1950→1968 Morgan +4 Drophead Coupé
In 1950 HF. S. Morgan offered his +4 with proper protection from the British weather and a more luxurious ride. The Drop Head Coupé was available as early as 1938 on the 4/4. Up until that point, Morgan had predominantly produced cars which were roadsters or three-wheeled trikes.
The Drop Head Coupé (DHC) was a rare variant of the +4 range produced from 1950 to 1968. During this long production, engines for the +4 changed from the 2088cc Vanguard engine to Triumph TR2 and TR3 units. Less than 450 were ordered over the lengthy production run.
Small production figures were probably due to the Coupé’s more expensive price that was required due to the extra complexity of the car.
When fully erected, the top worked very well with the lines of the body and offered better protection than the roadster. However, the DHC still retained the detachable side windows which was a drawback for its intended market.
Unlike the Roadster, the Drop Head Coupé featured a built-up A-panel and fixed front windscreen. Furthermore, full-size doors were fitted and the interior was outfitted typically with burled walnut veneer. Other changes to the body included lack of cut-down doors and a small chrome strip which ran down the side of the car. As such, the DHC was more elegant car than the Roadster.
Focused more on elegance and luxury than the +4 Roadster, the DHC perhaps wasn’t luxurious enough to attract new customers nor sporting enough for existing ones. The small production meant this is one of the rarest Morgans and one that might become very desirable in the future.
Story by Richard Owen
|submitted by||Richard Owen|
|type||Series Production Car|
|production years||1950 – 1968|
|price $||$ 2,650|
Auction Sales History
1962 Morgan +4 Drophead Coupé – did not sell for $40,000 4 cylinder Triumph engine #CT14337E. Car sold new by Lew Spencer Imports, Los Angeles, CA on 13 July 1962. Car then purchased from Morgan dealer Bob Cole, San Bruno, CA in 1968. Then sold in 1972 privately. Last and most current owner owned until 2013. Very complete service history also included.
Auction Source: The Daytime Auction in Monterey by Mecum
1952 Morgan Plus Four Drophead Coupe – sold for $66,000
ew York City’s Fergus Motors originally imported this original left-hand drive example, and a few years later, the original owner returned it to the Morgan works, where the Vanguard engine was exchanged for the 100-bhp Triumph TR3 unit presently fitted. For many years, a private California collector maintained and preserved the car in road-ready condition in a climate-controlled facility, using it only sparingly. Following several years of negotiation, the current owner acquired it with 319 actual miles in 2004.
Two California marque specialists carried out a re-commissioning in 2004, with work including a total mechanical evaluation, new brakes, new wiring, interior mahogany refurbishment by Madera Concepts and correct new tires on trued wheels. Carruth-Savoy cleaned and adjusted the instruments and renovated the trafficators. A run of fresh Bridge-of-Weir leather was fitted to the squabs and seat backs. The chrome was re-plated by Mickey Dupuis of Holyoke, Massachusetts. The body was disassembled, stripped and refinished in correct Oxford Blue with Obsidian wings and a Claret pinstripe by M. Limata. The body’s wooden framing was remarkably sound and virtually new. The original Blumels Brooklands steering wheel was restored as well.
Auction Source: 2011 Amelia Island Auction by RM Auctions