Discussion in '1972 Holden LJ Torana GTR XU1' started by GT40 2, Aug 9, 2002.

1. The 2003 pontiac GTO is a Holden with a GM V8.

Is holden owned by GM or is it just copartnered.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 2003.

looks like a jag.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: 2003.

Holden is owned by GM. It's just like Chevy or Cadillac, but only sold in Australia until the Pontiac GTO goes into production, shortly followed by the Commodore-based Impala SS. (You'll notice that the Holden Commodore looks a bit like the late Cadillac Catera.)

250GTO -- what looks like a Jag?<!-- Signature -->

4. Real reason XU-2 was never released

The real reason that the XU-2 (the LJ Torana body with a 308 ci V8 in place of the six) was never developed is that some very paranoid, moronic members of the press starting writing some very denegrating material about how fast these cars were capable of going (along with the Charger and Falcon), and the possibility of them falling into the wrong (inexperienced) hands. A shame really - it also put an end to the Phase IV Falcon and a possible 340 powered Charger. These would have really put Australia on the performance map.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Real reason XU-2 was never released

Ah, but Australia is certainly on the performance map THESE days... Check out the performance figures for their HSV's, and even some of the stock Holden models. Those cars really haul ass. Even with the new ones they're exporting to the US under other names, America will never see the supercharged Corvette V8's being put into any of the import Holdens 'cause of the bloody EPA. They take emissions a bit to seriously in the 'States. So Australia ought to be damn proud of producing some of the most powerful sport sedans in the world.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Real reason XU-2 was never released

The XU2 was a different body shape!!
    More a sports coupe then the XU1!!!

7. #7 Tickford5400, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Real reason XU-2 was never released

Yep the "Supercar scare". If anyone wants to read about how the Phase IV GTHO was affected by the supercar scare go to http://www.fouronthefloor.com.au/garage/phase4.html

I wasnt around those times but it's a real shame to think what affect the Australian auto industry might have done on a global scale.

I guess in a sense the same think happened to USA. Theirs was more emissions orientated, but the cars that came in the late 70s to late 80s werent the most exciting.

With cars like Dodge Vipers, Ford bringing back the GT40 - most likely supercharged, while the Corvette is set to return with a larger displacement engine when C6 arrives, America better watch out.

Australia too, as history is known to repeat, all we need is one dick in the media write another story about how Ford and Holden are producing cars that are capable of unnecessary speeds. With cars like GTHO set to return with over 300kw, and Holden probably going to use the stroked LS6 some where dowen the track, this could prove to be just the recipe to to spark another media frenzy.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Real reason XU-2 was never released

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Gimme Fuel</i>
    <b>Ah, but Australia is certainly on the performance map THESE days... Check out the performance figures for their HSV's, and even some of the stock Holden models. Those cars really haul ass. Even with the new ones they're exporting to the US under other names, America will never see the supercharged Corvette V8's being put into any of the import Holdens 'cause of the bloody EPA. They take emissions a bit to seriously in the 'States. So Australia ought to be damn proud of producing some of the most powerful sport sedans in the world.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

so wat........FORD GT........will be the fastest 4 door sedan in the world........holden cant even get that right.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Real reason XU-2 was never released

In its day, the E49 R/T Charger was the most powerful six cylinder production car in the world, and was the fastest accelerating six cylinder.
    And something I am dying to know - what are the 0 - 60 and standing 400m times for the best vehicle that HSV produces? I want to know if they have knocked off the E49's title of fastest accelerating Aussie production car (which I expect they have).<!-- Signature -->

10. 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

stop hating this is a very "small" engine for its time it produces very little hp for its time and look at the 1.4 mile times just amazing.
    <!-- Signature -->

11. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from shefx</i>
    <b>stop hating this is a very "small" engine for its time it produces very little hp for its time and look at the 1.4 mile times just amazing.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->How did you find out about this?<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

how much does this car weigh? that's pretty amazing if you ask me.

13. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from shefx</i>
    <b>stop hating this is a very "small" engine for its time it produces very little hp for its time and look at the 1.4 mile times just amazing.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

1.25 mile..

and I agree, it is a nice car.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MCLARENF1LM</i>
    <b>I HAVN'T BEEN IN OR POSTED IN THIS SITE FOR LIKE 2 YEARS, I COULD HAVE HAD 20 000 POSTS BY NOW...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

who cares?<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

yeh i think we all know not to judge a man on how many posts he has put up, it could mean that he has put up 20 000 wrong posts. anyways yeah your riet, and i Don't care how many posts you have. But it still was a good car for it's time whether or not there were better, it is still a supercar, as are most of the cars on this site, some i'd definately have to disagree. it is better than the Z cars of it's time for the .25 mile. And yes it's a good car, yes there were better, and i don't carem this car is a good one and one that australia can be proud of. Good car for it's time, and can you even afford a mcLaren?

16. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

I don't know what the truth is about this car but it is impressive nevertheless.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

Yep this car never even made it into the 15's! It's speed and potential was never experienced till on the race track, where it could exploit its light body and great handling to full potential.

Australia's fastest car was The R/T (Roand & Track) E49 Charger. It could do 14.1 1/4, and has been capable of getting into the 13's STOCK on modern Rubber. It's accleration times were closely followed by the Phase 3 GTHO.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

Torana's were never made for straight line performance, unlike the GTHO Falcons, which were true muscle cars. Torana's were superb on tracks however, and the Bathurst wins attest to this. 13.5 seconds or 15 seconds over the quater..it doesnt matter, the XU-1 is a true classic, and a great aussie car.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

Unless it could resist exploding in a shower of rust flakes (which it can't) I would never own one. <!-- Signature -->

20. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MrMetalHead82</i>
    <b>Unless it could resist exploding in a shower of rust flakes (which it can't) I would never own one. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

What does that mean? All cars with steel components get rust..

If you're just bashing american cars, you must not realize that Saturns don't rust, neither do Corvettes.

Asian cars can rust too you know.. if that didn't Fucking occur to you!

Sorry to state the obvious fact that oxidizes iron is known as rust, but I gathered that you don't understand the concept. I'll also state the obvious and call you a moron, alright?<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Aussie HSV</i>
    <b>Torana's were never made for straight line performance...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That must mean they weren't made for anything...

22. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

Ferrari Nut, in saying that I meant that Holden knew an inline 6 could never keep up with a 351 V8, so they aimed to make the Torana as nimble as possible.

You're an idiot..<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Pretty good for a non-musclecar 1972.<!-- Signature -->

24. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

its a lame car in its class and 4 its time too...<!-- Signature -->

25. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

Unless you have something to back that up, i suggest you keep your unwanted and immature comments to yourself.<!-- Signature -->