AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

Discussion in '2001 HSV VX2 SV300' started by YarRacing, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

so thats why all the international head offices of australias major 4 car manufacturers have invested billions in expanding their operations in australia through engine plants, r&d centres, new model development and so on

holden beat ford again this month so the tables are hardly turning and just wait till teh new model comes out and the v6 has power to compete with ford again

2. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

as soon as the new V6 comes out ford are gunna be back in the dark ages.

3. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

Yeah, and thats also why Mitsubishi was threatening to leave and ship from Japan. The reason why Mitsubishi are still herer is because the government give them incentives to stay here. Like tax hollidays or protection or subsidies. If the company stays hee, ppl keep their jobs. If all protection was removed only Ford and Holden would stay here casue toyota and mitsubishi could produce more efficiently out of Japan. The fact that the companies have huge capital investments here means nothing, its whether its profitable for them to stay here or ship out of Japan.

4. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

Yep exactly. Ford is constantly playing catchup, they have only just pulled ahead with their 6cyl and suspension - suspension that only rides better than Commodore, not handle.

5. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

and gives better tyre wear

6. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

yep, they will really be it trouble with the new engine and gearbox as well as new suspension design coming in with the ve that will get the commodire not leaning on its outside front so much and burning it up

7. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

I do agree with you about Ford constantly playing catch-up (hopefully a new HO will put ford ahead or Holden behind a few years), but i will admire Holden/HSV when they devellop their own motors. Now i know Ford OZ import their 5.4 blocks and heads so don't use the old cliche "you don't know what you're talking about".

8. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

holden will make their own v8s again one day but im doubt they will develop them because they already have a great v8 engine that they can have without spending the millions on developing a different v8 just sop they can say its australian

9. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

yeah with the new plant in melbourne it would be stupid not to utilise it to make Gen IV V8's. They also should find a gearbox other than T56 or whatever its called, and the hydramatic auto

10. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

There is nothing really wrong with those boxes. They don't need to be replaced.

11. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

the manual is one of the only boxes that can handle the torque but is a bit slow to shift. think there is a planned replacement for that

the auto just shifts a bit slow, clunks and doesnt always kick back at the right time and there is also a planned replacement for that. i got the auto box in my vs commodore and it works fine, i no there are better out there but it does its job relatively well and i dont ever think "this gearbox really isnt very good"

12. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

The slow shifting of the manual is easily fixed by a short throw lever.

The HSV autos are calibrated to shift faster than those in the Holden range - and you can have it reprogrammed to shift faster if you want - provided you want to love some smoothness. It is not the gearbox that clunks, it is the diff in the car. My family has 2 cars with the box and have had a 3rd car with the box and there is no complaints about it in any of the 3 cars.

13. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

the short throw may quicken the shift but it will still be rubbery and vague in the gates..

and even you must agree the hydramatic isnt smooth, or intelligent (i.e. it kicks down at the wrong time etc etc)

Try driving a 5 or 6 speed auto bee emm or merc and come back to me

14. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

The hydramatic is smooth, and is as smooth as every other gearbox in cars that it competes with...ie falcons, magnas, camrys etc all of which shift smoothly. not sure what its like compared to bmw's or mercs though. I have driven several autotmatic commodores with different engines and this box and I have never found it to be unintelligent by kicking down at the wrong time - if the box kicks down, it is obviouisly in a situation where it needs to, im sure it doesnt kick down for the hell of it.

15. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

compared to other aussie cars i have driven the auto isnt to bad. the magna is supposed to have the best auto. the commodore auto does the job and we've had 4 cars with it and have had no complaints. if anyting it doesnt kick down sometimes when you want it to but never kicks down when you dont want it to.

16. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

i've only driven a hire exec so maybe the programming had something to do with it, but most reviews seem to suggest the box isn't a great one

17. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

Yeah I have read many reviews that say that. Thing I find funny is that I have read reviews from the past VS era for example and they have said it is a good box.

18. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

Well look at other makers who have gone from 4 speeds to 5 and 6 speeds, while holden has stayed with the old hydramatic

19. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

thats changing when the new hfv6 comes in next year

and the auto does seem smoother in the pre vt commodores because they weigh less which places less strain on it

20. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

is the new auto a 6 speed or a 5 speed?

21. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

5 speed.

Not 100% sure but I believe its the 5L40 box that BMW use in some of their 3 and 5 series cars.

22. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

That's a ZF box isn't it?

whoever makes it it is a good 'box

23. Re: AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

It's actually made by hydramatic (GM)