2002 ZL1

Discussion in '2000 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Concept' started by SSfearSS, Aug 9, 2002.

1. it rocks!<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 2002 ZL1

Yep, it does. Within 5hp of the new Z06. I bet the Z06 can just barely beat it.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: 2002 ZL1

Very tight race!<!-- Signature -->

4. #4 Import Killa, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: 2002 ZL1

This was written prior to when they were finished with the car...don't know if anything has changed or not, but here it is:

http://camaroz28.com/articles/2002zl1/ <!-- Signature -->

5. Re: 2002 ZL1

Yeah, that site is cool.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: 2002 ZL1

Hey do you visit the message boards on there? (CamaroZ28.com)?<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: 2002 ZL1

sometines. I like fbody.net. I usually don't surf too much. <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: 2002 ZL1

There's a 2002 ZL1? Tell me about it, and include links, please. Have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

9. #9 SSfearSS, Aug 9, 2002
  10. #10 I AM GOD, Aug 9, 2002

Screw that link, why not get it from the source...this is a much better link from GMMG and they also have other bad-ass Fbodies like the Berger Camaro and Black Bird check it out!!!.....

http://www.gmmginc.net/html/zl1_camaro.html <!-- Signature -->

11. Re: 2002 ZL1

yeah, ok. I didn't have that. I gave him what I had.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: 2002 ZL1

Thanks for the links, but is that an actual production model of this car we see here? Have my dreams come true?<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: 2002 ZL1

It's not what you call a "Production" car. Chevy doesn't make it. GMMG gets the cars just like SLP and highly modifies them. There is no SS that has an LS-6 in it, GM wouldn't allow a camaro to be faster than their precious vette, that's how they've always been. But this car is kinda what Saleen is to Mustangs. That's why on the link there are special dealers to go to in order to purchase this car.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: 2002 ZL1

Rustangs, that makes no sense. So, GMMG tunes the ZL1. Ok. The LS6 is a GM engine. Like the Z06. Has the LS6 engine, but normal C5's have the LS1. So, what you are saying, indirectly, is when a car goes to an outside tuner, it then becomes a non-company car. My SS, and yours, are tuned by SLP (as you already know). Does this mean that it isn't production? Does it mean it isn't really a Camaro? A lot of people say Roush, Saleen etc. are not really mustangs because they are tuned by someone else. So, with this, SS Camaros are not really Chevy because Street Legal Performance tunes these cars after they leave the plant as Z28's. Doesn't sound right, does it?

The simple fact is this. The 2002 ZL1, tuned by GMMG, is available for sale. Sure, you can't find them at dealerships, but a phonecall is all it takes. GM made I believe 60 ZL1's in anticipation, with the ability to make more if necessary. Call it what you like, but the cars were premade, so this constitutes one thing: Production vehicles. Now, if you look at these "tuner" cars, they all leave with either a bowtie or a ford emblem. To me this means that all tuner cars, whether it be SLP or Roush, are still Chevy's or Fords.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: 2002 ZL1

I see what your saying SSFearSS really! But here's my point, GMMG isn't part of GM, SLP isn't part of GM. They are individually seperate companies. These companies are integrated to serve the needs of companies like GM, but SLP started out making aftermarket parts for GM's parts department. But they weren't only available to GM, they were available to other companies as well.
    If you think they are totally involved with GM your wrong, this year they are going to take part in developing 12000 special trucks off the Ford Ranger.
    This is why I say the SS the GMMG ZL-1 are not production cars. They didn't build the cars they modified it! Like I mentioned earlier, GM would never take credit for building a car faster than the Corvette, (yes I mean the Z06) they never had, never will.
    As mentioned before there is no way to associate these cars as stock. Both companies SLP and GMMG are totally independent of GM and mod the GM cars with aftermarket specialty parts.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: 2002 ZL1

SS Camaros off a Chevy dealership lot aren't GM production all the way? I never would have guessed. It doesn't make much sense to me. Why wouldn't GM just do the tuning themselves? I bet it would be cheaper. Guess I'm off do do a little research on it. Have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: 2002 ZL1

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from maranelloboy</i>
    <b>SS Camaros off a Chevy dealership lot aren't GM production all the way? I never would have guessed. It doesn't make much sense to me. Why wouldn't GM just do the tuning themselves? I bet it would be cheaper. Guess I'm off do do a little research on it. Have a nice day.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Good question. I'm not sure. I'd like to see GM get more involved in tuning.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: 2002 ZL1

Yip.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: 2002 ZL1

the problem is that gm has many projects like the c6 to commercialize, the cien and of course the sales of the evoq. so it is impossible for a such firm to reach all its goals.

20. #20 I AM GOD, Aug 9, 2002

The ZL-1 for sale is actually built by GMMG and other car dealerships. Kinda like the Yenko Camaro's remember those? Or the Berger Camaro, Basically the ZL-1 is a Z06 in a SS body. I think it goes for over 40g's I'm not sure but you can check out the link if you haven't already.

http://www.gmmginc.net/html/zl1_camaro.html <!-- Signature -->

21. Re: 2002 ZL1

i have seen this link, but unfortunately the car hasn't got the 572ci engine with 770hp!

22. Re: 2002 ZL1

OK, you may be right that it's something like the saleen to the rustang, BUT the corvette is still faster and GMMG is still somewhat part of GM, cause just think of the name GM and GM(MG), i dont know much bout that but i am happy that mustang hasn't won the CHEVY FORD WAR. one more thing. can you list a site that shows the pic of the 2004 or 2005 camaro? plz.