Alfa Romeo beats BMW in all touring car races

Discussion in '2001 BMW M3' started by Shebs, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Re: Alfa Romeo beats BMW in all touring car races

Why is it stupid? Can you prove me wrong? I challenge you to. The current championship is still halfway through the season. The leading driver is Gabrielle Tarquini on an Alfa Romeo, and if you want to check their web site you will find that there are 4 BMWs, scoring points for BMW, while there are only three Alfa Romeos, that's why they are leading, but wait till the end of the season, and we will see. It might be that BMW wins, but this doesn't disprove that since 88, Alfa has defeated all BMWs in touring car races.

2. Re: Alfa Romeo beats BMW in all touring car races

In the ETCC the drivers are far more importand. The cars are almost the same except BMW is RWD and Alfa FWD. in the ETCC the Alfa is based on the 156 GT-A right? The BMW on a E46320i, and if u pop the hood u can see a tuned M54engine in line 6. So It's not based on a M3.

3. Re: Alfa Romeo beats BMW in all touring car races

And Alfa's stock cars are not so good. Small hockenheim: Alfa Romeo 156GTA sportwagon 1.21.7min Ford Mondeo ST220 1.21.6min. The slowest BMW was the Z4 2.5 in 1.20min.

4. Re: Alfa Romeo beats BMW in all touring car races

there is no M3 is the ETCC

There is the 320i, You forget to mention that Alfa Romeo won on a technicality in 2003.

5. Re: Alfa Romeo beats BMW in all touring car races

The driver of BMW for this season was Fabrizio Giovanardi, the second after Alfa Romeo's Gabriele Tarquini. Fabrizio was the winner of ETCC in 2002 on an Alfa Romeo 156. So now we can concentrate on the performance of the cars instead of the drivers.
    And are you comparing an estate 156 Sportwagon with a sedan Mondeo and a roadster BMW Z4? I think they are all quite different.

6. Re: Alfa Romeo beats BMW in all touring car races

This is the same as saying: "There is no Alfa 156 GTA in the ETCC, there is a 2.0 TS"
    No, there is a GTA and an M3, both with downsized engines to 2.0. Try to think about this, are BMW not applying all the technology they have (that is the M3 for the 3-series) in every other department than the engine in order to win?
    And by the way the engine Alfa uses is 4 cyl compared to the inline 6 for the BMW. And the Alfa still wins