9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

Discussion in '2000 Hennessey Viper Venom 800TT' started by Zi, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Motor Trend is a poor magazine.

Now I'm not saying this car sucks or is slow,(anyone who says a 10-sec car is slow is a dumbass) but read The MT article very closely and you will notice that it says that the Viper acheived a 10.71s 1/4 because without the traction of the Thompson Drag slicks he could only acheive 3400 rpm drops. with them he could do 5000 rpm drops and significantly increase his time.(also look at the picture during the night, does it have treads?)This is the "Clinton" way of saying things yet not saying it at the same time. Also it did not begin to rain until the 0-1 mile test.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

And your point is...what?

The fact that they are road-legal is good enough. <!-- Signature -->

3. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

To stop the damn ignorant people that say this car: "did the quarter mile in 9.9999999(just say 10 damn it) sec with normal tires in the rain" which is not true.

To bad the person who makes them got such a good rap from Motor Trend, because in real life he's an Asshole, screwing over people for everything they have.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

If you also looked at more thing in the article you would also see that if it had regular wheel it would had burned those wheel off in 5 sec.s down to the rims and then what!!!!! so as you can see the car isss so powerful they had to put drag slits o it to with stain it from burning to much rubber!

5. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

Zi, thank you for your input. I agree but I don't. Since the tires are street legal and any normal sport tire can't take the power I go by the better stats. Who wouldn't, but if the numbers were truely miss leading I would go by the lesser numbers. Point is the tires are legal are the numbers aren't fake.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

Burn the tires down to the rims in 5 secs? See the way to get a fast start is to NOT burn out. So if the driver did burn the tires down he would be an idiot because he would just be sitting there spinning the tires. And, Zi, MT in no way decieved anyone! They said in the article, i didnt' have to read it very closely, that the 2.4 0-60 time and 9.99 1/4 mile time was done on street legal slicks. The also said quite clearly that the times with out slicks weren't this good and gave them too. And i really dont' know why you dont' accept the time with the slicks...because they arent' stock tires? Guess what, the whole car is upgraded so what does it hurt to upgrade the tires. You can get the slicks from Hennessey with the car anyway.

7. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

I'm so sick of hearing this, THEY WERE STREET LEGAL. If it's street legal then it counts. Sure street legal slicks are an unfair advantage, well so is just about everything else on this car. GET OVER IT<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

The car did 0-60 in 2.43 secs and 1/4 mile in 9.99@137.7 on street legal slicks. I just want this site to get its facts right...my closing argument by the defense attorney.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

ha..ha..ha, I just like to win! (I'll stop now)<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

If you also read the article dumbass he did it in the rain oh you probably cant read though.

11. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

this car is just simply amazing...<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

Those tyres are they called>>> Slicks legal tyres??? the tyres this viper was tested on?

Are they called> slICKS LEGAL?<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

Even without the slicks this car out-performs Porche, Ferrari and McLaren. Don't call American cars "sucky" as you put it. They are the best cars money can buy AND are about a third the price of Ferrari and a fifth of the price of McLarens.

14. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

correction, an 8th of the price of a McLaren. Also wrong pic.

15. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

I am writing to clarify a few debates, and to express an opinion that is surely common in all REAL drag racers. The first thing concerns the tires. I have seen many so called street slicks in my days of racing, and the MT "Cheater Slicks" are the closest looking to street tires I have seen. Most street slicks are actually real slicks with two little wavy line down the center just to make them barely legal. The MT's are actually a real tire, with treads, and wear marks, and are not usually over sized, and they DO operate around the full recommended air pressure. For all who doesn't understand what that means, normally slicks have 12 lbs of air pressure, 17 or 18 at most. This causes the tires to be loose, making more contact to the ground, making enormous traction. These MT tires operate at 30 or 32 lbs of air pressure like normal tires. If you read the entire article in Motor Trend, you will see that after the drag testing, they took the car, with those tires on it, and hit the streets that night.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

this car is the best 160K sports car!<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

Tompson slicks are legal therefore a true 0-60 in 2.43 secs.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

Would I be right in assuming the M/T DOT Slicks are actually radials and very close in design to the Nitto NT555 Drag Radials?

19. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

would nitro screw this car?<!-- Signature -->

20. #20 hennesseyms, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  21. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

just think of how fast this car would be with a hardened engine runin 25 psi boost, a pair o T88s, and a 300 shot in it, now THAT car would rule anything on the planet!<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: 9.99s on slicks, 10.71 without. MT has decieved you.

of course! what wouldn't, that would not be legal though so forget it...<!-- Signature -->