80's-90's everyday cars you don't really see anymore

Discussion in 'Car Pictures' started by MooSquad, May 14, 2016.

1. I need a Renault connaisseur.

I saw this 1985 Renault 5 Alpine Turbo, and for me, something doesn't add up.
    If I remember, the last year of production for the Renault 5 Alpine Turbo was 1984, also
    that car got a body style of a 1985 Renault R5 Turbo. And it entered on the market in 1985.
    So, what gives? Or I'm totally clueless on Renault 5.

1985 Renault 5 Alpine Turbo -1.JPG 1985 Renault 5 Alpine Turbo -2.JPG 1985 Renault 5 Alpine Turbo -3.JPG

2. Not that I remember these things by heart, but according to Wikipedia that's not an Alpine. Those didn't have the giant side intakes, which appeared on the 1985 Renault 5 Turbo.
    Where does it say it's an Alpine on the car you saw?

3. 1985 Renault 5 Alpine Turbo -2.JPG

4. It's not all that inappropriate, the Turbo 2 had a lot of parts in common with the Alpine (Gordini in the UK). The round mirrors on the sides were seen on the racing versions quite often, rather than the square ones that were put on the road going ones. Renault also offered that extra bodywork on the front and rear to add splitters/spoilers. The tag Alpine is a bit misleading, because clearly the R5 Alpine (Turbo) is a much prettier fwd hot hatch, rather than a rally monster the Turbo 1 and 2 were.

5. So, what you're saying is that's not a kit added to a Renault 5 Alpine.

6. That's what i'm thinking.. it'd be strange, as R5 Alpines are much rarer than Turbos nowadays

7. That's a rare Renault, right?

MooSquad likes this.
  8. They'd both be fairly rare, but Turbos (1&2) were usually quite well conserved (they were pricy), while Alpines/Gordinis usually ended up on the scrapheap like most hot fwd hatches of its time. Of the Alpine Turbo many more were made (about 60K) and about 3½k Turbos, but they were simply more disposable. The Turbo (rwd mid engined one) was more than twice as expensive.

V8stangman likes this.
  9. Awesome! I'm happy to know that it's a real Alpine Renault that I saw. Thanks Moo. :)

10. No it's a real Turbo I think, not a real Alpine :D

ETB4U likes this.
  11. Just in what part of the car was the engine located? That'd solve everything :p

ETB4U and IdoL like this.
  12. Goddammit, I should have check that. I really don't know, in fact, I checked through the opening on the hood, or bonnet like some chaps say. I thought I saw some hoses / tubes, that might look like a turbo, but I'm really not sure.
    I know that the R5 Turbo that the engine is in the rear. If I see that car again, you better believe that I'll check on it real carefully.

MooSquad likes this.
  13. I posted one on this thread, post #229, that's a real Renault 5 Alpine, right?

14. Yes, adore that one <3

V8stangman likes this.
  15. How about a 1985 GMC S15 Jimmy? :)

1985 GMC S15 Jimmy -2.JPG 1985 GMC S15 Jimmy -1.JPG

16. The 405 is already pretty uncommon
    This Mi16 even moreso
    [​IMG]

numbers, CitroenSM and Baklava like this.
  17. 1991 Holden Astra
    [​IMG]

Honda CRX
    [​IMG]

Holden Camira
    [​IMG]

Ford Telstar
    [​IMG]

Never see these cars anymore ....

18. I always wanted to find one of those, and put in the internals from its Australian counterpart, the VK Commodore -
    [​IMG]

MooSquad likes this.
  19. Damn, always thought it had more in common with the 80's Opel Senator we had here at the time
    [​IMG]
    more pics here

20. Oh yeah, thats right. The front half of the VK and VL (84-88) was from the Rekord, while the rear was from the Senator.
    I cant remember why they did that.
    Although the front is near identical the the older VC Commodore (80-82)
    [​IMG]

MooSquad likes this.
  21. No idea either, but I like the result of this mixed child. To make it even more confusing (to us at least), Opel did have a car in the past sold as Commodore :D which also was a large saloon and predecessing the Senator (until 1982)
    [​IMG]

22. So at least the VC and 78-82 Commodore (C) were in sync then haha

Aych Es Vee likes this.
  23. pretty sure the first holden commodore (VB - 78-80) was pretty much a rebadge of the Opel. Except for the V8 it had.
    [​IMG]

MooSquad likes this.
  24. Dayum, yes 100% looking at those