Also known as the 40/50 HP, the Type O6 was introduced in 1913 as the flagship Delaunay-Belleville. The chassis alone cost considerably more than an average automobile and was primary competition for Panhard et Levassor, Renault and Rolls-Royce. At such a high cost, many Type O6s were ordered by the military or heads of state.
At the center of this car is an 8-liter engine connected to Delaunay-Belleville’s pioneering multi-plate clutch and patented oil pump lubrication system. The engine has two blocks each containing three cylinders with side-valve cylinder heads.
Power is sent to the rear wheels by means of a drive shaft unlike the chain-drive found on many models from the era. Stopping power from the pedal works directly on the drive shaft while the hand brake is provided for the two rear drums.
After 55 examples had been made, the model was upgraded to O6B specification. Only a few O6B prototypes were made. The standard O6 chassis was offered with a 3580mm wheelbase while a longer 3740 was available.
Our feature car is chassis 6563 and retains an original partinium body by J. Rothschild & Fils. One of the earliest owners was Mr Edward Daubree of the Michelin et Cie rubber company. It was used in the motorcade for President Raymond Poincaré in the Dordogne in 1913. By 1920 the car was outfitted with electric lights and by WWII the car was stored permanently by the Laurière family.
In 1986 Pierre de Brou de Laurière discovered the family car alongside a Bugatti and began to work on both. After nearly 50 years storage the Delaunay-Belleville was brought back to a road-worthy state using its original engine, a new soft top and a new starter.
At their 2012 Motorcars au Rétromobile sale, Artcurial offered the Rothschild Tourer with its original engine and body. This was the first time the car was offered for sale since it was built in 1913.