2006 albums discussion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MooSquad, Apr 25, 2006.

1. So which albums are worth getting that got released in 2006? I listened to a handful now, and I can say just a few things:

t.A.t.U. - dangerous and moving
    Don't get it, it's worse and less original than their previous album, for as far that wasn't original already. The music doesn't seem to get better than MIDI-tunes, and it's simply not uptempo enough. Only track that's half-decent is the title track.

Raised Fist - sound of the republic
    Only good if you don't have any Raised Fist albums yet, because if you know them already, this is just #$%#ing repetitive. By no means as good as their album "Dedication" either. Just hardcore punk, slick production, but nothing new.

The Streets - the hardest way to make an easy living
    Just get it.

2. Stadium Arcadium
    10000 Days

3. Only thing I have that got released this year is an Of Montreal 7". I am waiting for new Radiohead, I will probably pre-purchase a vinyl copy at Tower or something.

4. Also, Metallica's back in the studio, and Rick Rubin's gonna be the producer..

5. Is Stadium Arcadium worth getting? I have all regular stuff RHCP made, but haven't listened to the album yet, except for the single that gets some airplay currently.

6. Arctic Monkey - Whatever People Say I am, That's what I'm not

Good album, in the land of indie rock it is a breath of fresh air. The Lyrics are pretty standard afairs but the music is pretty complex and very well done. It's also very cohesive from start to finish.

7. It'll be out May 9. I'm expecting good things.

8. Found someone on DC++ that seems to have it, I'll just hope it's a quick connection =)

edit: gah, only 6 tracks available through that one

9. UnderOath
    Define The Great Line

10. Ray Davies - Other People's Lives

11. Great albums of 2006 thus far (some haven't been released yet OMG):

Aceyalone and RJD2 - Magnificient City
    Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
    Built to Spill - You in Reverse
    Calexico - Garden Ruins
    Destroyer - Rubies
    The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics
    Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
    Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
    Grandaddy - Just Like the Fambly Cat
    Islands - Return to the Sea
    Liars - Drum's Not Dead
    Neko Case - Fox Brings the Flood
    POS - Audtition
    Six Organs of Admittance - The Sun Awakens
    The Streets - The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living
    Sway - This is my Demo
    TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

Amongst others... no analysis.

12. I have that Ghostface Killah album. Sweet. I thought the new Strokes album had some good cuts on it, too.

13. On an Island - David Gilmour

14. In Flames-Come Clarity
    Trivium-Ascendancy
    Unearth-III:In the Eyes of Fire

15. Listen to that single, then listen to toms petty last dance with maryjane. dont they sound so much alike especially the beginings of both songs

16. VRAIN - Emerald

It isn't released yet (June 6th), but it will probably be one of the best albums ever.

17. It's not out yet, but the Black Keys have a new EP of Junior Kimbrough songs coming out sometime soon.

18. Pearl Jam (Self Titled). I have heard a few leaked songs of it, and trust me folks, it is gonna be brilliant.

Audioslave - Revelations. I certainly hope that in this album the band returns to the badass, hard-hitting Tim Commerford bass sounds that we saw in their first album. Chris Cornell, Brad Wilk and Tom Morello will be consistently awesome as ever.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium. Should be a good album, dont get me wrong, but i do have a few concerns about it.
    1. Is it going to be another 'By The Way' (i.e. promising but disappointing?)
    2. With the 20+ songs on the album, will it become a bit too stretched out?
    3. Is this album actually going to have any meaning behind it? If Dani California is any indication to go by, it doesnt look like SA is going to have much of a purpose. And i heard the band's producer has written most of the song's lyrics for them on this album, so that was a big bummer.

Live - Songs From Black Mountain. One of my mates has already got the album, he says it is a very good album - and from what i saw of the first single off the album it does look good. But he concedes, it's no 'Throwing Copper'. But hey, Throwing Copper was one of the best albums ever, so thats a pretty high bar set anyway...

Tool - 10,000 Days. You guys who i've heard from all seem to think it is awesome. I'm very tempted to get it now - even though im not a big Tool fan. My bro is a big tool fan though, so i'll ask off him what he thinks i guess...

all in all, should be a rawesome musical year in 2006.

19. I'm loving 10,000 days.

20. monsta has the right idea, havnt seen a lot this year though, in flames cd was AWSOME, unearth 3 isnt out yet but ive heard demos and that shit is EPIC, acendancy was last year but still a great cd. The new underoath is a great cd, and the new hope dies last cd will most likly be awsome as well.