A damn v6?

Discussion in '1993 Jaguar XJ220' started by 70SuperBee, Aug 9, 2002.

1. The prototype kicks the living hell out of this. Why in hell would they replace a german v12 w/ a v6? This car is still nice as hell.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: A damn v6?

Well, the reason that they replaced the v12 with a v6
    is because sadly, the v12 was too damn heavy. I mean, even
    with the v6, the car is still 3025 pounds! still, the twelve
    -cylinder would have been nice...

3. Re: A damn v6?

agree with tyou, but if it was to powerful it wouldn't be street legal, plus if i owned one i wouldn't complain.

4. Re: A damn v6?

The original v12 spit out the same amount of power w/out the aid of turbo. The last thing I need is the engine melting from the immense heat. A german v12 is hell of alot more dependable. Why is this car so damn heavy?<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: A damn v6?

and the car was so freakin long and wide they had to cut it down. the mid mounted 12 made the car like a foot longer! the six was compact, so it was a nice fit

6. Re: A damn v6?

Some of the best hndeling cars in the world have mid mounted v12's. diablos and a mclarens are shorter and smaller than this car and have v12's. xj220 is just too damn big. (I stil like it though)<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: A damn v6?

well, again, if the car is over 3000 lb's and 2 metres wide
    (about 6.5 feet) its got great stability, and an exellent center
    of gravity. If it can go 210mph+, and its got those dimensions,
    its a great car. <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: A damn v6?

I`v read that it was going to be a v12 but then ford took over and thay did not give jaguar money to use a v12

9. Re: A damn v6?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 99madchj</i>
    <b>I`v read that it was going to be a v12 but then ford took over and thay did not give jaguar money to use a v12 </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Is that so... when did Ford take over?<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: A damn v6?

Why does everyone think that big massive engines are God's gift to man? And this engine would not melt away. Maybe a V12 would since the McLaren has to have gold plating surrounding the engine compartment because of the high heat generated by the engine. This Jag doesn't need gold to make it look like a million dollars, just me.
    Jaguar became a subsidary of Ford back in 1989, but to my knowledge Ford was and is very "hands-off" of Jaguar.

11. Re: A damn v6?

if a v-6 can put out 542 hp and top speen of 212.3 then that v-6 is worth every penny. i'll bet it get screaming at that speed.

12. Re: A damn v6?

yeah i know... twr introduced it with a v12 but jaguar didnt aprove to the engine just the car.....

13. Re: A damn v6?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lancergod</i>
    <b>if a v-6 can put out 542 hp and top speen of 212.3 then that v-6 is worth every penny. i'll bet it get screaming at that speed.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I agree

The Dauer 962 has more hp , also with a V6

14. Re: A damn v6?

The V6TT thought has less power is faster acceleration and top speed. The only thing is the Proto had AWD.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: A damn v6?

The Daur is a boxer 6, not a V6.

And the reason this car never saw the intended COSWORTH V12 is because it wasn't reliably meeting power requirments/expectations, couldn't meet upcoming emissions standards and it would have been too costly to re-engineer the engine.

<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: A damn v6?

The Dauer has a Flat-6 allright... not that it really matters though. It's all about displacement and turbo pressure...<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: A damn v6?

6 cylinders are my favorite type of engines, they can have it all. torque, revs, great sound, smooth and lots of Hp

18. Re: A damn v6?

true.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: A damn v6?

This "damn V6" propels the car to 217.4 m.p.h. Don't complain about the type of engine when it can do that AND produce 500-some horsepower. There are V8's, V10's and even some V12's that can't do what the XJ220 can.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: A damn v6?

I have stood next to this car(auburn auction last year) and to me it did not look that big then again i have never stood next to a mclaren<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: A damn v6?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Vipergt662</i>
    <b>I have stood next to this car(auburn auction last year) and to me it did not look that big then again i have never stood next to a mclaren</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->You stood next to it?! Lucky...<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: A damn v6?

The V6 with RWD not AWD V12 is still faster. So I prefer the V6 TT.<!-- Signature -->