180 degree american V8.... ironic...

Discussion in '2002 Cadillac LMP-02' started by DeLosQueSaben, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

Did anyone read the foreword or introduction to this car? It says clearly: "...complement the 180-degree CRANKSHAFT...".

2. they've abandonded convention and tradition with american iron in this obviously. but i don't think we'd see a flat 8 in a production caddy<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

its denial, they're still calling it a V even though its flat

4. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

oh ya just noticed that, they are pretty stupid if they are still calling it a V8 though a 180 is flat, i hope the engineers now that.

5. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

It's NOT a boxer 8, or a flat 8 for that matter. They run a flat 180degree CRANKSHAFT now, instead of what ever they were running.....this modification is present in the last year's car too....<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

exactly, this aint no flat-8, its a V8, probably a 90 degree V, must b a mistake in the info on this site coz the cars definitely a V8

as for porsche loving it, well remember porsche, and ferrari for that matter, used to make flat-12 racing engines, in sportscars and formula 1 respectively, porsche even made a flat-16 for the Can-Am series in 1973, but abandoned the idea when they found that the twin-turbo flat-12 had more power

i dont know y horizontally oposed engines arent used more often, theyre the best config of engine there is, only problem comes if the car is like a Group C car and has huge underbody venturis which favour V-engine shapes, but thats not the case here

7. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

dispite the fact that it favors V engine in Group C, the winningest Group C car is still the flat-6 Porsche 956/962....go figure....<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

yeh RacingManiac, be that as it may, the Porsche 956/962 was 1 of the best racing car designs of all time, however it was the winningest car in group c merely because it was around in 1982, whereas the significantly faster cars like the Merc C11, Nissan R89/90 etc, Toyota 90CV, and Jag XJR-12 only started racing in the late 80s, after the Porsches had swept the board at Le Mans for SIX years running

the underbody venturis did however favour V-engines because the tunnels could start alongside the engine with a V, but could only start further back, behind the engine with a flat-6, unless the venturis started at the very edges of the car before sweeping in around the gearbox

9. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

I believe the C11 was the 1991 car, the XJR-12 was also the early 90 car, and none of those car did win Le Mans......

It is true though due to the flat engine design, it's harder to fully utilize the underbody aero.....<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

ok if ur gonna b specific, lol

i said the C11 because it superseded the C9 of 1989 (which did win LM24) and the XJR12 because it superseded the XJR9 of 1988 (which also won LM)

11. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

Yes, actually I did read that... What does your name mean?<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

His name "de los que saben" means "of those that know"<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

It's not what you would call a classic American v8, considering it's a twin-turbo V8 Northstar engine in the back of it, and they'll need it to equal the power of Audi turbo V8.

14. Re: 180 degree american V8.... ironic...

maybe it was based on the v8 northstar or it is still a v8.. ya never kno....... do u kno all the facts? of course not! then stop acting like ure mr king of know it all cuz i am ! heheheheh ahhahahhaha