Discussion in '2000 BMW Z8' started by EliteWolverine, Aug 9, 2002.

1. <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 128k

why the fck it cost so damn much.

plz dont say luxury....thats a sad excuse.

damn nice car though, damn nice car.

just cant get over the price<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: 128k

That's 128k plus the mark up. I was at a BMW dealer on Monday and they were asking 190k+ for it.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: 128k

well, jewelry does cost alot...<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: 128k

and don't forget that the 0-60 is truely like 4.7 (car and driver did a shoot out between the Z8 and the 360)<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: 128k

...and that particular Z8 did it in 4.6 seconds, beating the 360 Modena Spider F1 to 130 mph by a blistering 2.7 seconds.

MT was the one that hit 4.2 in this thing. I'm confident it's a solid 4.5 second car on most days.

Back to the question, it is an immensely expensive car. But it is almost entirely hand made. The sheetmetal and chassis are made of aluminum, and are constructed in-house by specially selected BMW engineers/craftsmen. (The 360 Modena, on the other hand, is assembled by ALCOA employees using ALCOA equipment working in a factory-within-a-factory in the Ferrari plant.) Just about none of the switchgear within the interior is shared with any other car in the BMW lineup, and the leather is also stitched by hand. From the outside, it looks like no other BMW as well. Something that can be said for the M3, M5, or M Roadster/Coupe.
    And being a low-volume car, BMW figures it will need to make up for production and development costs which are not feasible, vs. a mass-produced car like the 3 Series. Which it can sell in much larger numbers, but with a lower profit-per-unit margin.
    And quite simply, the demand is there. They've had to increase production just to meet demand. When these first came out, quite a few left the lots with a $50-100K premium. I've heard that one recently sold in Santa Monica for $240K.

7. Re: 128k

dunnow why its so expensive but I LOVE IT, but here its the same price as you said but when I went to United Arab Emirates I was looking for a car, I went to the BMW dealership and there was one black with black and red interior aluminum package every option was Included, I asked how much the sales man said 100K but we would give it to you for 95K, I didn't beleive it, but I didn't buy it I went home and bought a Porsche Turbo for 130K, and I didn't regret it for one second cuz I LOVE MY CAR!! and I'm hopping to upgrade it soon the be exactly like the Techart GT Street with 620 HP!! but the Z8 iz still a GR8 car.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: 128k

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>...and that particular Z8 did it in 4.6 seconds, beating the 360 Modena Spider F1 to 130 mph by a blistering 2.7 seconds.

MT was the one that hit 4.2 in this thing. I'm confident it's a solid 4.5 second car on most days.

Back to the question, it is an immensely expensive car. But it is almost entirely hand made. The sheetmetal and chassis are made of aluminum, and are constructed in-house by specially selected BMW engineers/craftsmen. (The 360 Modena, on the other hand, is assembled by ALCOA employees using ALCOA equipment working in a factory-within-a-factory in the Ferrari plant.) Just about none of the switchgear within the interior is shared with any other car in the BMW lineup, and the leather is also stitched by hand. From the outside, it looks like no other BMW as well. Something that can be said for the M3, M5, or M Roadster/Coupe.
    And being a low-volume car, BMW figures it will need to make up for production and development costs which are not feasible, vs. a mass-produced car like the 3 Series. Which it can sell in much larger numbers, but with a lower profit-per-unit margin.
    And quite simply, the demand is there. They've had to increase production just to meet demand. When these first came out, quite a few left the lots with a $50-100K premium. I've heard that one recently sold in Santa Monica for $240K.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->It is a good thing you set things straight.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: 128k

The first Z8 BMW of Las Vegas sold for went for $230k+ I believe...crazy mark up on these cars. But hey if you got the money spend it.