2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. I think this will beat the firebird in performance since it has more hp. and weighs just about the same.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>I think this will beat the firebird in performance since it has more hp. and weighs just about the same.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

its the same thing as the holden mondal or whatever (which is sold in australia) its called just with pontiac cladding.....

3. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

MotorTrend magazine estimates that the new GTO's 0-60 time is around 6.6 seconds. If MotorTrend is correct, the Trans-Am will have a huge acceleration edge. <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

i think you read the article wrong cause you put and LS1 in anything and itll run better than 6.6 either that or motor trend doesnt have a clue what they are talking about. grab a pic of a firebird from this angle and compare the 2. almost the same except this has more HP and alittle more torque. it has the same trans and suspension and will probaly weigh about the same so im predicting a 0-60 of high 4's low 5's and DEFINETLY NOT 6.6

5. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

No, I'm pretty positive I read the article right. Pick up the July 2002 edition if you don't believe me.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

yeah, i read the article also. it is'nt going to be as quick as the ss or firebird.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stuttgart</i>
    <b>MotorTrend magazine estimates that the new GTO's 0-60 time is around 6.6 seconds. If MotorTrend is correct, the Trans-Am will have a huge acceleration edge. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yeah, but motor trend has a concept gto, it looks nothing like the one on this website(this is the official pic.). The xlr is 3900lbs. and 350hp. and does the 0-60 run in 5.5 so even if the gto was as heavy as that(which it won't be) it would still be faster than 6.6 in the 0-60 run.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

are you talking about the cadillac xlr? that car is very different than this and has a completely different engine. how can you compare the times? just because hp is close? the engines could have very different torque curves which will make for different times.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from tyne89</i>
    <b>i think you read the article wrong cause you put and LS1 in anything and itll run better than 6.6 either that or motor trend doesnt have a clue what they are talking about. grab a pic of a firebird from this angle and compare the 2. almost the same except this has more HP and alittle more torque. it has the same trans and suspension and will probaly weigh about the same so im predicting a 0-60 of high 4's low 5's and DEFINETLY NOT 6.6 </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->what if the gear ratios differ greatly... everybody always thinks hp and weight, but what about the tranny and rear end?!?!?!

10. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

hey, there are so many variables here that i think to speculate on how fast this is going to be is a waste of thought.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

They should replace the grand prix with this in nascar.

12. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

what?<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b>I think this will beat the firebird in performance since it has more hp. and weighs just about the same.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Are you that retarded? I mean come on really, think about what you just said for a minute...

14. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

lol.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from American HP</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

Are you that retarded? I mean come on really, think about what you just said for a minute...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Why don't you think about what you said. The gto has more hp. torque and it's lighter so what's your point. I think it will and the article that says it will only do 6.6 in the 0-60 run that's stupid, because the regular heavier monaro with less hp. and torque could do better than that, unless this is geared for topspeed, but it should still do better. <!-- Signature -->

16. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

you cant compare this to the firebird u tool.why dont u compare a bus and a aeroplane aswell.

17. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

yeah you fool, comparing a car with the same engine, same suspension, and same weight is the STUPIDEST thing ive EVER heard of, my lord, that would be like comparing a ws6 trans am to a mustang cobra, or something totaly off the wall like that... gees

18. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

Just want you all to know that this is the kinda car we make over here in the best country in the world - australia. thats right, its an australian car with a different nose, and a few very minor body changes. the interior is exactly the same and the engine is the same, just tweaked up a bit. look on the internet for the new holden monaro and you'll see that its exactly the same car. american muscle my arse, this is australian muscle.

19. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

As a salesperson for a Pontiac dealership, I was very excited when I heard of this car, until I found out it wasn't coming to Canada...yet.
    When the last Trans Am rolled off the assembly line, it was a sad day indeed, and I would love to see a replacement come soon. I see this vehicle more as a replacement/reinvention of the Grand Prix GTP Coupe. It's a different type of car than the Firebird was.

20. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

The engine is the same hmm? You use American engines in your Australian made cars? The LS1 has been used in Camaros/Firebirds/Vettes for a while now.

21. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

you simply can't compare the two cars. they're totally different.

22. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

Holden use lsi engines in there cars

23. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

What are all you guys smoking, cuz hook me up, i want some too. The GTO and Holden Manaro are ponycars. If u look at the Manaro, u will see that it has independent rear suspension, a huge advantage. This is a 2 door, 2+2 seater sportscar, with an LS1, it sounds an awful lot like an F Body car to me. Independent suspension is the main difference. This has to be Pontiac's replacement for the Firebird, and the Manaro CV8 runs a 5.5 sec 0-60, and the GTO has 35 more hp, why are we arguing about a bogus number thrown out by a magazine BEFORE THE CAR WAS EVER MADE?!?! Motor Trend didnt build the car, and besides, i dont think General Motors wants to let out all the secrets on their newest Mustang destroyer. No one has seen the car, so numbers cant be thrown out. You also have to believe that the 2005-2006 Camaro (rumored to go into production) will be based on a similar chassis and layout. This car should beat the Firebird, essentially it is the sucessor, simply because it can be considered the evolution of GM's 2+2 seater ponycar. Not to mention the added power, ind. rear suspension, and lighter weight. This is the new Mustang destroyer.

24. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

o yea, by the way Mr Australia, holden's LS1's are manufactured in BOWLING GREEN, KENTUCKY. All corvette's and LS1/LS6s are built there. Every corvette-derived part is made there. So, mr holden, we build the part that makes your car go. Where the hell did u get the idea that Holden developed the CORVETTE LS1?

25. Re: 2004 GTO vs. firebird in performance.

As far as performance goes I think the trans am will be quicker. As i see it this gto will be just the beginning of a new performance icon. Just like when the C5 vette first came out it was good, but got better, same thing here. Even in base form this car will be quick, but i'd eventually expect gm to offer a slp package on this car to up the performance. The ram air model isn't out yet either, which i expect pontiac will have out sometime in the near future. Maybe thats why this car was rumored to have 385hp instead of the 340 its rated at now. Even if this car will be quicker than the t/a in the future, i still think the style of the gto isn't as good ss or ws6.