Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

Discussion in '2002 Honda NSX Coupe' started by BrownDoggie, Aug 9, 2002.

1. What's with all this conglomeration, Honda Integra Type R, Honda NSX. Weren't those Nissan and Acura before?? Are the rice companies joining forces to battle the dominating domestic force? And is this thing AWD or RWD?? And 7300 RPM?? A V-6 can't take that, have mercy!!

2. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

jesus christ man..i told you you knew NOTHING. Acura is Honda's North American luxury division. they have NOTHING to do with Nissan. in America this car is made by Acura. In Japan and almost everywhere else it has the Honda emblem onit. All designed in the same type of factories owned by the same guy. it's about marketing. oh, and when the japenese tune an engine, it can take high rpm's like that or did we not discuss tuning engines already? seriously mr. american muscle, learn something before u start talkin out of your ass.

3. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

7300rpm isn't crazy. The S2000 has 9000rpm and its a 4 cyclinder. It was made to handle the rpm so its fine.

4. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

The S2000 is a DOHC 6.And 7300 rpm is kinda high but not crazy. It would be like having 350hp. (on the same scale)<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

Mustang Cobra R , the S2000 has a 2 litre 4 cylinder, not 6 cylinder, just as JohnLeMVP stated.

6. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

Reason why they can reach RPMs so high is that they are generally a smaller displacement engine. They also have smaller strokes..therfore less forces are imposed.
    The disadvantages are shit HP and shit torque without some other high tech systems to help them out..or like a turbo or two.
    But good thing is great fuel efficiency =)

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Torn18Si</i>
    <b>jesus christ man..i told you you knew NOTHING. Acura is Honda's North American luxury division. they have NOTHING to do with Nissan. in America this car is made by Acura. In Japan and almost everywhere else it has the Honda emblem onit. All designed in the same type of factories owned by the same guy. it's about marketing. oh, and when the japenese tune an engine, it can take high rpm's like that or did we not discuss tuning engines already? seriously mr. american muscle, learn something before u start talkin out of your ass.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->agreed. thank god youre back, torn.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

yes i agree plz do some research before talking, like my frind once told me that all porsche's came with v8's i slapped him pulled him a side opened the hood of my 944 and he shut up, there is only one production v8 porsche on earth, and hopefully that will be the last v8 sports car they make.

9. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

Wow!! Ask one simple question to get something clarified and everyone jumps on you! Back down, girls, don't act so excited you finally found something to crack on a Domestic fan about. And I was joking about the high-revving V-6 thing. You know, it's just that V-6's are notoriously unstable at high RPM's because of the forced design of the rotary mechanisms, compared to a much more stable V-8, 10, and certainly 12. The rotary assembly is geometrically unbalanced. But I guess since I don't know shit, I'll just shut up now.

(PS - "Engine Technology" that keeps the car stable at high RPM's, what would that be? "Electronic Bearing Control?" Don't even begin to tell me it's VTEC...)

10. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

Honda and Acura fool

11. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

You FOOLS. Does anyone not notice this besides me. This is a pet peive to me, i know you all have them. This really ticks me off. If you think you know about cars and you say RPMs like a dumbass, your stupid. IT IS ONLY RPM, NOT RPMS, no matter what, under any curcumstances. I hope that I am not the only one else that notices. There is also an article about that crap in super street, which in my opinion is the best car magazine out right now. Go read it. Dumbasses

12. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

Yes...V6s are not that stable @ high revs and never have been which is what Porsche and Subaru use H6s =)
    Alot more stable..saves room, and give a very unique rumble when pressed hard =)

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

if i had to pick a 6 it would be the one in the supra...I-6's are the best. sorry if i dont know the specifics of an engine like you do doggie, but seriously, you should take a good look at japanese sport cars, the finer qualities of them so you can understand what people are talking about and not get so hung on american muscle. hell i love american sports cars, i love japanese sports cars, but i give the japs more respect for a nicer car. more comfortable, in most cases, handles better and lasts a hell of alot longer.

good to see you again too Buzz. it amazes me how i can find people that seem to know alot about just one side, but still know nothing about the other, so they think that the side they know everything about is the best.

14. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

I agree, the inline-6 is much more stable, and more torquey, as well. I like Japanese sports cars, I never said I didn't. I love Supras, and... well, I love Supras.

Korny - people say "RPMs because it's "RevolutionS Per Minute." They're not saying Revolutions Per Minutes, they're simply saying Revolutions, or RPMs, since "Rs" would just confuse everbody.

15. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

Ummm..reason why they didn't use an I6 is because it's consumes more room than a V6. The V6 is technically more compact =)
    Also when Honda designed the V6 for the NSX, they wanted to make sure that VTEC works with V6s so they can produce VTEC V6s for like Accords..etc..

Also, the I6 would create too much vertical tortional forces makes the car sorta hop.
    The tech to make these engines 10 years ago are not as great as now.

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SRB The Punisher</i>
    <b>Reason why they can reach RPMs so high is that they are generally a smaller displacement engine. They also have smaller strokes..therfore less forces are imposed.
    The disadvantages are shit HP and shit torque without some other high tech systems to help them out..or like a turbo or two.
    But good thing is great fuel efficiency =)

DA PUN</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

well then you'd be suprised to learn the S2000 has a 84mm stroke which is not very short at all! Infact, very average for 4 & 6 pots. The almost square 86x84mm bore and stroke is ordinary - its lightweight alloys that get the revs in a VTEC's case. Because the engines are small the extra cost in negliable.
    The s2000 has good torque 220Nm + from just 2 litres, thats very good VE, torque is only a measure of efficiency - its irrelevant. Horsepower is what makes you accelerate, it's the revs where the peak flow of air and fuel through the engine occurs. The S2000 flows as much as a V8 twice its size.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

Wow, a very intelligent post. First time I've seen a reference to Volumetric Efficiency, which is phenomenally more important than Specific Output, thank you. Few points though:

Torque is highly important, expecially in acceleration. It is actually far more important than HP, which not many people understand. Light cars rely on it less; you're forsaking power for weight. But it is allways more important than HP, just not as impressive. And an engine's bore/stroke has no specific correlation to each other; longer stroke, more revs; bigger piston diameter, better power. But the numbers are uncomparable from a mathmatical standpoint, as one is the diamter of the cylinders and one is the length of the connecting rods (so they can't actually be "square").

I should stop and say that I like this car, based on the information above. My question was based solely from my own quest to gain broader knowledge from the world of performance automobiles.

VTEC doesn't mean that much, though, it's very overrated.

18. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

i do agree with browndoggie about the whole vtec thing, i even own a '96 prelude Si, which is not vtec. the vtec version of my car only does 0-60 2 tenths of a second faster. hell if i put an iceman intake on my car it will cover that ground. and thats only $120, where as the vtec upgrade would have cost me a few grand at the time of purchase. bad news though for me, i'm an idiot that lost control going 90 on a windy road and put me car backwards into a ditch. never felt it slip till it was spinnin. bah, only means i have a reason to paint it midnight blue instead of white. nothing mechanical damaged.

19. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

Hehehehe..
    nice colour man.. I like =)

like I said..torque very important =)
    But you have to remember that S2000 is an inline, also it's got 4 cyl..displacement of 2L and so on.
    It's a lightweight aluminum/carbonfibre engine.
    It can rev high and take the forces.
    But it's tuned to rev very high to get the HP it needs and the torque, which I dun like..I like instantaneous low rev torque =)

DA PUN
    <!-- Signature -->

20. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

honda and acura are the same co. its like ford and lincoln and stuff

21. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

LOL..I think we all know that by now rite?

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: Are Honda and Nissan joining forces here...

At least I don't think there's anybody who don't know.<!-- Signature -->