And the 2007 Challenge X winner is...

Discussion in 'Events' started by Rigidreaves, Jun 10, 2007.

1. #1 Rigidreaves, Jun 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Mississippi State University.

MSSTATE Engineering>>>>>>>The Rest
    I was more routing for the supercapacitor designs because I think they have greater potential, but I gotta represent the home team.

2007 Challenge X
    Rising to the Challenge

By KEVIN A. WILSON

AutoWeek | Published 06/07/07, 4:03 pm et

Engineering students at Mississippi State University won the third year of the Challenge X competition, jointly sponsored by General Motors and the U.S. Department of Energy. Seventeen schools converted 2005 Chevy Equinox crossovers to alternative powertrains.

The winning entry uses a hybrid drivetrain charged by a 1.9-liter GM turbodiesel running on B20 biodiesel. The University of Wisconsin placed second with a similar drivetrain while Virginia Tech was third with a different form of hybrid, fueled by E85 ethanol with a spark-ignition 2.3-liter engine.

University of California-Davis, which had big hopes for its plug-in hybrid, the only such vehicle entered, was nearly last, beating only the University of Michigan which had its own unique approach using hydraulics to store energy.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070608/FREE/70607012/1528/STATIC