Aviation people

Discussion in 'Boats, Planes, Other' started by Baklava, Oct 29, 2013.

1. can anyone tell what happened here and why the hell a phone is located near the front wheel?

2. You'll notice that the asphalt that the aircraft is poking through is only, perhaps, 4 inches thick before you reach the previous layer. That is not sufficient for large aircraft (and likely not even sufficient for a moderately-traveled highway). The paved layer of a major runway can be several feet thick, as a large aircraft (like the MD-11 pictured) can weigh 200-500 tons or more. Likely due to crew error, the aircraft did not follow the centre line (the nose landing gear should be on the middle yellow line), and taxi'd right over the airport lighting.

Also, there is a connection to communicate near the nose landing gear so that ground crew can communicate to the flight crew, for instance if the aircraft is being towed in or pushed out of the gate. Or of they start taxing over airport lighting.

3. ah thanks. didnt know had a breaking point like that.

4. What sort of tyre pressures do large passenger/cargo aircraft have? An A 380 has a max. takeoff weight of 560 tons. That's 10 Leclerc tenks.

5. I'm going to guess around 175-200 psi.

6. Friend of mine responded with 15 bar, but he doesn't work on landing gear so who knows.

7. How often are those tires replaced?

8. Sounds a bit low. Semi-trailer tyre pressures are around 8,5 bar -> 11-12 bar during motion.

9. Then again, aircraft tyres aren't probably designed to achieve max. fuel efficiency on long distances but to withstand the impact during landing and stop the aircraft while not bursting.

10. Internet says that a 747 has a tyre pressure of 21 bar under cold conditions (whatever that means). I wouldn't want to change those. Last year some guy died in Finland while changing a heavy forklift tyre with a pressure of ~10 bar. Most of him was found 7 meters from the forklift and the wrench he had used had gone trough a steel door. The 13 ton forklift had toppled over.

11. I would imagine that the rated pressure on an aircraft tire (as a fraction of its operating pressure) is much higher than ground-based vehicles, being the aircraft tire has to be rated for overweight landings and overweight emergency stops and such.

12. Especially aircraft that are transporting hippos

13. I believe they put them in massive cages to inflate/deflate.

14. another aviation question. couple of days ago i was in an airbus a320. i noticed during take off, that there was some mist/vapor coming from just above the windows. and this was only during takeoff. what is this? is this to pressurize the plane or something?

15. #15 DownwardSpiral, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Probably a heat differential between the double pane window. That little hole usually clears most of it but not all sometimes. Pressurization is certainly not vented through the windows. All aircraft are different but transport category typically have a main outflow valve and a fuselage door that vents pressurized air to atmosphere.

http://www.b737.org.uk/pressurisation.htm

So anybody that tells you the air is recycled in aircraft you can now say that's bullpoo.

16. I'm guessing they have visual inspection and maybe life limited cycles.

17. #17 Baklava, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    it was not really the windows. it was above it. the panels between the overhead compartment and the windows. a lot of mist/vapour came through into the cabin.

18. Dunno man, #$%#in weird.