1. Re: ?

extra length to compensate for the torque during acceleration. similar to the top fuel drag cars...ultra-light rear wheel drive cars usually need a wheelie bar to keep the car from entering a wheelie.

2. Re: ?

Well, most people have legs.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: ?

they can't fit a A V12 in there. It is a tight squeze even to get the inline 4 they have into the car, it is really a tiny car. I saw a replica of the Super 7 (same car, just earlier) yesterday and it is really really small.

4. Re: ?

But a V8 can! Westfield was able to do it with the SEight.

5. Re: ?

The engine is mounted quite a long way back to get the 50-50 weight distribution. The battery is up in the nose cone but not much else. It also means that if you do crash into something there is a bit of a crumple zone before the engine hits your legs. Not much though. The biggest engine I have heard of (in a Westfield) is a 5 litre TVR V8. I know someone with a 4.2 V8 with nitrous. That shifts.

6. Re: ?

You don't need a V12 in this car. The basic idea is to keep things light and as long as the weight is 500 kg. even the four cylinder engine is powerful enough. By the way the car is really not that large in the front and some space is taken up by the carbs, the filters and the exhaust system so you're not left with very much space

7. Re: ?

same idea with lotus<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: ?

911 Gt1 EVO Street
    Porsche 911 Carrera- 2000
    As of now

<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: ?

when lotus made the first of this cars way backwhen they had 27 hp i believe. 230-240 hp in same car is scary....<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: ?

"How come the front of this car is so long. I seem like they could fit a V12 in there, why do they need the extra length in the front, or is there something important in there that i have overlooked."-XJJ..
    THEY NEED THE EXTRA SPACE SO THEY COULD PUT IN A SMALLER ENGINE TO MAKE THE CAR LIGHTER. SORRY IF IM USEING TO BIG OF WORDS FOR YOU.DO U KNOW HOW MUCH A V12 WEIGHTS... WAIT, OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE REALLY DUMB HOBO THAT KNOWS ABOUT ANYTHING!PS UR STUPID U STUPID PERSON U!<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: ?

its to apply the old roadster in the "new roadster" models. its like the good ol' days lol. its a very nice car id have to say.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: ?

this car generates the roadstery/old car image. frankly i like it alot. not everything needs a v12 or something. also an inline four would offer better balance at a lower cost.

13. Re: ?

they should put turbo in this one and around 250 would be very nice<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: ?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lotec Gtr</i>
    <b>
    they should put turbo in this one and around 250 would be very nice</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Or better yet, the Honda S2000's 2.0 liter unit!
    240hp, Normally Aspirated, revving to 9000rpm, in a 500kg car!!<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: ?

Dax make a car similar with a cosworth turbo and 4 wheel drive. Its on here somewhere. They also make one with a suzuki hayabusa engine turboed generating about 350bhp. The S2000 engine gets used in similar cars in Australia quite a lot. If the engine fits, someone will have done it. Supercharged 5 litre TVR V8 anyone? I saw one at a show. I know someone with a 4.2 V8 with nitrous in their Westfield.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: ?

Ugh, A V8 is not going to be much longer than an Inline four. But anyways, what is everyone's deal with the S2000 engine? It isn't the perfect motor as all of it's power resides in the upper reaches of the rev band. Also, a preferable engine is a Super Sport bike engine, and they use them: Suzuki Haybusa or whatever it is in the Westfield Megabusa. Caterham uses Honda engines to creat the Blackbird, and another one...I forget what it is. But one of the Editors of the Evo magazine is making one with a 175 horse bike engine...in a caterham pared down evern further than this...they are aiming for 375 Kilos. Now that will be a #$%#ing rocket.

17. Re:
    ?

ohh ive been lookin alll over for engine topics for the caterham but YES! i found it and ive been thinking alot about this and at first i thought of puttin a twin turbo chevy v8 but i thought it might make it too heavy so what ya think of a twin turbo v6?

18. Re:
    ?

or an inline 6 with a turbo? but i think inline six would be too long and the center of gravity will be screwed up as well as 50-50 weight

19. #19 Gilardi, Feb 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016

Re:
    ?

damn i keep gettin new things in my mind about engines on a caterham, if u go to the www.spectrum5racing.com and ull see the ultima and with the twin turbo chevy v8 with intercoolers on the side DAMN!! that would look hot on a caterham seeing 2 vents on the side of the fuselage for the intercoolers

20. ??
    i have no clue wat everyone is talkin about hehehehe