a merc is an old mans car

Discussion in '2001 BMW M3' started by bimmerzrule, Aug 9, 2002.

1. merc cant #$%# with bimmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Re: a merc is an old mans car

Your statment is not true. If you can read, "Car and Driver" had an article with the M3 and the MERCEDES BENZ CLK55 ///AMG competing together. So they are equal rivals. By the way, the Benzy has 349Hp.

3. Re: a merc is an old mans car

and the benz is $30k more

4. Re: a merc is an old mans car

Not to mention that Mercedes-Benz only got 349 horsepower out of a 5.5 liter V8, while BMW got 333 horspower out of a 3.2 liter inline six.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: a merc is an old mans car

You should check up on buying one because I did, and the M3 may have a 6 cyl. and 333Hp but, it adds GAS GUZZERLER TAX of $1500. The Benz doesn't even add that with an 8cyl. and 16 more Hp.

6. Re: a merc is an old mans car

I'm not referring to the fuel economy...the fact that the M3 gets nearly the same power out of a much smaller engine is the point I'm making. <!-- Signature -->

7. Re: a merc is an old mans car

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from burning rubber v12</i>
    <b>merc cant #$%# with bimmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I love BMW but Mercedes has a lot of exotic sporty cars out there.
    1)Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR (have you seen this monster???)
    2)S600 V12
    2)CLK-GTX blindingly fast<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: a merc is an old mans car

No Matter what "M3 RULES"!

9. Re: a merc is an old mans car

Yo Magnus, if u donŽt know that much about the M3, then why the fu*ck r u talking about, first of all, the M3 doesnŽt have 333 hp, idiot, it has 343 hp, and it has a little bit more than 3,2 liters, it has 3246 cc, to be exact, but whoŽs counting, c ya

10. Re: a merc is an old mans car

in america the m3 has 333hp while european versions have 343hp. your not completely wrong, but dont say that someone doesnt know what their talking about because there are always different versions of cars in different territories and you look stupid when you do so. as for the $1500 gas guzzler tax, ok so the mercedes is only $28,500 more expensive than the m3.

11. Re: a merc is an old mans car

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Carking HP</i>
    <b>Your statment is not true. If you can read, "Car and Driver" had an article with the M3 and the MERCEDES BENZ CLK55 ///AMG competing together. So they are equal rivals. By the way, the Benzy has 349Hp. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Not only is the CLK55 $30,000 more, but it also tuned Mercedes that still has the equal performance of an M3. If Hamann or Schnitzer tune the M3 it will blow away the CLK 55 ///AMG.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: a merc is an old mans car

ahh the M3 is tuned as well. By Motorsport. Both the M division and AMG are in house tuners and my old man's got a CLK55 and trust me it really is a sweet car, the V8 sounds so beefy, something you can't get in a 6.

13. Re: a merc is an old mans car

ummm, no. the motorsports division was started by bmw inhouse and grew from within the company paid in full by bmw. the m brand is nothing more than a sub brand of bmws other line of cars. that would be like saying the taurus SHO was made by tuners for ford. i dont blame you though because bmw has done such a magnificent job of keeping these cars a step ahead of the compition it would seem like motorsport was a tuner, but its not. amg was founded in 1967 by Hans Werner Autrecht and Erhard Melcher (they were the independents who took the initial risk not mercedes). it wasn't until 1998 when mercedes gained majority ownership in amg. mercedes is planning to assume total control over amg in 2007.

motorsport is a division of bmw - while amg is a first party tuner for mercedes

14. Re: a merc is an old mans car

o<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: a merc is an old mans car

Merc SUXS<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: a merc is an old mans car

You suck. So nerr. Any reason why they do or they just do? Driven one? an AMG or a BMW M? Just curious.

17. Re: a merc is an old mans car

u ppl suk if u say mb sux! this car is great its fast sporty....but why do u have 2 say that mbz r not! like lets say the sl55? i don't see alot of old ppl in cars like that! and i don't see ne bmwz with that power and class!if u say an mb sux u must b like 4 and don't know ne thing about cars!

