2.3 turbos

Discussion in '1983 Ford Mustang SVO' started by gargantuan, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Here are a few examples of the other Ford 2.3Turbo cars out there.

Gen I '83-'86 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and a Cougar XR-7 2.3T.('84-'86)

2. Re: 2.3 turbos

The Murker XR4Ti.

3. Re: 2.3 turbos

And my favorite, for obvious resons, the Gen II Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. This one has only 1261 miles on it. The last has After market Cobra 17's and a dealer instaled optional spoiler.

4. #4 gargantuan, Nov 14, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: 2.3 turbos

These are modded versions. The last isn't a TC, but it's the skirting I wanted to show.

If you want to see mine, go ahead.

www.cardomain.com/id/oldraven

5. Re: 2.3 turbos

A bit slow for the hp output, maybe too heavy?

6. Re: 2.3 turbos

Actualy, at 3415lbs, it's not as heavy as you would think for a Thunderbird. Having a four, as opposed to an eight, makes a big difference in acceleration and handling. Handles better than the mustangs of the era, and most f-body's. None the less, 0-60 in 8.5 was nothing to sneeze at back in '87. These things are realy easy to tune as well. A 14 sec. et is quite doable with very little investment. A boost control valve, higher flowing exhaust, front mount intercooler, and a cold air makes all the difference in the world.

7. Re: 2.3 turbos

Slow? No way. It just really isn't quick. To get to 60, you need third gear (or you can really redline the motor).

I have an S4 as my daily driver. While I can't claim to have your 400hp, I won't claim it is stock, either. The S4 is smooth. ultra-powerful and ultra-luxury. My 88 Turbo Coupe (the black one above with Cobra wheels) is raw fun, with all the same luxury bells and whistles. Plus I can modify the motor all I want without some schmuck voiding its warranty.

8. Re: 2.3 turbos

Welcome to supercars Scott. You'll have a head-ache in no time. Nice to have someone to help in the fight for the 2.3 turbo.

9. Re: 2.3 turbos

Thanks. This is vicious. See you back at NATO.

10. Re: 2.3 turbos

FINALLY! glad to see some more with my lil fetish. im in the middle of a svo clone buildup, based on a 90 lx 4cyl, any suggestions?

11. yeah go ta junkyard and you will most likely find the turbocharger for the turbocoupe t bird. and all you turbo coupe guys i have the suspension control shit and the 88 front nose piece if anyone is interested in it..

12. I agree, that isn't very slow.....anything under 10 seconds to 100km/h and 15second 1/4 is pretty good for any car pre-2000

though, I wonder, would you be one of those putz's that say the Civic is slow, when the 1990 Civic Si hit 100km/h in 8.2 seconds? Answer honestly, and let us all know if you are a hypocrite...