A flat 12?!?

Discussion in '1992 Ferrari 512 TR' started by blahblah, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Wouldn't that be very, very long?

2. Re: A flat 12?!?

not really 6 cylinders on each side

3. Re: A flat 12?!?

same length as a V-12, would be slightly longer than an I-6<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: A flat 12?!?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from tiger005</i>
    <b>same length as a V-12, would be slightly longer than an I-6</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

why would it be longer than an I-6?

5. Re: A flat 12?!?

It wouldn't,lol

6. Re: A flat 12?!?

no not really

7. Re: A flat 12?!?

wats the fiference between a v12 and a flat 12 if its 6 cyclinders on each side?

8. Re: A flat 12?!?

A flat configuration has horizontally opposed cylinders on their, hence the flat designation. Also is known as a boxer engine. Porsche and Subaru use the flat configuration. The V configuration has the cylinders in a V shape and is the most usual engine configuration.

9. Re: A flat 12?!?

Just think about flat 12 as being a V12 with an 180 degree angle.

10. Re: A flat 12?!?

Also, a Flat Engine is also know as a Boxer, or Horizontally Opposed Engine.

11. Re: A flat 12?!?

Ferrari uses a flat-12 configuration because it allows the engine to be lower, which allows the car to be lower, which allows the car to have a better wind-cheating shape. Very smart if you want to design a really fast car.

12. Re: A flat 12?!?

I think from the way he asked the question he thought it was like an inline 12. Now that would be long!

13. Re: A flat 12?!?

Flat V12 = 180degree V12

14. Re: A flat 12?!?

It would be longer since there is an offset in the cylinders. I don't know if this is done to help balance the engine or so two pistons dont share the same rod/bearings/whatever else but that's how every flat engine I've seen looks.

15. Re: A flat 12?!?

It would be longer than an i6 because the cylinders are offset. Whether that's to help with balance, con rods, bearings or whatever that's how it's done.

16. Re: A flat 12?!?

this is an awesome car....buy 1...it looks perfect

17. Re: A flat 12?!?

yea