ALMS: Leguna Seca 4 hours

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by numbers, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Jesus, I was just channel surfing and I found that ALMS was on, which is odd for New Zealand. So no idea how old the race was.

But holy #$%# the finish of the GT2 class, the Corvette tapping the back of the leading Flying Lizard Porsche, then the Porsche moving far left to block, but the Corvette was right there, then clipped the pit wall and spun across the track into the other wall but still crossed the line first.

It was only highlights of the race, saw a few spins and some good passes but holy shit that was some good tight racing to watch.

I need to be more informed for the 2010 ALMS, as in lives feeds and complete race downloads... rabbitl1 I'm looking at you...

man that was awesome

2. Never watched it... youtubes?

3. yea..that was a good race. the porsche drove strait..the pitwall at leguna turns in towards the track. the vette never lifted so he got what he deserved. the P&M vettes drive like bullies so it was good to see it happen to them.

4. Yea, I absolutely agree. I've watched the video a million times or so, and I can't see anything to make me think either driver took a stab at the other, and I looked at a satellite image of the track and it does slightly curve to the right, making the track narrower.

I conclude that it was simply 2 drivers driving as hard as they could and there wasn't enough track for the both of them.

I was actually at Pratt & Miller yesterday and they're all really excited for next year following the way this season ended.

5. #6 rabbitl1, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    As far as following the races from New Zealand, speedtv.com usually streams the qualifying sessions live online, but we've yet to get and streamed races. Perhaps that will change for 2010, but I'm not holding my breath. You might be able to find streams elsewhere (Justin.tv, etc), but not really sure.

There's also radio Le Man in which it's just radio commentary on the race, but the guys doing it are far more enthusiastic and knowledgeable than the people doing the ALMS tv broadcasts. It's actually enjoyable to just listen to it if that's your only option. You can find them at http://radiolemans.com/ and I believe they have older races still on here if you wanted to check them out.

There are full race downloads available on www.racing-underground.com, but it's an invite only torrent site, so if you can find a way to get an account, you'd be able to download all the races after the fact.

But if I have no means to watch the race, listening to Radio Le Mans and follow the living timing & scoring screens is a great way to do it as well.

Hope that gives you some sort of idea of what you're up against, and it's great to get another fan for the series. The ALMS really is one of the most exciting racing series in the world, it just gets kinda pushed to the side in the world where F1 and Nascar rule everything.

Here's a prospective look at what we can expect on the grids in 2010.

LMP
    1 - Patron Highcroft Racing - Brabham/Pagenaud
    6 - Cytosport Porsche RS Spyder - Pickett/Graf
    12 - Autocon Motorsports Lola B06/10 AER/Judd - Lewis/Willman/Burgess
    16 - Dyson Racing Lola B09/86 Mazda - Dyson/Smith
    37 - Intersport Racing Lola B06/10 AER - Field/Field
    48 - Corsa Motorsports Zytek Hybrid - Johansson/Mowlem
    88 - Drayson Racing Lola B09/60 Judd - Drayson/Cocker

LMPC
    XX - Intersport Racing - Pagerey/TBA
    XX - Comprent Motorsports - TBA/TBA
    XX - Genoa Racing - TBA/TBA
    XX - Gunnar Racing - TBA/TBA

GT
    3 - Corvette
    Racing Corvette C6.R - Magnussen/O'Connell/Garcia
    4 - Corvette Racing Corvette C6.R - Beretta/Gavin/Fassler
    17 - Team Falken Racing Porsche 911 GT3 RSR - Sellers/TBA
    40 - Robertson Racing Ford GT MK8 - Robertson/Robertson/Murray
    44 - Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsches GT3 RSR - Nieman/Law
    45 - Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 RSR - Bergmeister/Long
    62 - Risi Competizione - Ferrari 430 GT TBA/TBA
    90 - Rahal Letterman Racing BMW M3 GT2 - Auberlen/Hand
    92 - Rahal Letterman Racing BMW M3 GT2 - Milner/Mueller
    XX - Extreme Speed Racing Ferrari 430 GT - Sharp/van Overbeek
    XX - Extreme Speed Racing Ferrari 430 GT - Brown/Cosmo

GTC
    Not a ton of concrete news on entries yet

Maybes/Rumored
    7 - Peugeot Sport Total - Peugeot 908 HDI *** (Sebring/Petit)
    8 - Peugeot Sport Total - Peugeot 908 HDI *** (Sebring/Petit)
    18 - Vici Racing Porsche - 911 GT3 RSR
    20 - Dyson Racing - Lola B09/86 Mazda
    33 - Rocketsports Racing - Jaguar XKR
    XX - Team Cytosport - Porsche RS Spyder - Dumas/Bernard (If funding allows)
    XX - Oreca Matmut - Peugeot 908 HDI *** (Sebring/Petit)
    XX - Creation Autosportif - Creation CA07 (If funding allows)
    XX - Eco Racing - Radical Nissan (Probably a full season announced, followed by 1 embarrassing race entry)
    XX - Audi Sport Team Joest - Audi R15 TDI (Petit)
    XX - Audi Sport Team Joest - Audi R15 TDI (Petit)
    XX - Black Swan Racing - GT or GTC entries
    XX - Other Intercontinental Cup Entrants???

And you can follow all news and updates in my thread regarding the 2010 season here: http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=1&fID=3&tID=177764

And if you weren't aware, there's also a European Le Mans Series (just called the "Le Mans Series" that basically the same thing in Europe. They run fewer races, although longer distances (at least 1000K or 6ish hours) than most ALMS races, and generally have a larger and more diverse entry list, but the ALMS enjoys MUCH larger crowds, better TV coverage, and more manufacturer involvement.

An Asian Le Mans Series is also on the threshold as there we saw 2 races in China last year which will likely lead to even more in 2010.

We'll likely do another ALMS Challenge here on the site for 2010 if you're interested. Maybe we can incorporate all the ACO races into this season, ALMS, LMS, AsLMS, and the 24 Hours!

6. Cheers a million mike

EDIT: Also why in the hell are the corvettes lights like a trillion times brighter than any other cars on track?

7. Not sure, I'd guess it's just something regarding the Corvettes lights being aimed higher than most of the other cars on track and they happened to be aimed right at most of the cameras, or something like that.

8. Ya I had that thought at first, but then I saw some onboard shots in the Corvette during the last few laps and you could tell by the throw and brightness from inside the car compared to the Porsche's that they were brighter. Was a bit like wats goin on here

9. You know Rabbit, you are by far the most knowlegable guy I have ever met for ALMS info. And I know a few people that race in the series and you still know more. Kudo's, You really should think about setting up a BLOG and do regular post to it for us to read. I can see your doing it somewhat here which does allow a more interactive set up. However, Blogs are cleaner to read and follow the meat of the matter. Free & easy to do if you want too. I'm happy to help.

10. I've set up one in the past, but just didn't really have time to keep it up, and there are plenty of other places to get all the info.