4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

Discussion in '1999 Mercedes-Benz Vision SLR' started by Jmac, Aug 12, 2002.

1. This thing has over 150 more horsepower than a 'Vette and it weighs 100 pounds less, yet it turns out 4.2 second 0-60 times against the 'Vette's 4 seconds. This seems like a typo to me or the Automatic transmission ruined the car's performance.

2. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

It's still a little early to discuss performace numbers. This is just an estimation number. But 4.2 is not a bad number. In a comparative test made by Auto Motor und Sport Magazine, the Aston Martin Vanquish made it in 5.6, the Ferrari 550 Maranello made in 4.7, the Mercedes SL55 AMG in 4.6, The Porsche 911 GT2 in 4.0 and the Lamborghini Murciélago in 3.7 . Of course everybody is expecting more than that, but it seems that Mercedes is now focusing more confort than performance (that's why this thing will come with an auto).

3. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

Just chill man, i dont think it is that slow. That number just doesn't seem right. It hass 557 Hp and weighs 3000 lbs. It has to be faster. My guess is around 3.9 for the 0-60 and the e.t. has to be under 12. But this car would be a lot faster if it had a manual tranny. Don't forget, auto trannys rob about 5 - 10% of the cars power and even 5% of its tourque. So if had a manual the actual power may be around 575 - 580 HP. Also the low to mid range torque probably sucks on this car. Those are the only reasons why i can think it is that slow. Either way its still a Mercedes and it still will be a classic no matter what the 0-60 time is!

BENZO'S Fuckin RULE!!!!!

4. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

You spoke nothing but the truth my friend.. BENZO's F***IN RULE

5. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

I'm sure this car has plenty of low and midrange power. That's what supercharged, large displacement V8s have. This is not a twin turbo 3 liter V12 here. and like others said, the gearing has lots to do with it. I doubt this car actually runs though, it's just a concept, which often are just 1:1 models that run 0-2 mph depending on how many people push them.

6. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

..or the little midgets that live under the hood.

7. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

I agree.

4.2 aint slow but in the blurb they say its meant to compete with the mclaren f1?

8. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

chalk it up to the automatic tranny

9. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

i agree it has something to do with the auto tranny, but MBs estimates might be a little conservative so they dont disappoint when the SLR comes out.

10. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

Yeah you guys are all right, but even with an auto tranny this car should be in 3's, i mean the SL 500 i believe is 5.0 and has like 200 less HP... this car has to be in the 3's

11. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

Since this is a concept car, my guess is that not much time was spent tuning the gear ratios so that its maximum performance hasn't been met.

12. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

consider it has very high torque for its horsepower, and hopefully thats not a narrow powerband it being supercharged, so car should be able to lay down a sub 4 second 0-60 in the right conditions.
    The vette's 3.9sec 0-60 is very difficult to achieve, the best a UK magazine could do was 4.3. Its just how the different markets choose to promote their car... american style is to exagerate, european and japanese is to seriously understate

13. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

Exactly, Mercedes are known to be very conservative when putting out performance numbers. And this tranny will shift faster than any human with a manual ever could. From what I've heard, gear selections will be made(by the driver) via paddles behind the steering wheel and will engage very, very quickly. And I doubt it will be a 5 speed, a 6 speed is more likely and perhaps even a 7 speed! Watch....PEACE OUT!

14. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

Yes, they are very conservative, for example, they said that the SLK 32 AMG made 0-60 in 5.2 secs, but every magazine has done it in 4.5 or 4.7. So i hope this SLR can do at least a 4.0 sec.
    I dont really think that there will be a 7 speed gearshift, it might be a 6. And yes, the MBŽs are known to have one of the best auto trans. even for sport situations.
    The SLR also comes with a lot of amenities and luxury, so dont come up comparing it with a vette. Its another way of feeling a sportscar.

15. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

merc is never gonna touch bimmer or ferrari with that goofy automatic transmission, I'm guessing that 0-60 would be about .5 seconds faster if it had SMG or ferrari's f1 style shifter, which it probably should have for 'creating a car to compete with the mclaren f1' just something to think about

It's still an awesome car, and I would definitely drive one if I had the chance, its just a shame to see a car underperform.

16. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

Given Mercedes's conservative estimates, it'll probably do sub 4 0-60. Cuz Motortrend already got 4.30-60 in a 469bhp SL55. This is almost 800pounds lighter and almost 100bhp more.

17. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

look at the weight..... mercedez-benz cars are built like tanks

18. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

You people just gotta start realizing that at such speeds, a good auto will rape your manual transmission as you won't be able to shift that fast......

Oh and the car is very light, just 3000lbs, check the figures.

Only the old MB's were build like tanks, the enw ones are build like crap, in order to shave off weight (ML, S class)...

19. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

Hey, its Mercedes-Benz, did u really expect sub 4 sec times? Everyone knows for Benz, performance is a 2nd priority. If you look at their other "high" performance cars (AMG models, SL series) you should see a trend of high HP, relativly low performance. Not really a bad thing, since ride/comfort/style is their primary focus. Plus its a damn concept car anyways, you kno the 4.2 time isnt a proven statistic. So arguing about it in the first place is stupid.

20. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

Nitwits, the SLR have a new generation of Merc turbocharged engines like the Maybach.

21. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

500 some horse can only run 198 MPH? this is piece of Crap
    even a civic can run faster then this. this car is such a rip off

22. Re: 4.2 second 0-60 time with that much power ?

gee thats funny everything I've seen on this car said it was a Supercharged V8 namely the new one that's in the SL55. Another thing, the maybach just has a standard V12 with turbos on it, there are no new generation turbo engines from merc, and there is only one engine for the maybach so I don't know why you are referancing it as more than one engine available. Prove your statement if you are going to call people nitwits.