365 GTB/4 Daytona vs Chevy "Vette" Stingray

Discussion in '1970 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona' started by tiger005, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: 365 GTB/4 Daytona vs Chevy

This car is absolutely awful....I mean just look at it! Maybe if Enzo Ferrari took his sunglasses off just once so that he could clearly see just how bad his cars were, he might engineer them porperly. Then perhaps people could respect his cars for what they could be rather than just with blind reverence. But alas no, Ferraris were, are and always will be dreadful........

2. Re: 365 GTB/4 Daytona vs Chevy

I'll take the Ferrari unless the Corvette Stingray in question has an L88 under the hood. (for those who don't know the L88 is a stock production 427 engine that was available as a option on the vette stingray in 1967 strait from your local chevy dealership. It has a whopping 600 hp. The 600 hp of the L88 dwarfs even the legendary hemi 426's possible output of close to 500 hp.)

3. Dan Gurney and Brock Yates drove a Daytona from Manhattan to Redondo Beach, CA in 35 hours and 50 minutes, including stops for gas and highway patrol. At the end of the run, the car needed a new set of rear tires and an oil change. Despite higher costs for maintenance (rarity, 6-dueces to be balanced), it's the epitome of grand touring.

4. What I really hate is all those vette junkies who always try comparing the vettes with Ferrari.

5. I could rant for hours on how stupid this question is, but instead I'll shorten it to like 20 minutes. To start out, the Corvette Stingray, in one word always refers to the C3 3rd Generation Corvette, which was made from 1968-1982, a long time for a car to go without a facelift. The 350 wasn't available until 1969, and the ZL1 (427) was available only that year also. By 1982 the corvette was only using a 200hp L83. Although I really admire this car, and hate my neighbor for owning one, It is virtually incomparable to the 365 GTB/4 Daytona. They have different engines, the Ferrari's being rather close to twice the output of the base Stingray, note that this might be unreliable because GM switched to SAE net hp during the time of the C3. The Stingray would stand little chance against a Daytona on a track, or even the drag strip. Yes, the C3 would stand no chance. The 1965 Sting Ray with 425hp did the 1/4 mile in 14.1 seconds. It had more power than the C3 (besides the L88, I'm not messing with that cause Chevy didn't even want to sell it) , the Daytona times in at 13.4 seconds. And the C3 would indefinitely be destroyed on any race track. The Daytona is also far less common, especially in America. In the situation that the person who created this topic was referring to the C2 Sting Ray, then they are an idiot by typing it as one word, not to mention that the C2 would be left even further behind the Daytona. Now I have nothing against Americans, I am one myslef. I just can't stand our ignorance, especially when it comes to cars, as we really overestimate our over-advertised shit that we refer to as a car. I'm not saying that the Corvette is shit, but most other American cars are that. I drive a Honda Civic Del Sol, It might not be nearly as powerful as a Corvette, but I won't be the one getting a speeding ticket when the idiots drving Corvettes want to drag at a red light. Plus, my car already had over 100,000 miles on it when I got it, and it's at about 150,000 and still running fine, just needs an oil change soon. OK i'm done dissing America now. Long live Ferrari, the original Italian Supercar.

6. oviusly daytona