185!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1958 Lotus Elite' started by vwdrivervw, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Why would they say something like that?

Sparetire, they could have very easily tested this in a windtunnel...hell, the Wright brothers used a windtunnel to design the first plane...that was around 1900, this was more than 60 years later.

2. Re: Why would they say something like that?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from fordracing</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from maranello29</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TownshipRebellion</i>
    <b>that's why a ferrari 360 modena can hit nearly 190 MPH with only 370 some odd horse power. best aerodynamics in the world!

(correct me if I'm wrong, btw)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The 360 Modena has good aerodynamics because it has a lot of downforce for stability. Downforce creates drag, though. I'd say the 360 can go 190 just because it's a Ferrari and that's what Ferraris do. I can't find the 360's Cd in my magazine articles but from what I know about downforce it creates drag. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

so if i put a ferrari emblem on my dads explorer, it will go 190? if i wear the ferrari/fila shoes will i go 190, just because its a ferrari?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Umm.. if you put a ferrari logo on an explorer.. its still a ford explorer, it just has a ferrari stick slapped on it.. If you take the ferrari logo of the Modena and replaced it with a ford logo, it's still a Modena. It has to actually be a Ferrari, not just have the logo on it.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Why would they say something like that?

Coefficient of drag is important, but changes in gearing make a much greater impact. To say that the fact that this car has an impact in anyway in car history, or that it is remotely historically significant, because it has a low drag coefficient is ludicrous. Without any power, it doesn't matter.

Hey goat boy - would you like some tri-power to go with your 389?

4. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

I like the way you put that.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

Granted - a lighter car can stop sooner, given equal braking methods. That's a given, no one is arguing there. Accelerating out of the corner, though, is equally important. And handling the corner itself has, as we have been discussing, little to do with the actual weight of the car.

Formula 1 race cars are 1200 lbs because they can accelerate better with a lighter frame - same as a top fuel dragster (which weighs about the same, actually). It would actually be more accurate to say that they weigh that much, not that little, because they are weighted at points to make them more stable around the track.

Everything you've said, my Norwegian friend, is fine ECCEPT that a lighter car will automatically corner better than a heavier car. Humvees handle fine (at 55 mph, where they top out) - they handle better than most passenger cars. They have a low center of gravity and all wheel drive. They also weigh over 10,000 lbs. They couldn't outhandle an F1 car at 180, obviously - but they can outhandle a Taurus at 55, weighing almost 3 times as much.

6. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

Then we finaly agree! A vauxhall viva does not take a Volvo XC-90 because it's lighter! Many things counts! Frames, suspension, weight, tyres + + + + +!
    What kind of class do you race? Historic, Standard cars ???<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

I race a '66 Mustang in the ProStreet circuit, little bit of circle strack (sprint cars), but mostly on the street. It's huge over here.

8. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

Ower here?? That means?
    I race historic racing with my 63 Elan and my Eupropa!<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

West Coast, Seattle, WA area. Huge street racing scene. Lots of money, girls, and fast cars. Almost as fun as the track.

10. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

Just Like from the Movie "Fast and the Furius"?????
    It sounds loke it!<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

Actually, yes. People even say I look like Vin Diesel. But money is rarely (although occasionally) put down, and there are crotch rockets, muscle cars, a few exotics and a lot of wanna be's to go with the ryce burners.

12. Re: 185!!!!!!!

Actually I think that's 185 Kph, not MPH so it equates to an less impressive 115 MPH.

13. Re: 185!!!!!!!

You read wrong, it is indeed only 115 mph.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: 185!!!!!!!

ROFL!<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: 185!!!!!!!

Still I would love to own one.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: 185!!!!!!!

lol...185 mph. 115 is still pretty d*** impressive though. and looking at its weight, it must handle extremely well, like all lotus's of today.

17. Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but just

18. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

italian looks

19. Hmmm.

Maybe that's true...it IS a very strange conspiracy! lol
    I thought the stats were wrong myself.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

Style, my friend, style. Anyway, with the long hood, you could put a lambo V12 in there or something. Weighing in at 1/3 the weight of the Diablo, this thing would cruise.<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

lotus is about handling. the marque has always gone for low weight as opposed to putting a huge cubic inch engine in a heavy car for speed (as you name suggests, you're a fan of the classic muscle car). in achieving a low curb weight, they are able to utilize a smaller powerplant to get comperable performance. if you threw in a heavy cast iron block V8 of the era (or even modern for that matter), the car would be rediculously nose-heavy and the handling would go to shit. putting a V12 in the car, even with its large engine bay, would ruin everything the lotus is about.<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

Lotus has always been known forhaving great handling cars. Maybe they should have supercharged the 4cyl.<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

If you have seen a Elite with a 4cyl Coventry Climax engine with aprox. 135 hp on a racetrack, then you will understand that you don't need a supercharged v-12 or something like that!
    Remember: A car that weights 700 kg and has 80 hp is much faster than a 1400 kg car fittet with a 160 bhp engine! It's pure fysics my friends! Thats the whole consept of the Lotus cars!<!-- Signature -->

24. 185 mph!!! out of an inline 4!! 80l1 hp!! puts some ferrari's to shame.......<!-- Signature -->

25. Re: Why do all of these older Lotus's have huge front ends but j

Typically uneducated defense of foreign engineering, no offense, my friends. A light car will be FASTER, but handling has less to do with weight than you suggest.

A 1963 Corvette, weighing in at just over a ton and sporting a 325-horse 327 Cast-Iron small block took this car in every forum. The Shelby Mustangs, racing on Cypress in '66 and '67, defeated the entire Lotus forum on the circle track.

With a multi-piece fiberglass form, something almost as important as weight is sacrificed: stability. Without a solid, more rigid body, exceptional handling is all but impossible. Even the formidable Z06 is almost all steel, only the front clip and hood are fiberglass. The Porsche is still a metal monster. These cars ouhandle lighter, faster, more fiberglass-endowed Italian supercar thanks, in part, to their more rigid, solid frames.

A lighter body is no substitution for a tighter, heavier suspension. And 80 horse power is 80 horse power - 700 Kg or not. My 400-lb F3 has more horsepower than that.