Any professional car mechanic up in here ?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by G1zm0, May 8, 2012.

  1. My question is, what kind of training you got ?
    I'm leaving the army in the coming year or so an want a career change. I love cara and that's what I want to do, but what training m/course should I follow ?
  2. is cara the doll in your avatar?

    i recommend citrus college, tbf
  3. it all depends on what country you are in. theres different qualifications everywhere to become a mechanic.
  4. I have an associates degree in automotive technology, I also have P2 certification from ASE (By no means required for techs, the test covers a lot of basics and requires parts identification, as well as basic diagnostic procedures).

    In the US there is a lot of push to have technicians ASE certified.

    I would also check in with your local technical college, BWD and Standard Motor Products often hold classroom training sessions in the evenings in these locations. Their classes are a lot more specialized, like 'Top Ford Driveability Problems" and "Scope Use".

    You will also want to get your IMACA/MACS certification so you can purchase and handle R-12.

    There can be profit had in the A/C field. R-12 cannot be purchased without 609 certification and since production ceased on R-12 back in the early 1990s, stockpiles of the stuff are getting smaller and smaller, driving up the price (Roughly $2.50/oz right now). However there are still many pre-1995 cars and trucks on the road with R-12 in them and since these owners cannot purchase R-12 themselves, they are left up to converting. Get yourself a modern recovery machine (Cannot remember the current SAE J-rating, but the latest machines have damn near 100% recovery rate, whereas older machines would end up losing half of the recovered charge), a virgin tank and start drawing down all of that profit from people's cars and then resell it (Legally of course, have to keep logs and certification numbers for at least a few years).

    Similar situation with R134a at the moment, the EU released new requirements for refrigerant, in terms of atmospheric damage, so YR1234 has been developed. It is mildly flammable. Has different service fittings than R134a (Just like R12 did), besides that the only component difference between an R134a system and the new YR1234 system, is the latter has a fatter evaporator core. Since it is new, YR1234 is around $70/lb, your standard size is a 30 lbs tank. 2013 MY European cars have YR1234 currently, as well as any "global" platform cars. For US-only models, nothing yet, as the EPA has not changed their rules, but there is a campaign in progress for the EPA to certify 5 lbs and 10 lbs tanks with the approved ACME threaded top in preparation for YR1234 in the US (This way a shop won't invest over $2,000 in a 30 lbs tank of YR1234).

    There is talk of doing similar recovery and resell with YR1234, as it can be easily retrofitted with R134a.
  5. i guess the real question is, do you like feet
  6. Don't know if it's Cara the doll sorry.

    As far as mechanic trainings are concerned I'm thinking of attending UTI which has ASE certification.

    Thanks FordMan for the info !
  8. couple of brick and 118 piece tool set from sears
  9. those bricks are worthless if they haven't been through exhaustive calibration processes
  10. theyre just #$%#ing bricks

  11. cars are gay and I hate fixing them

    I got a degree just to learn how to fix and resell shit I buy

    and to degree cams
  12. Wait are we trying to degree cams here?
  13. to what degree to you use your degreeing degree?
  14. i'm seeking a 3rd degree. not sure if retarding or advancing.
  15. wait until your tuner gets ahold of those bricks

Share This Page