1/4 mile

Discussion in '1994 Dauer 962 Le Mans' started by Accelerator, Apr 16, 2006.

1. this thing is fast

2. "Divenrage have you personally test driven the 16/4 and the 962?" Have you tested any exotics listed on this site or any other magazine? That's what they are for. To tell us about the experience.
    "Last time I checked the 16/4 managed to beat the supposed topspeed of the 962 by 2.5 mph, not only is that not a feat, nor impressive but that is quite pathetic" Uhm, at that speed a tenth of a mile an hour is impressive. At speeds above 200MPH the .cd is very very important. If I'm not mistaken the power needed to get over 200MPH is squared or something to that effect. If making 2.5mph difference at that speed wasn't a big deal, everything from Corvettes to Supras would be going 200MPH no problem.
    "I recently checked Bugatti's site as well as e-mailing them and not only has Bugatti NOT produced 25 16/4's but Bugatti hasn't even produced 6. " The Bugatti production is still running. They have not produced all the models that have been spoken for. (That is typical of Hyper exotics)

3. and how about that new 962 model????
    its already 2007
    ajzahn!!! whats the status of the development???

4. and how about that new 962 model????
    its already 2007

5. and how about that new 962 model????
    its already 2007

6. yes your right the bugatti veyron isnt a piece of crap... its a great car but what blows is its extremely low MPG!!! other than that its a very sexy and FAST!!!! car

7. I don't like the exterior styling of the Veyron, therefore it isn't sexy.

8. #33 DivineRage, Feb 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    For all of you who dont believe it, here's a video of the Veyron doing 253mph.

Now mind you, this guy is NOT a professional driver, he drove a couple supercars, but he never did any sort of professional racing, or ever attempted such feat before. And as you can see, not only did the Veyron reach 253mph (407kmh), but it did it with perfect stability, this is what's so fantastic about this car, it does the extreme, and does it like it was nothing. Yes, it has a huge engine, and will burn 100 litres of fuel in 12 mins, SO WHAT?!?

In a Ferrari, and Lamborghini, or whatever other supercar out there, anything above 200mph feels like the whole car will fall apart, and the Veyron just goes smoothly.

9. i meant luxurious, my bad. the exterior is weird....

10. You are a retard.

Have you test-driven the 962? Or the Veyron? or the McLaren F1? or any of the cars you keep referring to as "pies of shit"? Can you do better? Have you done better? Then how the hell do YOU know if they are unstable, or if they're not at any chance, at speds ecxeeding 250mph?

Of course they're gonna be unstable, you IDIOT! It's simple physics... In laymans terms: The area of the tires touching the floor at any particular moment, times the force being applied to them (weight+downforce) times the coeffcient of friction between te tyres and the pavement, gives you the total friction, or grip. I don't care how much downfrce you have, the car is always goig to exhibit unstable behaviour after certain speed, as it becomes more difficult for the car to stay on the ground. Of course aerodynamics, or downforce come into the equation for overall stability, but we all know that at speeds such as 250mph you ar not exactly handlingthe car as you are more like holding on fo life.

In any case, you are making this huge production out of some insignificant shit, as top speed is nowhere nearly as important as handling over driveable conditions, plus, what good is top speed if there are few places in the planet where you can actually try and max your car out, (and by this I'm not implying that the 16/4 is a better handling car, obviously it's not, so don't get startd on that crap or on demanding "proof" of anything).

Next time you feel compelled to trash other people based merely on what they have not driven, take a moment and consider what YOU have NOT drivnen either, and of how that just makes you look like a complete ASS! Then remember that this is a FORUM for expressing OPINIONS, and if you don't like a certain car then that may make it shit to you, but bear in mind, your expert opinion isn't worth shit to most, and the basis for saying that a car is good or not is not can come down to different facts for different people.

Anyway, were you ran over by a Bugatti or something? Why so much hate towards it? It's a good car, wether you like it or not. It certainly has it's defects, and it will certainly not be remembered as the best supercar. Hell, I don't even like it that much myself... but the FACT is that you WILL find it at the top part of any list of supercars, and that means that there is SOMETHING about this car that makes it belong up there with the best, and no matter how angry you get, it will remain there. GET OVER IT!

11. You are a retard.

Have you test-driven the 962? Or the Veyron? or the McLaren F1? or any of the cars you keep referring to as "pieces of shit"? Can you do better? Have you done better? Then how the hell do YOU know if they are unstable, or if they're not at any chance, at speeds ecxeeding 250mph?

Of course they're gonna be unstable, you IDIOT! It's simple physics... In laymans terms: The area of the tires touching the floor at any particular moment, times the force being applied to them (weight+downforce) times the coeffcient of friction between te tires and the pavement, gives you the total friction, or grip. I don't care how much downfrce you have, the car is always goig to exhibit unstable behaviour after certain speed, as it becomes more difficult for the car to keep a straight course. Of course aerodynamics, and other factors come into the equation for overall stability, but we all know that at speeds such as 250mph you ar not exactly handling the car as you are more like holding on for life.

