Discussion in '1972 Holden LJ Torana GTR XU1' started by GT40 2, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

most of you bashing this great icon car, are comparing it to v8 muscle cars. your dickheads, plain and simple.

anyway, hopefully soon they will put the SLR_5000 on here. now theres some great classing Holden muscle.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

The inline 6 doesnt make it any nimbler its the fact that the car is quite small the inline 6 does help (lighter front end). But they did put V8's in it and they were faster and better.

3. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

IF these numbers are true, and I have come to believe that they aren't ( the numbers on this site get messed up a lot sometimes ), then this car is a marvel of engineering. ANY car with less than 200 horsepower and running sub 14 second quarters is a miracle machine to me. But unfortunately, I think these numbers are wrong<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

anyone know the weight of this car? that could be what makes this 1/4 mile time so impressive. power to weight ratio means a lot. however, it does seem kinda iffy, considering i doan know how light this car could've been, it was made in the 70's. was it production model or a one off?<!-- Signature -->

5. #30 mikezx6, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

I just thought I would put this little website in which may fill in afew gaps

http://www.smasa.com.au/documents/fact_files/holden/torana_lc.html

the car here is currently being driven and is in fine form. Yes I am a Ford fan and I am also a patriot to Australia, but I believe that the stat's on this car in this site are incorrect. As far as this car being quick, it certainly was, but 0-100 doesn't guage quickness. A simple trick around the Nurburgring, or Bathurst does, something like that. Anyway.. above gives some details including gear ratios etc... no... it's not my site

6. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

ok, then I'll compare it to a Datsun 1600 SSS. Datsun beat it everywhere, quarter mile, track, rally. for 3.3 litres, this tank isn't anything to be proud of.... I don't think I've ever seen one not completely eaten by rust...

7. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

its quite a lot to be proud of

15 second quarters
    nimble handling
    155 kw

and its not a gook pack datsun

be proud that a small country has such a great auto culture

8. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

I wouldnt mind driving this. it might even beat my sisters Tracer in a 1/4mile race<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MCLARENF1LM</i>
    <b>SORRY TO SPOIL YOUR FUN PEOPLE, BUT THE LJ TORANA XU-1 GTR WAS ONLY CAPABLE OF 15.2 FOR THE QUARTER, IT HAD 200HP (149KW). THESE CARS WEREN'T TOO ADVANCED FOR THEIR TIME, SO LEAVE IT BE. BY THE WAY, THE PHASE 3 GTHO FALCON WAS LIKE 14.5 SEC FOR THE QUARTER AND THE VH CHARGER R/T E49 LIKE 14.4 SECS.

JUST A FEW USEFUL STATS TO CHUCK AROUND, I HAVN'T BEEN IN OR POSTED IN THIS SITE FOR LIKE 2 YEARS, I COULD HAVE HAD 20 000 POSTS BY NOW...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

would you f*ck up about your fords, go back to your crappy forum... coes it must be if you keep coming over here<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: 190HP AND A 13.5 SECOND 1/4 MILE!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari_Nut</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Aussie HSV</i>
    <b>Torana's were never made for straight line performance...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That must mean they weren't made for anything...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    If you were a true fan of Ferraris, then you would know that there is more to a car than its performance in a straight line, fool. The idea of going to a smaller car (than the original Monaro) was to lessen greatly the tyre wear and fuel consumption of the annual enduro at Bathurst, and thus defeat the Falcons by simply staying out on the track and having less downtime.<!-- Signature -->

11. No Subject

I'm amazed they got 190hp out of the buick 33H engine in these things. My first car I owned was a '84 VK commodorre, which had the 33H essientially unchanged untill it was dropped in '85 for a nissan engine. Wish I could have got my hands on a good torana!
    Good workhorse engines, although they'd fly apart at high revs. As I found out when I boosted mine to about 200hp with a mitsubishi turbocharger, it flew to pieces at just 5500rpm on a dyno.
    A while now... I now drive a 9000rpm nissan that never misses a beat.

12. No Subject

I'm amazed they got 190hp out of the buick 33H engine in these things. My first car I owned was a '84 VK commodorre, which had the 33H essientially unchanged untill it was dropped in '85 for a nissan engine. Wish I could have got my hands on a good torana!
    Good workhorse engines, although they'd fly apart at high revs. As I found out when I boosted mine to about 200hp with a mitsubishi turbocharger, it flew to pieces at just 5500rpm on a dyno.
    A while now... I now drive a 9000rpm nissan that never misses a beat.

13. Re: Real reason XU-2 was never released

"so wat........FORD GT........will be the fastest 4 door sedan in the world........holden cant even get that right."

hold on to ur pants, its gonna b harder than that

VY vs BA let the fight begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Re: Real reason XU-2 was never released

Stuff that, just wait for VZ and Holden will be back to no 1 again.

15. Re: Real reason XU-2 was never released

HSV's best would be the VT GTS series 2 which did 0-100 in 5.5 seconds I believe and 0-400m in 13.49.

16. Re: 2003.

The ute could also be sold on america soon. Holdens are already sold to New Zealand and the middle east and the long wheel base models are going to china soon

17. #42 Leprichaun, Jan 7, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: 2003.

2003 pontiac gto IS a 2002 holden Monaro rebadged, holden and pontiac are both using chevys gen3 v8 (holden has and will always use chevys engines)
    and yes general motors owns a pissload of motor companys.
    different motor companys in accordance with different countries

cant be stuffed listing them all so here ya go
    www.gm.com

18. Re: 2003.

r u serious, holdens will be goin to china???

19. This cars pretty good

meow.

20. This cars pretty good

meow.

21. This cars pretty good

meow.

22. Re: 2003.

The 2003 Pontiac Gto is a 2002 Hsv Gto. They are the same car and the only difference is the Pontiac has a different grill and a different body kit.

23. Re: 2003.

dunno