auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

Discussion in '2002 BMW M3 CSL Concept' started by HotBoxer, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

what issue? Id like to read it.

2. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

270hp/tonne not bad... I think it's possible

3. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

this is an amazing car

4. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

the jaguar a-type had a 0-60 in 4.6, with full luxury items.
    a lightweight version will be produced in 2003, and first seen on september 26th.
    though unfair to match it up....
    but the XKA RS, is the jaguar lightweight car.
    with probably 500 hp, and a 0-60 to improve drastically from the 4.6, and officials saying performance similar to the XJR-15...
    it's no wonder why bmw decided not to produce this car the way it is, because it would have been destroyed by a Jaguar.
    i've heard bmw is planning on upgrading the CSL to a 4.0l engine if they decide to produce it...
    that's be interesting to see

5. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

have you basically dedicated your life to trying to show people there are a few Jags that might be faster than this BMW or what? I don't think anyone in this BMW forum really cares what Jaguar has done.

6. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

no, not really, but making sure that those narrow minded people thinking jaguar stinks because it's own by ford, and "never" can beat a BMW, are completely wrong...
    at least you recognize there are Jaguars that do beat BMW... some people still can't believe that

7. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

I always give credit where it is due. By the way I inspected the engine compartment of the new mini yesterday (a co worker bought one) and ALL of the labels and service instructions have BMW logos (including BMW spelled out in German) So yes BMW centers can perform service on them and it is a german car. I assume Jaguars have Jaguar service labels and engine info cards, and that is how I am ending the new mini origin argument.

8. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

so what it has a label on it...
    Arden has a label on its Engine replacing the Jaguar engine, though it's really an Jaguar engine made in the UK.. now that label doesn't make the Jaguar German now does it?
    i'm not saying Mini isn't own by BMW... I'm just saying it's not German. it's always been a british car company.
    yes some BMW centers can perform service... didn't say they can't, what i said is there is a vast numbers that do not, because they are not certified to do so. they need to add special machinery for certain parts, is one of major concerns. But the roll over effect has been good. When i originally posted about half a year ago, i mind you, few bmw dealers were servicing minis.
    instead, the freeport, ling island bmw dealer were sending them to the land rover/ jaguar dealer down the road. because they were already equiped with the necessary tools and machinery for certain repairs.
    that's the truth happened a lot in the US in the early going, go and research.
    the minis 2001/2002 are built in a UK plant without much BMW modifications...
    the newer ones from 2002 1/2 and especially the 2003 1/2 and on already had greater BMW modifications.
    label really doesn't say anything, i mind you, but where it was actually built...
    the minis were built including the engine in the UK, and that's the end of that argument

9. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

it makes no difference where the car or the motor is built, its who designed it and controls where and how its built. BMW fills both of those requirments.

10. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

here's a news flash, bmw did not design Mini.
    have they redesigned it? i suppose so...
    but what's the differences from the 1996 Rover Mini?

11. #11 HotBoxer, Sep 18, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

they look very different to me

http://www.supercars.net/Comp?sourceList=1443&CompList=1443-1822

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_2433.html

http://www.minispace.fsnet.co.uk/club/tom/tom.htm
    in this link you can see a 99 mini and its obviously completely different than the mini BMW is building.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/car_reviews/main_review.asp?model_id=268

http://www.miniweb.mynetcologne.de/about-my-mini.htm

as you can see the mini's produced by rover have nothing in comon with the ones made by BMW other than the name.

12. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

nothing in common?
    for me they look similar, of course not the same...
    but they have the same hood type, same front end look...
    basic design is the same.
    rover just looks old
    BMW changed the body a bit, of course fine tuned the engine.
    BMW just gave it a more modern look...

by 1999, BMW already owned Mini.
    they bought it in the 1998 aquisition with Rover.
    2001, bmw sold rover, but kept the rights to Mini.
    also part of the problem was, the UK government wanted to prevent what was appearing to be a British monopoly of cars in the UK, if ford also got Mini.
    you can tell bmw done modifications, but it didn't took rocket science to redesign the car to a more modern standard.
    what i'm saying is that bmw didn't invent the Mini, or done anything drastic to it.
    Mini is still a British car company, and still has some British looks to it, though now it's own and operated by a German company.
    i'm also glad, that BMW is opening another plant for the MINI, and keeping it in the UK.

13. #13 JaguarX, Sep 19, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  14. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

I never said BMW invented the mini, they did however design the new car, its not a redesign because it has a completly different engine and chassis, they just kept the styling cues. The only thing in common with the british mini and the BMW mini is overall shape and styling cues.

15. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

i can live with that... as long as you say Mini is still a British car

16. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

yeah look british to me

17. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

No one cars about shitty Jaguar.

Angus

18. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

no one cares about how dumb you are...

19. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

why? becuase they have some vinyl stickers on the top? Looks don't mean shit, I look irish but there isn't a drop of irish blood in my family.

20. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

if the car was really German, don't you think BMW would put a germany flag instead of a UK flag?

21. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

news flash, they come with american flags on the top too. Does that make them American?

22. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

Good one... and still nobody likes Jaguar.

Angus

23. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

no one likes Jaguar...
    hmm hmm sure... and that's why was voted higher than BMW in Spain, Italy, Ireland, and of course the UK.
    The "Stupid" Mondeo, got 7 car of the year awards...
    the BMW, did not. Though i must give credit to the redesigning of the Mini.
    people like to buy dependable cars, BMW is not.
    sure you got nice 0-60. what good will that do, when you have engine failtures, and factory defects?
    as much as I like the M3, people like you convinves people that BMW isn't as great as what some people say it is.
    saying Ford stinks, makes BMW garbage.
    does a stock Ford car have a luxury of a BMW, no of course not.
    But that's where Jaguar and Aston Martin and Land Rover is for. Volvo to a degree as well..
    you want 0-60, you get a Mustang, or better yet a Falcon if you're out of the States.
    if you want to drive in class, you'll get a Jaguar not a BMW,
    BMW has yet to match the class, luxury and prestige of a Vanden Plas.
    only thing close offered by BMW, is the RR, but that's 3 times more expensive.
    saying no one like Jaguar, is as ignorant as saying no one likes BMW,
    you can't say a car stinks, if it beats your car

24. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

the photo shot, was the first showing, featuring the Mini heritage... yes now they make of almost any country, including Austrilia... Mini is owned by BMW, but it doesn't make it a German car company.
    granted you got the argument, it does have a modified engine, by BMW.
    the FW24 has a BMW engine, but it's the Wilson team, Wilson BMW if you wish. Country of origin is UK.
    Jaguar is set to have a turbo diesel, from Volvo. If its from that, is Jaguar then German? Or how about the 2.0 X-Type, with a modified Ford engine, is it then American?
    it's tricky, but most people in supercars.net believes its UK, the press says its a UK company, so i guess that settles it.

25. Re: auto car tested this the o-60 was 4.4sec

did jaguar design the chassis? did they design the rest of the car? I think the answer is yes. Did the mini people (I say people because Rover sure as hell didn't design it and the only other group left is BMW and you seem to have a problem with it) design anything on the new car? the answer is no. If everyone on SC.net thinks this the new mini is a UK car why are you the only one arguing with me? I seem to remember most people on the new mini forums saying it was german also. I have yet to see a press article that says it is british flat out. and its Williams/BMW not Wilson. Their F1 car is a openly obvious joint venture, they don't even do much testing in Germany or England, its mostly in Spain. That comparison has little relevance to what we are talking about.