Introduced at the 1995 Paris Motor Show, the T14 Lago Sport (LS) was offered alongside the larger T16 GSL. It used a a 4-cylinder, 2.5-litre, DOHC engine which produced 120 bhp.
Fabricated from large-diameter tubes, the chassis was fully independent up front. Body design was similar to the 2+2 T26 GSL and was executed by Facel-Métallon.
With production funding problems with gearbox was changed to the ZF unit for the final few cars. Some of these were upgraded to Sport Spécial specification with aluminium doors, aluminum trunk, aluminum hood, Borrani wheels and high-lift camshafts.
Only 54 examples of the T14 LS were produced and as little as eight were built to Sport Spécial specification.
The Talbot-Lago T14 LS was both exclusive and expensive; only 54 examples were built, of which a very small number (believed seven or eight) were to Spécial specification. The Spécial featured aluminium doors, bonnet and boot lid, Borrani wheels and high-lift camshafts, giving enhanced performance. This unique example was the factory demonstrator provided for the use of its ace Grand Prix driver, Louis Rosier, who had won the 1950 Le Mans 24-Hour Race at the wheel of a Talbot-Lago T26 Grand Sport co-driven by his son, Jean-Louis. This car’s frontal styling was especially modified to echo the looks of the T26 Grand Sport Rosier used on the Carrera Panamericana. Records suggest that the car was owned from 1959 to 1980 by a close friend of Rosier – a Mr Gay – and in total it has had only eight owners.
Chassis number ‘140031’ was restored in 1994 while in the ownership of a Mr Grolleau and comes with a detailed restoration file containing photographs and invoices together with a detailed history file relating to the model and this car in particular. The immediately preceding owner, a well-known Talbot aficionado, drove the car enthusiastically at Talbot events at home in the UK and overseas, taking part the STD Register’s 80th Anniversary celebration trip to Tours in 2003. The current vendor acquired the car at Bonhams’ Goodwood Revival Sale in September 2003 (Lot 102) since when it has been carefully stored, regularly maintained and occasionally exercised.
Superbly equipped in all areas, it features grey upholstery to the interior, opening rear quarter lights, sliding Perspex side windows, quick-release filler cap, SEV Marchal headlamps and Jaeger instruments. Later twin-choke Weber carburettors have been fitted to enhance performance while an electric fan and alternator have been added for reliability and convenience (the original dynamo is offered with the car). This thoroughbred sports car comes with UK V5 document for the registration mark ‘TSL 852’ and a truly impeccable and distinguished provenance.
This example was registered in France on May 15th of 1956. It is believed that in 1957 it was in new ownership, and given new registration. By 1991, it was in the care of a Paris resident. By 2005, it had been purchased by a German dealer, who sold it to Mr. James Weddle of st. Louis, Missouri, the following year. It later entered the Michael Schudroff collection. Auction Source: 2009 Gooding & Company Pebble Beach Auction