In any case, you are making this huge production out of some insignificant shit, as top speed is nowhere nearly as important as handling over driveable conditions (so one is 2 mph faster than the other, neither will ever see those speeds in a track), plus, what good is top speed if there are few places in the planet where you can actually try and max your car out, (and by this I'm not implying that the 16/4 is a better handling car, obviously it's not, so don't get startd on that crap or on demanding "proof" of anything).

Next time you feel compelled to trash other people based merely on what they have not driven, take a moment and consider what YOU have NOT driven, and of how that just makes you look like a complete ASS! Then remember that this is a FORUM for expressing OPINIONS, and if you don't like a certain car, then that may make the car crap to you, but bear in mind that your expert opinion isn't worth shit to most, and that the basis for stating wether a car is good or not can come down to different facts for different people.

Anyway, were you ran over by a Bugatti or something? Why so much hate towards it? It's a good car, wether you like it or not. It certainly has it's defects, and it will certainly not be remembered as the best supercar. Hell, I don't even like it that much myself... but the FACT is that you WILL find it at the top part of any list of supercars ANYWHERE, and that means that there is SOMETHING about this car that makes it belong up there with the best, and no matter how angry you get, it will remain there. SO QUIT YOUR F&*%@ING WHINING AND GET OVER IT!

12. #37 Microfono99, May 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Crap! The vieo is no longer available, is there anywhere else where it can be viewed?

13. not to insult the car or anything... but to your response of:

"When driving at 180mph in the Veyron, not only can you have a conversation on your cellphone, but you can DIAL it."

WTF!!! does that have to do with its top speed.

14. Fixed.

15. It means that it keeps a perfect stability at this speeds, which means that it can go faster, while staying safe.

I wouldnt want to see someone trying to dial a cellphone while doing 180mph in a McLaren F1.

16. Whoa Whoa Whoa, people!? Let's not get ahead of ourselves! Why does this always have to be McLaren vs. Dauer vs. of all things the VEYRON? Can't you people see that they are very different machines with different purposes? I've done my research, and here's the breakdown:

BUGATTI VEYRON: This car should not even be compared to the other two because it is a luxury GT car, and not an all-out sports car. The "GT" designation does not refer to the performance of the vehicle (which is clearly in the same neighborhood as the others), but rather to the level of compromise between luxury and performance. Beautiful wood and aluminum dash trim and supple carpets are not features found on a balls-out sports car like the McLaren F1 or a racecar like the 962. Dauer's modifications include leather trim and a navigation system, but this is clearly not the same as a car that's been hand built with luxury in mind as an essential feature of the car. They've just added the interior upgrades to make the car more comfortable and less intimidating for everyday drivers. The Veyron's complex transmission, 4 wheel drive, boatload of electronics and amenities, and huge engine result in a curb weight of 3500+ pounds! It is by no means a "race car for the road," but rather a "road car for the road." The Veyron is for long-distance cruises accross Europe via the autobahn, not for track use. Yet its incredible engineering and modern technology enable it to achieve performance figure that 10 years ago were confined to stripped-down racing prototypes like the Dauer. THIS is what makes the Veyron an amazing car!

MCLAREN F1: This car is considered by many to be the ultimate supercar. Though it has been surpassed in raw performance since its creation about 13 years ago, this car continue's to be the most "special" supercar since the Ferrari 250 GTO. Gordon Murray's radical vision, fanatical obsession with saving weight, and exacting attention to detail have resulted in a supercar as perfectly designed as one could possibly be. Gold lines the engine bay not as a gaudy show of wealth, but because it is so effective at retaining the heat of the engine. The F1 is the ideal supercar. Perfect layout, perfect body (funtionally, though maybe not visually), the perfect engine, etc. It has been the benchmark against which all others have been measured for 13 years! Other cars may be faster (Dauer 962 LM), cheaper (Ultima GTR), newer (Caparo T1), or more practical (bugatti Veyron), but there will never be another car like the original McLaren F1.

DAUER 962LM: This car is a refurbished version of the world's most successful racing prototype, the Porsche 962. Jochen Dauer (founder of Dauer) obtained several 962 chassis and modified them for road use, renaming them "Dauer chassis 001," etc. He added only what was needed to get the cars licensed, plus a few interior amenities that he felt would make the car easier to sell (after all, leather was expected of a $1 million plus supercar). The beauty of this car is its simplicity. It is not a masterpiece of technology like the Veyron or a masterpiece of design like the F1, it's just a thinly-disguised race car! In my mind, THIS car is the best example of the overused cliche "racecar for the road." The McLaren F1 is a road car for the race track or even a road car for the road. It's been a successful racer, but first and foremost it's a road car. Gordon Murray set out to design the ideal road car, not the ideal race car. THAT is the essential difference between the Dauer and the McLaren.

