6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

Discussion in '2002 BMW M3 CSL Concept' started by vwgolf2, Aug 9, 2002.

1. I think its impressive for a stock car producing 350 HP

2. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

audi rs4 has 380 hp out of a 2.7l v6... but its biturbo...
    porsche 911 turbo makes 420 hp outta a flat 6 but its turbo too...

3. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vwgolf2</i>
    <b>I think its impressive for a stock car producing 350 HP </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

not uncommon<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

actually, the 911 turbo is 415hp
    this seems like a good opportunity to ask a question the has been burning in my mind for some weeks now
    why do different magazines have different horsepower ratings?
    ie, automobile says the porsche 911 turbo has 414, but C&D and R&T both say 415
    the for the mercedes slk32 amg, some mags say 349 (r&t) and and some say 342 but i forget what mag
    could this be the conflict of SAE vs. DIN ratings or is it some thing else?
    <!-- Signature -->

5. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

I really hate it when people compare the number of cylinders to the engine power, the horsepower to the displacement, or worse yet, the number of cylinders to top speed. There are only 3 things that matter.

HP to weight
    HP to price
    HP to top speed<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

Regarding Carguy8007's question about why do magazines rate different power on cars...
    This happens mostly with european cars, that is because when cars are rated in Europe they use a power unit called PferdeStarke (PS) (Horse Power in german)... the equivalency is:

1 HP = 1.0139 PS
    1 PS = 0.98632 HP

Some magazines commit the mistake of thinking that 1 HP is equal to 1 PS and some other magazines don't so there's where the discrepancy comes.

By the way if you do the math, for the single case of the Porsche 911 Turbo you'll see that 415 HP is 420.76 PS...<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

not uncommon. But beginning to be impressive, especially in a market of mostly in the 200 hp for 6s.
    If i redo my '86 Jaguar 4.2 L6 engine, with higher quality (meaning newer or performance parts) I've seen it go over 500 hp stock.
    Then you also got the super 3.5L in the XJ220, which to my knowledge there isn't a more powerful nor faster 6, please correct me if i'm wrong.

<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

well bmw's m cars have in my opinon the most technically advance engines. most 6 cylinder engines have around 200hp. also if a 6 does produce more than 300hp it most lilely has a turbo or a supercharger on it. something that i have not seen on a modern bmw m car in a long time. amg adds a supercharger to its c class and slk cars, pontiac adds superchargers. plus the 6 in this car is smaller and more powerful than many out there

9. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

TVR makes the best inline6's...390 hp from 4.0 i6 in the Tuscan S. No turbo or blower here.. 1-100kmh in 3.8

10. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

well bmw are masters of the inline-6, and well-built, high-revving (this one peaks at 7900 rpm, i think) engines often put out more than 100 hp/l (not the best of measures of efficiency, i know)...though for sheer power (and size) you can hardly beat tvr's speed six engine...

11. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

Hp/L gives a general picture of a car's thermodynamic efficency. BMW's M cars are all high revving all manual/sequential shift and promote the ultimate driving experience.

its not hard to generate 100+Hp/L if your using forced induction. you would be an idiot not to.

it is indeed harder to generate 100hp?L if your not. more focused engine management, stronger internals, and overall quality build must be enhanced (cylinder head, head gaskets, pistons, block design/spacing, cam profiles,).

12. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

yet some of these inline 6s are actually built in UK plants
    so go figure

13. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

The TVR Tamora engine does the same naturally aspirated too.
    And 393.24Nm of torque.

And TVRs are reliable , The Tuscan R has finished second in a 1000km race behind the 911 GT3 RS that won Le Mans 2001 in its category.

The cerbera Speed 6 has finished its 1st ever 24Hs race at Spa.

So other car makers can do it , but it's still rare.

14. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

and your point would be what?

15. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

thank u 24heuresdumans
    yes tvrs are excellent cars and vastly underappreciated by the automotive press

16. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

well some BMW fans thought it was only built in Germany.
    actually the inline 6 engines are made in the UK

17. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

thats fair.

18. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

BMW's use long stroke's for smooth power bands, but they probably bored the M3's engine for more HP.

19. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

They make the Z3's the M roadster/coupe )and the Z4), over here in the US

oh, and we'll be getting it 1/2yr before everyone else.

20. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

point being is?

21. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

yeah look at the dahlback golf 5cylinders pridcuing 950 hp now thats impressive

22. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

I would guess his point is that the US (according to him) will get the Z4 6 months before everyone else. Or was that not obvious enough for you?

23. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

i think the z4 looks a bit queer. the backlights are kinda weird. i dunno the only way i can still tell its a bimmer is of the kidney grilled, but its not relaly that apparent. the design isn't 7 series derived which is good i suppose for model diffrentiation, but i thought they would at least derive styling from that sexy 6 series design.

24. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

My current E36 M3 has 310 hp stock - I still want to up the power in order to reach that magic 100hp/l mark - I wonder why they didn't just bring out the E36 with 100hp/l in the first place?

25. Re: 6 Cylinder Producing 350HP

that's casue BMW like to make cheaper entry models.
    and they have to now, since Jaguar is cheaper.
    Audi is also making major strides.
    so they sacrificing a little bit.
    but if you want more hp, you need to pay more.
    that's all part of the game