2005 911 GT3

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by gtmash, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Three months after the launch of the 911 Carrera ("997" series) Porsche presents the first racing version of the sportscar. The 2005 911 GT3 Cup is tailor-made for customer motorsport with near-standard vehicles. Porsche delivers the car, which will exclusively run in the Porsche Michelin Supercup 2005 next year, ready-to-race to the customers from March 2005.

With its predecessor - the Cup Carrera based on the "996" series - being a high performance and competitive sportscar which not only competes in the makes cups but has won various Gran Turismo championships, the new model marks a clear step towards a thoroughbred racing car: the GT3 Cup 2005 features a sequential gearbox with a power shift system. The suspension underwent modifications for higher precision and further improved driving dynamics. For the first time Porsche instals its revolutionary Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) to a racing car.

Bodywork

High downforce, low weight and the best possible cooling had priority when the classical body silhouette of the 911 was modified for racing.

The adjustable rear wing of the new GT3 Cup gives a clear indication of the purpose of this vehicle. The carbon fibre wing is 2.34 inches wider and 1.37 inches higher than the wing of the 2004 model. It increases downforce at the rear significantly. An intake on the carbon fiber rear lid directs air through a filter directly to the throttle.

The aerodynamically optimized front bumper and front spoiler with two adjustable spoilers in front of the wheel arches increase downforce by up to 40 percent compared to 2004.

The cockpit and dashboard feature a new layout with a central information display which informs the driver about all important functions (revs, temperatures, brake balance, mappings, etc). The light and ignition switches as well as the data recording control are positioned on the centre console with the starter button left of the steering wheel. The fuse-box can now be found in the place of the glove-box instead in the legroom area of the driver's side.

Suspension & Brakes

With a McPherson type front axle and the Porsche multilink rear unit the suspension of the GT3 Cup closely corresponds to the standard suspension.

The 2005 911 GT3 Cup is the first works-prepared racing sportscar to feature the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB), a unique development by the German sportscar manufacturer. These cross-drilled, inner-vented composite ceramic brake discs set standards when it comes to response, fading stability, weight and life expectancy. The Cup Carrera features 380 millimetre discs with aluminium six-piston calipers in the front and 350 millimetre discs with aluminium four-piston calipers rear.

As a novelty in Porsche makes cup motorsport the driver can adjust the brake balance from the cockpit. At the same time ABS is no longer available, as the Cup Carreras not only run in the makes cups but are regularly raced in GT championships, where ABS is generally not allowed.

High-Revving Engine

The engine is the well-known 3.6-litre six-cylinder boxer that has been the base for successful motorsport with near-standard vehicles for the last six years. It is an extremely free-revving unit that develops 400 bhp at 7300 revolutions per minute in its 2005-spec: an increase of 10 bhp compared to last year. Maximum torque has grown to 295 lb-ft at 6500 revs per minute. The maximum engine speed is 8200 rpm. An air-collector located under the rear wing uses pressure built up there to supply extra intake air to the engine at high speeds, so that it reaches its maximum power output even more easily.

Sequential Six-Speed Gearbox

The sequential six-speed dog-type 'box of the latest 911 GT3 Cup features a power shift system with ignition cut for very quick upshifting at full throttle. Very close ratios ensure that the engine is used in its optimum rev range with the transmission being considerably shorter than in the road-going 911 GT3 RS. Top speed is reached at approx. 169 mph. Thanks to tailor-made gears, a single mass flywheel and the use of a 5.5 inch triple-disc sintered metal clutch, the rotating masses of the transmission are reduced. An oil-water-heat exchanger provides the reliable cooling of the system.

2. Ugly as hell.

3. Nice ricer wing that works.

4. Dont be retarded.

5. Porsche began making wings that big waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before riceing started.

6. Looks good.

7. Why do I have a feeling the 996 series will always be the best looking series ever....997 is just going backwards.

8. that wing makes my stomach feel sick.

9. I prefer the sleeker design of the 997 to the 996. It reminds me of the 356 a bit.

10. After seeing the 997 in the metal there is no comparison. The 997 is absolutely gorgeous.

And that wing is 100% functional, and should be there. There isn't a single car that it races against that isn't going to have Aero like than, be it Corvette or Ferrari.

11. YOU make me feel sick.

12. does functional have to be ugly?

13. i would like to see a gallardo with murcielago roadster wheels

14. its the freaking race car, the wing is there for a reason, and the wing is no different from the last GT3 Cup car.....

pointless complaint....

15. Fanboy. Shush

16. Exactly. Complaining about that wing is like calling the ground effects on a F1 car "rice". All function.

17. It's a $^*)*& race car.

18. Thats really unfortunate

19. Very nice, looks so much like a 993!

20. .....and thats a good thing?!

21. Looks tough, I like.

22. The 996 was meaner looking

23. I know it's a race car but that doesn't mean I have to like the way it looks though does it. I wasn't only talking about the wing. The front air scoops don't look to good either.

24. because you have common sense............. and Porsche's marketing department doesnt