So, which is best? If you like luxury, comfort, and refinement in a rocket-ship of a GT, choose the Veyron. If you want to experience the purest distillation of the road-racer with no frills, bells, or whistles to interfere with the driving experience, pick the Dauer. Finally, if you want to experience the ultimate icon of road-going supercars and the immaculate design of a genius's masterpiece, go for the F1. Either way, you wont be dissapointed.

HOPEFULLY 30 MINUTES OF MY BUSY LIFE IS SUFFICIENT TO END THIS ARGUMENT!!!!

17. oh i knew that but I wanted to see what was your response...

18. I agree with ultima GTR on this one. I mean I've always wanted a veyron all so I can throw some 22" deep dish rims on it and go to the club or something. Its a luxury vehicle, like a 250 mph lamborgini or something, a show stopper. Something that you can pick a high class model up in or something not to be compared to a RAW race car like the Dauer.

The Dauer isn't even in the same class as the Mclaren F1. Its in the same class as the Mclaren F1 LM, and other fast track cars(even though after looking at interior pictures i'd rather drive a Dauer than a MCF1 LM as it looks alot more comfortable) And i don't see why the hell everyone cares so much speed. Maybe because im from america and the most i'll ever go on a freeway is 175 im my modified RX-7 before hitting traffic. Seriously where the hell are you going to drive a Dauer or a Veyron 250+MPH at? Is the auto ban that long(i've never seen it)? And i disagree with one thing Ultima you're not going to drive the Veyron everyday. Where i live, gas is 3$+ per gallon and driving a 1001 HP car to and from work isn't going to look so well on my wallet(but assuming one would have 1,250,000 laying around to buy a new toy then they should be able to afford the gas M I RITE?) but still you'd have to fill the thing up so much it would get annoying after a while same gos with the Dauer.

And The F1 is just a supercar, an expensive stunning exotic that comes with 3 person seating. I would bring in the radio and the AC but im pretty sure the Veyron has all of that, and the Dauer has radio, but no AC i think.

One last thing, i know that stabibility is really shaky at 250 for the Veyron, and at high speeds for the Mclaren, but the Dauer is a Race built car with a high amount of downforce. I mean if I WERE to drive a car to 250 MPH with the least worry of spinning out, flipping over about 55 times with my car falling apart then bursting into flames, id take the Dauer.

My final desicion is if i had enough money, i'd buy all three and use the Mclaren when ever i have an urge for a minage(sp?)

19. And i'd get a Black veyron and throw some D's on that #%[email protected] and go to the club.

And maybe street race alittle bit with the Dauer as long as my engine doesn't blow up.

20. It's a horizontally opposed 6, it's impossible to blow the engine.

21. Really? I didn't know it was impossible to blow the engine. Usually when you think 720 hp twim turbo beast, you think about the engine over heating and malfunctioning. So you tell me if I just so happened to have one and I stuck it in nuetral and Revd it to 7400 RPMs for a long ass time then it wouldnt blow?

22. you fail at life.

reason: being utterly incapable of picking up on the use of obvious sarcasm to establish the fact that horizontally opposed engines are incredibly durable

edit: entire post

23. but just for the record, that 720hp Twin Turbo beast dominated the competition back in 1993/1994 under the incredible stress of your average racing conditions, including two 24hr. non-stop races without a single engine failure. So, I'm pretty sure that standing on the throttle at 7200rpm for several minutes isn't going to do shit. Maybe not even if you did it for several hours....though a few days...MAY produce some disastrous results.

24. No, i got your post, I've just never heard of an engine thats IMPOSSIBLE to blow. I already understand how durable the engine is i've read a bit but engine failures can happen. And that 962 was the racing prototype not the street leegal version. No one in there right mind would push a Dauer 962 to its limits on the street. I was just playing too I just wanted to end all this comparing arguments crap and highlight that all those cars that people are comparing are all beautiful cars and should be praised for they're rarity and other qualities.

25. again, you didn't pick up on the sarcasm, obviously no engine is impossible to blow, I was pointing out the engine's durability by overstating it. It was a wry comment. Kinda like saying that Honda and Toyota engines are bulletproof.

The Porsche-Dauer 962's were ever so slightly dummed down to be made street legal for the 962 LM. The Engine is every bit as durable in the street version...possibly more so due to greater emission restrictors on it (such as increased backpressure on the exhaust). Then there's the fact that it's a horizontally opposed 6, horizontally opposed engines are inherently more durable than conventional inline and V engines due to their design (for example; less vibration in the pistons/on the camshaft since each rotation of the camshaft sets the next pistons to combust in line for their next combustion)