18. Re: a merc is an old mans car

"Not only is the CLK55 $30,000 more, but it also tuned Mercedes that still has the equal performance of an M3. If Hamann or Schnitzer tune the M3 it will blow away the CLK 55 ///AMG."

Sorry, but if you are going to compare a modded M3 against a stock CLK55, then why not compare a modded M3 against a modded CLK55?

I traded in my 2002 M3 on a 2003 CLK55 for just that reason. $15000 will get me 550 RELIABLE horsepower, and the same figure in pound feet of torque. I'm sure that a supercharged M3 can atain close to that kind of power, but that would most definitely be a time bomb.

I think you would be surprised how similar the two cars are stock. Sure the M3 makes 333/343 (338 if measaured by SAE vs. DIN standards), which truly is remarkable, but it only makes what, 254 pound feet of torque versus 376 for the CLK55? Having owned both cars, I can tell you that from a dead stop to 60 mph(+/-), the advantage goes to the M3. However, from the much more common encounter of a 65-80 mph roll-on, the CLK55 will definitely walk the M3. Not by a huge amount, but it will definitely pull away. If one's willing to spend a bit more money with Renntech, over 600 hp is attainable, and you'll NEVER see that kind of power from an M3.

I know that immediattely after one asserts the AMG's power advantage, everyone then switches to the M3's superior handling, which is true. I can tell you that it's not nearly the advantage that you may think. Also, how many M3 owners upgrade their M's with larger wheels and tires, coil-over suspensions and sway bars? Do the same thing to the CLK55, and it will handle extremely well. I still would have to say that the advantage would still be with the M3 due to it's lighter weight (About 300 lbs), double wishbone suspension, and it's "M-lock" electronic differential. Despite that though the differences would be neglible, and to "outhandle" a well set-up modified CLK55 would require absolutely INSANE to attempt on the street. The definitive power advantage would more than make up for the slight handling defficiency.

Another perceived "weak point" of the CLK55 is the automatic transmission. That's not quite the disadvantage one would normally think. The AMG cars have modified shift programs, and full torque converter lock-up in all forward gears. Until the new 7-Gtronic transmission becomes available, I believe that the MercAMG 5-spod is the best auto-tranny available, and when it's in it's performance mode, it's extremely aggresive...

I guess my final point should be that while I can't recall the exact times, the CLK55 was slightly faster than the M3 on the 'Rings northern loop. Obviously there is a big price difference between the two cars, but you have to bear in mind that allot of that cost goes into the very sophisticated options and luxury. It's not all spent on performance. Anyone who has sat in a new CLK55 would most likely agree that the CLK55 has a nicer interior...

Understand that I absolutely LOVE the M3, and I think it's the best car in the world for the money, but some of this "Merc is an old mans car..." and CLK55 cracks need to be corrected...

Best regards,
    Matt

19. Re: a merc is an old mans car

Sorry bro but you're wrong. You can't say that the SLK55 is stock because you have to remember it has AMG tuning which is modded buddy. So comparing a "stock" SLK55 vs a stock M3 gives too much of an advantage to the MB making this not even a fair discussion

20. Re: a merc is an old mans car

Maybe you're wrong. AMG's are as stock as M cars.
    "AMG" is to Mercedes as "M" is to BMW.

21. Re: a merc is an old mans car

I'll have to go with HEMIsuperbird on this one. In terms of "stockness", an AMG and a BMW M are no different. Then again I can't see why it isn't possible to draw comparisons between the SLK55 and the M3. The M3 probably would match it in a straight line and eat it up around a track. Note the word: probably.

22. Re: a merc is an old mans car

yes but what i really want to see is the top cars. the benz's clk against bmw's alpine roadster... prob be about the same but have more impressive numbers on both sides

23. another thread full of fail

I really need to stay out of the indies