a fake 250 gto

Discussion in '1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe' started by Louhnatique, Aug 9, 2002.

1. typical

once again, the american cars r blown off the tracks by the europeans..

hhmmm we gotta do something about it..
    yeah! let's copy their brilliant design and put our own engine in!! we may b a few years late but at least we've got a chance of winning now . . .

dumb american losers
    never made it on their own

hahahahahahahahahaha

<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: a fake 250 gto

i agree. probably.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: a fake 250 gto

The point is that GTO did lose to it didn't it? The GTO loses to the Cobra ragtop on the US soil, with the slower, twistier track where aero of the car plays a much less part. But since Shelby was entering the European championship, due to the nature of the tracks in europe where longer straights and faster turn can be found, the ragtop is losing to the GTOs like 40-50km/h on the straights. So a solution is needed, and Peter Brock made a closed top design, that's similar to nature to the GTO, and slap it on the Cobra's chassis and made it into a Daytona Coupe. Now they have the GTO cornered and very much beatened if it weren't for the cheap Ferrari Style politics....<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: a fake 250 gto

whoever the #$%# started this deserves to be run over by the beauty coupe. this is a classic; anyone to dumb to realize that is an idiot. the gto is a good car also, but the daytona coupe could beat it easy. also it is not a copy so shut ur mouth. id take this car over a gto any day.

5. Re: a fake 250 gto

I'm sorry to say it but Ford did copy an european car. Cobra is an Ac, wich is made in England, in wich they've put in a big V8. After that, for the Daytona they've copied the much more beter design of Ferrari. The engine itself is not so great: 4.7l with 385bhp. The 250 GTO had a 3.0l with 300bhp. That says it all.
    An other thing. When Ford decided to produce they're first true super-car, the GT40, they've wanted to buy Ferrari, so... again That says it all

6. Re: a fake 250 gto

copied: yes. Shelby didnt start as a designer/engineer. Some of the first 260 cobras are actually stingray corvettes.

value: not as much as some of the GTO's (these cars go for 5 million + USD). they only made 6 of these

better: obviously

This thing went 220 MPH at bonneville in 1965 (I think, mabey it was 64) using the 289 CID ford.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: a fake 250 gto

Actually Ford built the GT40 because Ferrari wouldn't sell. They were trying to buy Ferrari for thier racing team. After repeated attempts, Ford decided if Ferrari wouldn't sell, they would just beat them. The next two years the GT40 Gulf (with the "Gulf Oil" sing on it) won Le Mans... it is one of only two cars to have ever won more than once. sorry... that's not what this forum is about, but I had to comment on it.

8. Re: a fake 250 gto

The looking like GTO was due to the design at that time , nowadays F1 are very similar in design except the new Arrows

9. Re: a fake 250 gto

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    LLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMERICAN CARS RULE!! NO ONE CAN BEAT THEM!!
    YOU NAME A CAR, I'LL NAME ONE BETTER!!<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: a fake 250 gto

I've seen one at Daytona on display-right next to a GT40 MKIV. Believe me, this is no piece of shit. The cobra coupes were unstoppable in the mid sixties; after a little while, even the Ferrari GTO's couldn't keep up with them.

11. Re: a fake 250 gto

so can anything american made beat the 962?

12. Re: a fake 250 gto

no it is not a gto it is better.

13. Re: a fake 250 gto

Ferrari refused to race this car at Lemans because of how much better it is. That is he only time in history that Enzo Ferrari backed down from a race because he knew that his car would nto eb able to keep up.

14. Re: a fake 250 gto

who ever started this forum must not know much about cars because the datona coupe destroyed every car in its class and took the manufacturs title

15. Re: a fake 250 gto

LISTEN, ASSHOLE! I SO DISAGREE WITH YOU! THIS CAR SLAYED ANY FERRARI OR MASERATI ON THE EUROPEAN TRACKS, ASSHOLE! DON'T TALK SHIT UNLESS YOU WANT IT THROWN AT YOU, *****! FIRST OF ALL, LOOK AT THIS CAR'S KILLER SPEED! WHILE THOSE EUROCARS YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT HAD A HARD TIME TRYING TO RUN 150'S, THIS CAR WAS TO BUSY SMOKING THE OTHER ONES! LOOK AT ALL THE EUROPEAN CARS THAT WERE PITTED AGAINST THE COBRA! THOSE LOSERS LOST BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T GO OVER 170MPH, WHILE THE COBRA WAS TOO BUSY RUNNING 170MPH ALREADY! AND DON'T GIVE ME NONE OF THAT "AMERICAN CARS CAN ONLY WIN IN STRAIGHT LINES!" BULLSHIT! COBRAS ARE NOT EVEN HEAVY, AND THUS, THEY TURNED WELL! BESIDES, ALL THOSE WHO THINK DRAG RACING IS STUPID ARE PUSSIES! I GUESS YOU PUKE AT SIGHT OF STRAIGHT RACEWAYS, HUH *****?

