American Rice

Discussion in '2001 Pontiac Vibe GT-R Concept' started by ReaverX2, Aug 10, 2002.

1. So Pontiac wants to be a Japanese manufacturer now? I tend to like ricers, but what the hell is this thing? It looks like a Pontiac Aztek. Americans should stick to crappy handling V8's. I'll stick with the civic si.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: American Rice

I'm not against Civics in anyway, but a Civic Si? Not enough power my friend.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: American Rice

I think that its a GREAT start! American companies are finally coming around to the idea of high performance compacts, and a 190 hp four is a great way to introduce this coming of age. I hope it sells!

4. Re: American Rice

crappy handling V8s? my WS6 will piss all over your #%$got Si in a slalom and road course #%$got. but this vibe thing gives my firebird a bad name

5. Re: American Rice

ANOTHER GAY CAR (LIKE THE FOCUS) MADE TO "COMPETE" WITH JAPANESE CARS... IT'S PATHETIC IF YOU ASK ME, JAPS MAKE THE 4-BANGERS NOT THE USA<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: American Rice

HEY GUYS!! It's a TOYOTA POWERPLANT!!

7. Re: American Rice

wow someone will finally bring that up. It is the same #$%#ing car as the toyota matrix and i like that car it has the new and hip factor to it. The Pt Cruiser i like. basically it is jap car with an american name on it.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: American Rice

the matrix?
    i like in fact i know a guy who's buying one and well i talked him into it.
    but well at least pontiac means well but i have my doubts.
    but 190hp with a 6spd in a compact with room for alot of aftermarket supliers , thats just smart buisnesss<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: American Rice

Hey WojoXL! Yah but you probably like the Toyota Matrix! Same friggen car. If it said Honda youd be all over it! This thing is a billion times better than a Civic. I don't understand why anyone would want to rock a Civic. Bland Boring done to death. Gotta have a Civic, what everyone else has eh? Not an imaginative bone in your body.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: American Rice

call me silly but this American Rice looks delicious.. if they give it a good price, i think and hope it will do well. Thats pretty good power =)

11. Re: American Rice

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Grizz2K4</i>
    <b>ANOTHER GAY CAR (LIKE THE FOCUS) MADE TO "COMPETE" WITH JAPANESE CARS... IT'S PATHETIC IF YOU ASK ME, JAPS MAKE THE 4-BANGERS NOT THE USA</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    uhhm, ooh sure.
    so Japanese are the king of the econobox car segmentright?
    if so, why's Mazda using the Focus as the basis for its next gen Protegé? what about Mitsu, the next Galant is going to share plattform with the next gen Stratus, but hey Chrysler is developing the 3 cars.

This Vibe was co-developed by Toyota and Pontiac, that is neither version is a cookie cutter from the other, as they have different visual cues, and while Toyota supplied the powerplant and plattform, POntiac designed the interior for both cars (which looks ultra cool)

My only complaint is ...damn you can get a neat engine (the Celica's 1.8 180hp I4 but it comes as a FWD only. The base engine (the other Celica engine, the 130hp one) comes as FWD and AWD...
    <!-- Signature -->

12. Re: American Rice

Hey this car is not bad. Amazing what they did with the Vibe body. It has an amazing engine, a CELICA engine with an added turbo charger. This car smokes, my dad tried it and he said it is very cool and fast, especially with the six speed manual. He also said it was a very well made car, the interior especially.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: American Rice

Supercharger?? A supercharger that only makes 10hp? The stock vibe makes 180...

I'm so sick of this all show crap, it makes tuners look bad.

I dunno about this, rice can be nice, but not on american cars, only japanese cars...which is why it's called "rice" in the first place.

So what the hell is this? Beef? After all, you know how much beef we americans eat...

14. Re: American Rice

As a 2000 Celica GTS owner, I have a few things to say about this about the pontiac vibe since it is useing the exact same toyota 2ZZ-GE engine that my celica has. First off, in regards to impreza-guy's optimisim about the potential of the vibe with aftermarket...there will likey be no real aftermarket for this car. If this mini compact suv thing would have potential with its six speed and 190hp, then the celica should have tons more potential considering it has the same engine, same six speed transmition, and weighs only 2,400 pounds. Yet there is no real aftermarket support for the celica, so why should there be for the vibe/matrix? btw, the 2zz-ge engine actually makes 190hp but is only rated at 180hp in the united states so people wont sue Toyota if they get a weak engine from the factory(this happened to Mazda a few years ago when the miata's were averageing several horse power less than they were advertised as having), all japanese and European Celica's are rated at 190hp. There is no turbo/super charger out for the 2zz-ge engine yet and I wouldn't hold my breath for one in the near future. The reason being that the celica comes from the factory with an 11.5 to 1 high compression ratio.

15. Re: American Rice

American Rice?!?! isn't that wheat or something?<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: American Rice

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from chameleon</i>
    <b>As a 2000 Celica GTS owner, I have a few things to say about this about the pontiac vibe since it is useing the exact same toyota 2ZZ-GE engine that my celica has. First off, in regards to impreza-guy's optimisim about the potential of the vibe with aftermarket...there will likey be no real aftermarket for this car. If this mini compact suv thing would have potential with its six speed and 190hp, then the celica should have tons more potential considering it has the same engine, same six speed transmition, and weighs only 2,400 pounds. Yet there is no real aftermarket support for the celica, so why should there be for the vibe/matrix? ...
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

for the same reason you see a lot of aftermarket equipment for the PT Cruiser maybe...??
    this youth-oriented car is intended to be : cool, fresh and sporty but ALSO and unlike the Celica... flexible, you can put 2 mountain backs in the rear of the Vibe...
    uhhm... hey man... you say that there's no aftermarket support for the Celica? but I've seen many Celicas with some extra-stuff not from the factory like side skirts and spoilers and... THEN there's the sport-appearance package-. toyota certified... (did you saw the ad: "this thing looks fast?")

<!-- Signature -->