The DB2 was Aston Martin’s best selling model to date, but the economic climate for a two-seater car at this price was limited, so Aston Martin began work on making changes to the car.
Removing the cross-bracing above the rear axle had allowed space for two rear seats to be fitted and a lift-up rear door – which today we would call a hatchback – was let into the rear bodywork
for access to the luggage space. Further revisions to the body included seperate bumpers – the DB2 had a chrome rubbing strips – and a single piece windsreen. To counteract a small increase in weight, the 125 bhp Vantage spec engine was now standard.
The DB2/4 was shown at the London Motor Show in 1953, both saloon and drophead versions were available. Further improvements in the design of the body included a different shape for the rear quarter lights, headlamps set higher in the bonnet and improved bumpers.
In September 1953, a new 3-litre unit, which could produce 140bhp at 5000bhp.
In 1955 David Brown moved production to Tickford at Newport Pagnell when the second generation DB2/4 (which became known as the Mark II) was built. At its peak the DB2/4 was being built at the rate of six/seven cars a week even though it was strictly hand built.
Series Production Car
1953 – 1955
DOHC 2 Valves / Cyl
2580 cc / 157.4 in³
78 mm / 3.07 in
90 mm / 3.54 in
93.2 kw / 125.0 bhp @ 5000 rpm
48.45 bhp per litre
106.02 bhp per tonne
195 nm / 143.8 ft lbs @ 2400 rpm
Front Engine / RWD
Trailing Arms w/Coil Springs, Anti-Roll Bar
Live Axle w/Trailing Links, Panhard Rod, Coil Springs