Aviation thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DIGGS, May 31, 2017.

1. No, not them. Just regular poor Israelis.

2. Like they could hear the planes over the JDAM explosions.

3. Heh, they are loud indeed. More modern turboprops, such as newer variants of ATR-72 are so quiet that they can land on airports with very strict noise regs.

4. ATR-72 lands every day on the airport of my city. They are pretty quiet yeah. It regularly flies over my house.

5. I want a tu95 to fly over now. Just to hear how loud it is.

6. The current political situation means that such flyovers could generate noise levels of over 200 dBA.

7. They often fly over the north sea and get intercepted, so sometimes i hear jets going through soundbarrier. Never heard the bear though.

8. And another one. Wtf, stop being annoying

Schermafbeelding 2017-07-04 om 19.56.04.png

9. Lol u guys ever heard of Galaxy C5 or whatever its ear screeching for like 5min

10. Dutch airforce only has kdc-10 and hercules so i never seen a c5 :(

11. To be honest, the C-5 is not that loud by military standards. Its engines are more-or-less the same as the civilian CF-6 engines that power numerous commercial aircraft. It's about the same noise level as a 70s-era commercial jet.

The loudest I've heard was when I visited my friend, who was then working as a research engineer at CFB / DRDC Suffield. Suffield is the home of BATUS, where most tanker training for the British Army happens, and that year they were doing combined-arms training with the RAF. Low, high-speed passes by Tornados shake the windows pretty bad.

12. The harrier in hover is the loudest I've heard in person.

13. F22 is the loudest shit ever

14. Any afterburning low-bypass turbofan or turbojet is very loud.

15. Loudest i've heard so far was 2 f 16's going through the soundbarrier. They were intercepting a tu-95 bearski. I was at my office, which is a government building. There were 2 loud bangs and the windows were shaking, i thought of the posibility of a terrorist attack because it's a government building lol.

16. this is pretty cool

17. well if it isn't **** me twice, the sound was horrible and enough to have me stop working and go outside and wished I were American. Low pass jetfighter I would shit my pants

listen at this one

18. holy shit, how does it not stall?

19. #69 Vanilla Ice, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    And just like that, tariffs on the CSeries dropped from 300% to zero. Bombardier has give a 50.01% stake of the CSeries program to Airbus (all other Bombardier programs are unaffected). The remaining 49.99% is split between Bombardier and the Province of Quebec, although Bombardier plans to buy out the Province's stake over time. No cash was exchanged in the deal, but Bombardier will open a new production line at Airbus' Alabama plant (currently used exclusively for US-bound A320 deliveries). Airbus is also throwing in its supply chain management system, and its entire marketing and legal offices (which are both looking to be heavily utilized in this deal - especially from the inevitable trade complaint from Boeing). Bombardier's Montreal plant is not expected to decrease its production rate, since orders are expected to increase with the Airbus deal. All non-US bound aircraft would be built in Montreal, unless a major Chinese order is secured (where Bombardier has an existing agreement with Comac).

There's also the possibility that Airbus' not-insignificant A320-based defense systems could be adapted to the CSeries for smaller markets, but that's a conversation for another time (likely years from now.)

This is a nightmare for Boeing: their aggressive power plays in the US market are pushing their largest competitors closer together. And so maintaining their dominant position in the US may come at the cost of losing a favorable position globally. Bombardier already has strategic agreements in place with Comac in China (although it's playing the paternalistic role in that partnership, while Airbus is taking on that role here). Canada is the second-largest external supplier of aerospace products to Europe, and Europe is the second-largest external supplier of aerospace products to Canada (both following the United States). About a month ago, both had tariffs of about 5% on one another in the aerospace sector and those have since dropped to zero under CETA. I'll be interested to see if collaboration and growth follow; I'll be surprised if they don't, considering how poorly a few US firms are behaving as global citizens. And if Canada pursues further integration into EU apparatuses - having already been an ESA member for some time, for instance.

HippoCrushEverything likes this.
  20. I'm assembling the AGB of a CF-6-80C2 at the moment. Sadly taking photos is forbidden. Not that the gearbox would be particularly interesting to look at, but the partially assembled engine is.

21. Closing clips from the NFB documentary Challenger: An Industrial Romance.

[​IMG]
    The blocks and sheets of aluminum,

[​IMG]
    the hundreds of miles of wire,

[​IMG]
    the ideas and craftsmanship of thousands of people, finally come to life within the personality of a single machine.

[​IMG]
    Test pilots talk of high control power, of harmonization of control forces, of good balance and handling:

[​IMG]
    the qualities of a great aircraft.

[​IMG]
    But [Doug] Atkins brags that this aircraft is gifted with that least tangible of qualities:

[​IMG]
    It enjoys flying, if such a thing is possible.

22. Typical of our leaders, nice fail for us

23. this is propaganda

24. Bombardier over-extended itself and over-estimated the market at a bad time. It needed a partner badly. This was, I think, one of the best possible outcomes.

25. of course it was, other option was dying. They saved jobs... for now.

Our BB involvement is a trainwreck.