actual hp?

Discussion in '2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06' started by Miggy87, Aug 9, 2002.

1. I know that car companies have often under rate a car's horsepower to lower insurance costs. Is the zo6 under rated. I would think so, but I'm not sure.

2. Re: actual hp?

maybe, the camaro z28 is rated at 310 hp but dyno tests show that it makes about 350HP<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: actual hp?

I'm guessing the horsepower is 405, like the emblem on the car says. Chevrolet says the Z06 does 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, so I doubt they're going to lie about the horsepower to lower insurance costs. <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: actual hp?

I agree with that, plus just being a Corvette alone make the insurance go up.

5. Re: actual hp?

ss actually

6. Re: actual hp?

Believe it or not, Corvettes are suprisingly cheap on insurance for what it is. My insurance actually went down after I stepped out of a Mustang and into my Corvette. It has a ton more power and only two seats, and yet the insurance is less.

My agent told me this is for a couple reasons. One, the average age/income of Corvette owners. And two, Corvette owners tend to be very protective of their cars. From getting to know other Vette owners, point two is a valid one.

7. Re: actual hp?

True true. Camaros and Mustangs are actually some of the most expensive cars to insure because people tend to rag them out and wreck them.

8. Re: actual hp?

Common misnomer. Insurance companies don't rely on figures released by the manufacturer to determine a cars performance and rates. They rely on data from the NHTSA which does a number of independent tests to determine a vehicles performance code. They have been doing this since the late sixties........

9. Re: actual hp?

Yeah my dad protects his vette very well.

10. Re: actual hp?

this thing really does have 405 viper-kiling horsepower