Intended for display at the 1950 Paris Salon and New York Auto Show, this stylish Delahaye 175 Sport Cabriolet was specially ordered as a left hand drive two-seater, with unique cabriolet coachwork by Henri Chapron. Looking very much the part of a show car, the short 175 chassis is clothed in a rakish cabriolet body, with beautifully integrated lines and contrasting paint sitting atop delicate Rudge wire wheels. While the early French ownership of this Delahaye remains unknown, the dramatic car reappeared in America in 1959 and has remained in the United States since. During the next half century, it was a fixture in two prominent collections, spending decades in each, and it has most recently resided in a renowned California collection. The handsome Chapron coachwork of this Delahaye was refinished approximately 20 years ago in a deep burnt red with claret highlights on the front and rear fenders. The striking chrome beltline flashes and hood trim, as well as exquisite details such as a louvered hood, further highlight the graceful lines of the car.
Inside, a handsome painted burl walnut faux-finish accentuates the dashboard, which is complete with proper O.S. gauges, numerous switches and a correct Motorola radio set. The soft tan leather panels are highlighted with beautifully finished hardwood caps, and the supple medium tan leather seats provide an inviting and comfortable proposition for extensive touring. The complimentary-colored cabriolet tan top fits snuggly, or may be folded flush with the rear deck, delivering a vast aesthetic improvement over the rather ungainly tops fitted with side irons that were most often installed on these cars. Overall, the car remains in presentable condition throughout and shows a slight patina in accordance with its older restoration.”
1948 Delahaye 175 S Gallery
See full 1948 Delahaye 175 S Gallery here
|type||Series Production Car|
|displacement||4455 cc / 271.9 in³|
|bore||94 mm / 3.7 in|
|stroke||106.9 mm / 4.21 in|
|power||123.0 kw / 165 bhp|
|specific output||37.04 bhp per litre|
|front brakes||Finned Alloy Drums|
|rear brakes||Finned Alloy Drums|
|f suspension||Dubbonet w/Coil Springs|
|r suspension||De Dion Axle w/Semi-Elliptic Springs|
|wheelbase||2946 mm / 116.0 in|
|transmission||4-Speed Cotal Preselector|
Auction Sales History
Delahaye 175 S Chapron Cabriolet Dandy 815028 – did not sell for $506,000 One of just 10 Left Hand Drive examples. Multiple Concours Award Winner, including Pebble Beach. Restored in 2004 by Alan Taylor. Recent major mechanical work. A great tour car.
Auction Source: 2013 Quail Lodge Auction by Bonhams
1948 Delahaye 175S Coupé de Ville Aerodynamic Body 815001 – sold for €153,632
The sole example built by Figoni et Falaschi. One of just 10 left-hand drive 175S chassis produced. First in Class and Best French Car at Pebble Beach, 1988. Offered from the John M. O’Quinn Collection; partially restored.
At the time of writing, the history of this singular Figoni et Falaschi Coupé de Ville is unknown following its debut at the 1948 Paris Salon. In the 1980s, it was completely restored, and in 1988 it was shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, where it was received both the Best in Class and Best French Car awards. In February 2005, the noted collector Mr. John M. O’Quinn of Houston, Texas acquired it. The Coupé de Ville was properly stored in Mr. O’Quinn’s facilities, and likely, it was used very little, if at all. Recently, it was shipped to France for a specialist restoration by Carrosserie Tessier.
According to a report by the restorer, the car’s metal panels have been completely restored, and it is noted that while the fenders are Figoni-inspired, they do not conform to their original design. Primer has been applied to the metal surfaces. While the upholstery was addressed during the prior restoration, it is noted to not have been in accordance with original specifications. The chassis still requires overhaul, and the engine has been checked and is confirmed to be in good condition, but the rebuild is not yet finished. A provisional re-assembly of the car has already been accomplished, but the entire car will, of course, need to be completed and checked over by the new owner.
Auction Source: 2010 Automobiles of London by RM Auctions
1949 Delahaye Type 175 Coupe de Ville 815044 – sold for $440,000
Today, many of the Saoutchik and Figoni & Falaschi-bodied cars that survive were, at some time, in a state of severe disrepair and have been restored in a way that has greatly compromised their integrity. However, this Delahaye has always been a known quantity and upon inspection, one can catch a glimpse of the nature of these fabulous coachbuilt creations. When new, these cars were hand-built and often constructed in haste to appease a demanding clientele – rarely were they prepared with the extreme attention to detail and need for cosmetic perfection that is de rigueur of contemporary Pebble Beach restorations. This Delahaye is recognized as one of the most authentic examples of exceptionally flamboyant French styling and will assuredly hold great appeal to any collector or museum searching for a car that speaks to the history of French coachbuilding.
Auction Source: 2010 Gooding & Company Pebble Beach Auction