2016 Volvo S90 sedan revealed in scale-model form

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by SupraMan, Aug 30, 2015.

1. #1 SupraMan, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    2016 Volvo S90 sedan revealed in scale-model form

http://www.caradvice.com.au/377439/2016-volvo-s90-sedan-revealed-in-scale-model-form/

The all-new 2016 Volvo S90 has surfaced this week, thanks to eager beavers in the Chinese manufacturing world.

Scale-model manufacturing, that is; not the full-size ‘real deal’ that’s expected to make its global debut in both sedan and wagon form over the coming months.

As expected, the big new Volvo family car takes its styling cues from the Coupe and Estate concepts revealed in 2013 and 2014 respectively, with the final result of that preview appearing on the all-new XC90 last year.

In sedan form, the new S90 will feature the same upright grille and slender headlight look worn by its large SUV stablemate, reaching back into a long bonnet and coupe-like roofline.

At the back, there’s a short rear deck to emphasise the coupe-inspired design, sitting high above a new parenthesised tail-lamp design.

The cabin of the new model (literally a model) is still to be revealed, although buyers can undoubtedly look to the new XC90 for a preview of what we’ll see in the S90.

The new S90’s wagon companion, expected to be called V90, has also been spied testing in recent weeks, although heavy camouflage panels had obscured the finer details.

Expect both variants to be powered by the same ‘Drive-E’ four-cylinder petrol, diesel and hybrid powertrains that have debuted over the past year.

As with the new XC90 and its battle against BMW’s X5 and the Mercedes-Benz GLE, Volvo is likely to aim the new S90 and V90 twins at the likes of BMW’s 5 Series and the Mercedes E-Class.

Reports suggest the large new ‘90’ models will make their global premiere later this year. Watch for news on an Australian launch to follow.

Attached Files:

2. What the hell. The Chinese are really shitting the bed here. I mean what is this? A car for ants? The car is going to need to be at least 3 times bigger that that.

3. looks like a clone of the audi a7

4. Nice overall, questionable ass.

5. you are a dumbass and your name sounds like scrotum lol

6. the rear 3/4 looks like an audi a7

7. Deeeerrrp........

8. #8 SupraMan, Nov 22, 2015
    Volvo S90 sedan previewed ahead of Detroit debut

http://www.caradvice.com.au/398427/volvo-s90-sedan-previewed-ahead-of-detroit-debut/

Fresh teaser images for the new 2016 Volvo S90 sedan have been handed down tonight, offering the first official look at the Swedish carmaker’s premium new large sedan.

Joining the recently launched new-generation XC90 SUV, the S90 will debut at January’s Detroit auto show, just one month show of the current S80 sedan’s 10th year on the global stage.

These new preview images reveal more than a few of the new S90’s key styling details, including a long coupe-like roofline – now a standard feature of just about every sedan on the market – and a typically minimal Scandinavian look to the door- and quarter-panels.

A hint of the sedan’s clearly XC90-related headlights can be seen up front, while a second teaser image offers a blurred but recognisable look at the S90’s hooked tail lamps.

Of course, a clearer look at those lights, and the rest of the S90’s design, has been available for weeks now, thanks to photos of both the sedan and its V90 wagon sibling that have surfaced online.

Volvo has revealed little else about the new sedan, although it has previously confirmed that both the S90 and V90 will ride on the same Scalable Platform Architecture that underpins the big new XC90.

Both will also draw power from the same ‘Drive-E’ four-cylinder petrol, diesel and hybrid powertrains that have debuted over the past year.

Volvo is likely to aim the new S90 and V90 twins at the likes of BMW’s 5 Series and the Mercedes E-Class, just as it has fired the XC90 at BMW’s X5 and the Mercedes-Benz GLE.

Reports suggest the large new ‘90’ models will make their global premiere later this year. Watch for news on an Australian launch to follow.

Attached Files:

9. lol

10. That's pretty good looking. Volvo needs this. The new XC90 is the first Volvo that doesn't feel like it's straight from 2004. This would go along nicely.

11. #11 V8stangman, Dec 2, 2015
    The all-new 2017 Volvo S90 has been revealed.

Volvo is looking to make a statement in the premium sedan segment with its new S90, which takes many of its design cues from the new XC90 that was revealed last year. The new car rides on the Swedish automaker’s new scalable architecture, which makes it slightly longer and wider than its predecessor.

Under the hood, Volvo has announced that the S90 will feature the brand’s T8 twin engine plug-in hybrid system along with its non-hybird T6 counterpart, though specific numbers weren’t announced. Both versions uses a turbocharged and supercharged four-cylinder engine, with the T6 making around 316 hp.

As for the hybrid T8, the powertrain makes 400 horsepower and 472 lb-ft of torque in the XC90 and can power the SUV for 25 miles of all-electric driving, so expect the lighter S90 to have even more range.

Volvo’s latest semi-autonomous driving technolgy, known as Pilot Assist, will allow the S90 to keep itself in the center of lane at speeds up to 130 km/h (80 mph). Volvo says that Pilot Assist is “another step towards full autonomous drive – a key innovation area for Volvo.”

For safety, a new large animal detection radar has been added to the car which will help the driver avoid these creatures on the road, during daytime or night.

“Our idea was to bring something entirely new to this rather conservative segment and deliver a visual expression that exudes leadership and confidence on the exterior. On the inside we have taken the S90 to the next level, delivering a high-end luxury experience that promises comfort and control,” said Thomas Ingenlath, Senior Vice President Design at Volvo Car Group.

More details on the new 2017 Volvo S90 will be revealed when the car makes its public debut at the 2015 Detroit Motor Show.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/12/2017-volvo-s90-loaded-with-tech-and-style.html

Attached Files:

12. More pics

Attached Files:

13. For some reason the interior looks.... American? Is it just me, or does it look like it should be in a Lincoln or something?

14. Always found Volvo interiors to look kinda American. I think I like it, they brought back the "boxy" looks in the rear in a good way

15. Rear plate but no front plate. Weeeird

16. the rear looks messed up

17. Reminds me of the ford 500 for some reason. I don't think I like it

18. I like the sparseness of the center stack. There's hardly any controls anywhere.

19. Seriously this looks like an atrocity.

Design-wise the Tata niggers are doing a much better job with JLR in my opinion.

20. looks like doge charger had a sex with audi

21. dash is very ugly, doesn't feel like high end at all

22. From what I read about the new XC90, which is very similar to this, the quality of the materials and the fit and finish are really good.
    I just noticed the Bowers & Wilkins HiFi.

As usual, official press photos of the car actually hide what it looks like in real life. too much photoshop bullshit.

23. I'm not a Volvo kind of guy but the B&W audio system really is one of the best ever in a car. It's way better than the Bang & Olufsen system in the previous Q7 for instance.