2002 T-bird VS. SC430

Discussion in '2002 Lexus SC430 Pace Car' started by RLQ, Aug 10, 2002.

1. In some whys both cars look alike. Both cars are luxury cars not perfromance cars. I like T-bird because of its 50's looks not for its HP. I like the SC430 because of it's hardtop-convertible. But in some whys the SC 430 and T-bird are weird. I wonder what you guys think.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

There is no comparison between the two. The lexus (even in stock form) is a wonderfully designed car, not even including aesthetics (which I'll leave out because that's a matter of opinion), while the ford is...a ford. I could leave it at that, but some of you think ford is great, so I'll go on. As far as luxury goes, no ford can compete with a top of the line lexus (except maybe jaguar, but I seriously doubt a souped up contour is better than a lexus), the ford is much less reliable (although perhaps cheaper to repair), and as far as performance goes, there's no comparison. So the only reason left to buy the ford is either price (which isn't all that different...), or if you simply think it looks better or want a slower car. I honestly don't think they're in the same class though, but that's just my opinion.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

You are comparing a 35k dollar car to a 60k dollar car. I would still take the Lexus though.

4. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

GTRules: you're saying that ford sucks. ever heard of SVT Cobra R? or perhaps the GT40 and GT90? i might not be a fan of domestics but i do think that they deserve respect for the nice cars they make/made

you are so right-you are the man

FORD performance:
    GT40 mk.1-5, all SVT products, almost every mustang ever made, turboMercurs, their countless nascar victories, FORD started true rally racing, not to mention that Henry Ford was one of the founders of racing as we know it. shall i continue the list?

if you want to insult Ford's racing abilities just consult Jackie Stewart, Henry Ford, Henry Ford II, Mario Andretti, Frank Kulick, Barney Oldfeild, Jim Clark, and most importantly Dan Gurney (and everyone else involved in the GT40 story) and all the thousands of other racers and owners with racing at heart who made Ford what it is A RACING INSPIRED AUTOMOBILE COMPANY<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

your comparing a $40k car with a $80k car. that seems like the way to do it.

6. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1966pontiac</i>
    <b>There is no comparison between the two. The lexus (even in stock form) is a wonderfully designed car, not even including aesthetics (which I'll leave out because that's a matter of opinion), while the ford is...a ford. I could leave it at that, but some of you think ford is great, so I'll go on. As far as luxury goes, no ford can compete with a top of the line lexus (except maybe jaguar, but I seriously doubt a souped up contour is better than a lexus), the ford is much less reliable (although perhaps cheaper to repair), and as far as performance goes, there's no comparison. So the only reason left to buy the ford is either price (which isn't all that different...), or if you simply think it looks better or want a slower car. I honestly don't think they're in the same class though, but that's just my opinion.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

have any reason to say fords arent reliable? and the new T bird is very comfortable. both cars arent meant to go fast, theyre for 50 year old guys who want a car to cruise around in. the T bird is a very good car for what it is supposed to do, and i will definately take it. i cant stand the looks of the lexus, and the T bird is much cheaper.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

Well some people compare the SC 430 w/ the SL 55 and that car is about $115,000.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1966pontiac</i>
    <b>There is no comparison between the two. The lexus (even in stock form) is a wonderfully designed car, not even including aesthetics (which I'll leave out because that's a matter of opinion), while the ford is...a ford. I could leave it at that, but some of you think ford is great, so I'll go on. As far as luxury goes, no ford can compete with a top of the line lexus (except maybe jaguar, but I seriously doubt a souped up contour is better than a lexus), the ford is much less reliable (although perhaps cheaper to repair), and as far as performance goes, there's no comparison. So the only reason left to buy the ford is either price (which isn't all that different...), or if you simply think it looks better or want a slower car. I honestly don't think they're in the same class though, but that's just my opinion.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I like the 99 SVT Contour so much better than a Lexus. It's faster, and still has all the leather and shyt, for about 23 large. And it looks real good, while the regular Contours don't. So please, don't go flappin your lips without supporting anything you're saying, including opinions.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

I fail to see how a 195hp Contour which runs what... 15's is faster than a 300hp Lexus capable of a 14 second quarter. Granted I'd take the T-Bird over the Lex (which Toyota obviously styled after a Mercedes-Benz) but the previous Contour wasn't all that great.

10. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

you're saying that ford sucks. ever heard of SVT Cobra R? or perhaps the GT40 and GT90? i might not be a fan of domestics but i do think that they deserve respect for the nice cars they make/made

11. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

OK. Look at what the 2 cars have to offer. Is the Lexus worth the 30 or more grand? The T-Bird is actually a very good car. Since it's based on the Lincoln LS. It has a V-8 that is easy to tweak, it looks very decent. Good quality build, actually dare I say? Reliable? Motor Trend liked it enough to appraise it with Car of the Year. And I would follow their advice sooner than I'd follow a high schooler who thinks that front wheel drive is the way to go, or that a riced Civic is cooler than a BMW M5. Me personally, I like the looks of the Lexus as is. I would just get different wheels and tires on it. I'd probably add some other mod's to it. So my pick is the Lexus although I would not fault someone for choosing the T-Bird.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

This is a nice car but so is the T-Bird<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

Quote from 1966pontiac
    There is no comparison between the two. The lexus (even in stock form) is a wonderfully designed car, not even including aesthetics (which I'll leave out because that's a matter of opinion), while the ford is...a ford. I could leave it at that, but some of you think ford is great, so I'll go on. As far as luxury goes, no ford can compete with a top of the line lexus (except maybe jaguar, but I seriously doubt a souped up contour is better than a lexus), the ford is much less reliable (although perhaps cheaper to repair), and as far as performance goes, there's no comparison. So the only reason left to buy the ford is either price (which isn't all that different...), or if you simply think it looks better or want a slower car. I honestly don't think they're in the same class though, but that's just my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

have any reason to say fords arent reliable? and the new T bird is very comfortable. both cars arent meant to go fast, theyre for 50 year old guys who want a car to cruise around in. the T bird is a very good car for what it is supposed to do, and i will definately take it. i cant stand the looks of the lexus, and the T bird is much cheaper.

you are so right.....fords are probably less reliable than lexus, but we really arent sure. and i think land rover-volvo-and aston martin just MIGHT have a chance of competing in luxury with a lexus. also who says ford has no performance. the v8 tbird is meant for cruising not for racing, but as far as the 03 cobra, 02 cobra R, 03 Mach1, bullit, Gt40, Focus SVT, contour SVT, Lightning SVT, and the countless other ford and ford owned companies' sports cars go FORD HAS PERFOMANCE, and they are making an SVT tbird for 03 or 04 so ford is prepared to make this car fast and powerful. both of these cars do what they were designed to do- i tend to think the tbird does it better, because its cheaper, makes people think of the good days of ford, and will sell extremely well (with the 50 year old guys as well and younger people)

i cant stand the looks of the lexus either<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

I find both cars nice. But comparing a stock T-Bird to a souped up lexus. In that case, I would definitely take the Lexus. I would probably stll take a stock SC 430 over a T- bird, but it would be a little bit harder to choose. The thing is though, I'd be driving around in a Lexus convertible, thats more to say than a ford. And not much can compete with the SC 430's kick ass stereo.

15. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

I dont think they look anything alike.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: 2002 T-bird VS. SC430

they look nothing alike, the T-Bird is retro, while the SC430 is sleek and modern..but if I had to choose..hmmmmmm...I would have to go with the T-Bird on this one, I think...just because it's the Thunderbird...although the question is, which car would give you more sex appeal? lol