A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

Discussion in '1968 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray L88 Coupe' started by 95BossStang, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

It's possible that the author of this thread thought that this car could beat a 68 Ferrari F1, but it's also possible that he mistakenly left out the word "road". It's also possible that he thought that it was too obvious and that he didn't need the word "road". None of it matters, as long as we all agree that this car would make short work of any 68 road Ferrari on an F1 type of track.

2. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

Yes, finally I agree with your comments. You have put your words right. (But a Ferrari road car would still beat it on a real curvy track) Yes the Corvette 1968 L88 would beat the Ferrari road cars otherwise.

3. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

If there were no straightaways at all the Ferrari would probably win.

4. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

awesome!

5. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

awesome!

6. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

awesome

7. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

I bet you think the Elise is better around a tight corner than a CL 65. You would be sooo wrong. But still theres no point comparing the performance of these 2 cars.

8. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

I don’t quite agree with “no straightaways at all” comment.

This may be close to true when comparing the L88 to the Dino, which was designed to compete against Porsche, thus light and nimble.

However it is far from true when you compare the L88 to the 1969 365GTS/4. The 365GTS/4 had a 4.4L v 12 producing 350bhp in this 2,650 lbs car, giving it a 0 – 60 mph time of 5.9 sec. and a top speed of 174mph (4 mph higher then the L88).

And yes the 365GTS/4 is a street car, in fact it is a four seater.

9. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

Aren't those Ferrari's own #s? They were extremely exaggerated in those days, especially the top speed and the weight. Alot of Italian cars were claiming that they could go 180 back then, but they were really around 160. The Daytona supposedly weighed 2600 lbs, but when car magazines weighed it, it was closer to 3500. This car weighs only slightly more than a 12 cylinder Ferrari from the same era, but it has ALOT more power.

10. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

The 365 gtb/4 Daytona came out after the 365 gtb/4 finshed 1-2-3 at the 24-hours of Daytona. That in it self should tell you something about this cars performance.
    A test of the 365 Daytona by Road & Track magazine found that the stock car would jet from zero to 60 miles per hour in just 5.9 seconds and the top speed was reported as 174 to 180 miles per hour.
    Thats 4 to 10 mph faster then the L88 as reported by Road & Track not Ferrari.
    I am not saying the L88 isn't a wonderful car, but to say that a Ferrari 365 gtb/4 couldn't compete with it is just plain wrong.

11. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

anything made by the great blue oval?
    do you really think the mustang 2, the taurus, the focus(should i keep going? yes, yes i should), the crown vic, the probe, and of course the pinto, so anyway do you seriously consider any of these muscle cars?

but back to the topic
    i'm gunna say it would definately give a good race against any ferrari of the day
    the huge power would prolly make up most of what it would lose in the turns

12. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

I believe that you meant to say that the P4 finished 1-2-3 at Daytona. The P4's performance has little to do with the performance of the 365 GTB/4 (Daytona Berlinetta). I acknowledge that it probably handles better than this car, about as much as a new Ferrari out handles a new Z06, but that's minor when you compare it to the huge difference in the power/weight ratios.

13. Re: A worthy compeditor for any 68' Ferrari?

It isnt hard to compare the 2 makes, I would take a 1967 L88 Corvette being that they look the best.

Performane wise the L88 was never tested for top speed and the top speed figures are est. based on gearing. A L88 with highway gears can exceed 200MPH(320KMPH) and still acclerate with a Ferrari even though it has one less gear(Corvette have 4 speeds Ferraris have 5 speeds). Corvette have always been one of the best handling cars of its time periods people do not like to give the Corvette crdeit for that and with 4 wheel discs beng standard in 1965 its also been a great stopping car. And people do not like or except the fact that the C5 Z06 out handles, brakes, and accelerates a Ferrari 360 Modena. And dont forget the spirit of Le Mans Corvette, it exceeded 340KMPH.

14. Re:

I think that a '68 Ferrari would be a good match for the L88. I'm an import buff, so I would have to side with Ferrari on a street track, however, in allout speed, the 'Vette would win.

15. more like "any 68 ferrari a worthy competitor for this?"

16. Wut?

17. Wut?

18. Wut?