16. Re: a fake 250 gto

BESIDES, ALL THOSE 250 GTO'S CAN'T EVEN TOP 160MPH!

17. Re: a fake 250 gto

I think the Ford powered vehicles campaigned by Shelby beat the Ferraris. At least until Enzo pulled some strings and had some races canceled. If some one would like to counter this I'd be happy to dig up the facts. Maybe this isn't an original idea but it won anyway.

18. Re: a fake 250 gto

Ok, how did Chevy do against Toyota in Baja/SCORE racing? I think Ivan Stewart's Toyota always won that. Doesn't Rod Millen's Toyota still hold the record ascent at Pikes Peak? Where are the big three on that. Before you start rattling off who won this race or that, just remember that you said no one can beat our cars when, in fact, they can. Shelby did beat Ferrari though, no doubt about that.

19. Re: a fake 250 gto

165 is the reported and confirmed top speed of the Series II Ferrari GTO.

20. Re: a fake 250 gto

Drag racing is for pussies. If you get off on drag racing: you're a pussy. No real talent is required and the costs of campaigning a private car for a year is NOTHING compared to the costs accumulated in Professional sports racing. AND the "American cars can only win in a straight line" talk is true as well. Have a nice day.

21. Re: a fake 250 gto

Why don't you drag race, you little #$%#er? See, drag racing requires accurate and precise shifting. One wrong move, and then you're dead. It takes balls to drag race, which you have none.
    Oh yeah, you think you know all about cars? Tell me one American car with bad handling. I'll give you 2 days to find that out, and don't guess, you little *****. That's what most European queers do when they find a faster American car. "Oh, but Euros handle better." Prove it. Tell me one American car that handles badly and tell me why it handles badly, you little shit.

22. Re: a fake 250 gto

I guess you have no idea on which American car has bad handling.

Congratulations. You have just made yourself look like an ignorant asshole.

23. Re: a fake 250 gto

This is no fake GTO ! Sure Carrol Shelby and Enzo Ferrari had there own personal diferences and it was this that inspired the design of the Daytona Coupe. The first Cobra were built on AC chassis from UK , but they couldnt handle the stress from the V8s so it was redesigned and was very successful in US & Europeoan racing. All Carrol Shelby wanted was the dream of winning at Le Mans in one of his cars (remember he won as a driver in a Aston Martin in his first appearence)- the pinnicle of race car design. The Cobra's didnt have the top speed so the car was redesigned with the help of an Aircraft firm. The fact it is in a few ways similar to the GTO is not as a copy , but due to slipstream design of those days. It won the first outing at Le Mans and at one stage was 36 min ahead of the 2nd place GTO. Cos of probs with the oil cooled the cars had to slow down but still won. Drivers reconned they got up to 196mph on the Mulsane straight. I think thats pretty bloody good for a bunch of Hot Rodders from South Calafornia slapping together a car in a year and winning against the might of Enzo Ferrari empire.

Oh Im usually a Farari supporter , but am always foremost one for the truth. Enzo got whipped on his own turf this time. Remember he had 10 years of wins at le mans before that.

24. Re: a fake 250 gto

a gto lookalike it may be, but did the GTO beat this at Daytona? I Don't think so...give credit to Shelby for creating such a badass racecar such as this, and giving it the ability to whoop ass like it did...

25. Re: a fake 250 gto

typical..newbie who doesn't know that much about cars yet...dumb american losers never made it on their own? excuse me????? the Corvette is original, and when they got the V8 in 1955 they started cleaning house in SCCA racing,(look at the C5R's now competing in the likes of the 24 Hours of LeMans, the ALMS,(American LeMans Series-competing with the 911's and Vipers) 24 Hours of Daytona-the late, great Dale Earnhardt Sr. along with Dale Jr., and Ron Fellows I believe drove the number 3 'Vette C5R in the 2001 24 hours of Daytona, and whooped ass in his class, although he did not win his class) the GT40 is an original design and that kicked ass at LeMans, the Viper GTR is an original design and that whoops some ass, as well, & the Cadillac Northstar LMP's competing and doing their best in LeMans racing, and the Shelby Cobra was an American original-as far as the engine is concerned- that has its fair share of bragging rights as well..and don't forget the Cheetah! that was all American too, and faster than the Cobra, due to it's lightweight body and big engine...now all we need to do is get the Shelby Series 1 to race, and that would clean house too...All American, ALL original design, or original American Horsepower...