Aviation thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DIGGS, May 31, 2017.

1. Terminal 3 LAX

[​IMG]

Baklava and WhiteChocolateWorld like this.
  2. clean lines
    [​IMG]

Veyronman likes this.
  3. [​IMG]
    piece of the Saturn V that lifted humans to the moon, found off the coast of florida
    intact:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    for scale, photo of delivery to aviation museum in seattle
    [​IMG]

Veyronman likes this.
  4. #80 Sick Boy, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    What the flying **** is that:

The Pentagon’s Secret Search for UFOs

At a recent press conference for To The Stars in Las Vegas, Mellon described one of the sightings reported by U.S. Navy pilots: "It is white, oblong, some 40 feet long and perhaps 12 feet thick…The pilots are astonished to see the object suddenly reorient itself toward the approaching F/A-18. In a series of discreet tumbling maneuvers that seem to defy the laws of physics. The object takes a position directly behind the approaching F/A-18. The pilots capture gun camera footage and infrared imagery of the object. They are outmatched by a technology they’ve never seen."

I don't think it's extraterrestrial anything, and most likely it's not even something man made. Could it be a natural phenomena or some crazy illusion?

One of the accounts, extensively detailed in the New York Times, involved two F/A-18F Super Hornets dispatched to investigate “mysterious aircraft” detected by the U.S.S. Princeton off the coast of in 2004. The UFOs were detected appearing out of nowhere at an elevation of 80,000 feet, plummeting towards the sea, and then hovering above the water at 20,000 feet. They then shot back into the air or descended below radar range. Per aviation enthusiast site FighterSweep.com, at the time the Princeton’s SPY-1 system was “the most sophisticated and powerful tactical radar on the planet.”

The two pilots, Cmdr. David Fravor and Lt. Cmdr. Jim Slaight, flew so close to the location of the aircraft that their radar signatures couldn’t be separated from the unknown object’s. They then noticed that the sea appeared to be churning before the scene descended into utter fucking madness, per the Times:

Hovering 50 feet above the churn was an aircraft of some kind—whitish—that was around 40 feet long and oval in shape. The craft was jumping around erratically, staying over the wave disturbance but not moving in any specific direction, Commander Fravor said. The disturbance looked like frothy waves and foam, as if the water were boiling.

When the aircraft approached, Fravor told the paper, “It accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen” and disappeared, causing him to be “pretty weirded out.” But then something happened that weirded him out even more. When the jets began to retreat to another position 60 miles away, radar showed the object reappeared there in less than a minute.

https://gizmodo.com/uh-so-the-pentagon-spent-22-million-on-a-mysterious-u-1821359187?IR=T

5. I don't think you can pick up illusions on radar. @Vanilla Ice ? This is definitely your territory. Could it be IRL testing of super secret aircraft/drone?

6. this ufo stuff is so weird. the nyt reported on this with i guess a decent source, and everyone was like 'ok but we've got a lot going on right now'

who the **** knows what to make of it? i dont think its an alien craft. I think its some weird govt project. but why is it getting out now? why are the methods used previously to keep this stuff under wraps not working now?

7. The UFO thing is basically the governments way of getting its citizens to look out for foreign aircraft in its skies... the reason they probably are releasing this now is because they want people to be on the lookout because of the North Korea crisis, for unusual aircraft or missiles in US skies. C3sXX__VYAAHIBV.jpg

8. as if 'watch for missiles' isnt enough motivation?

9. That's silly. North Korea is an ocean away, and OTH radar is a technology that exists. If its legit North Korean aircraft, it would be detected over the ocean and intercepted 200 miles from shore - long before a human could observe the thing. If it were a long-range missile, the US Army's AN/TPY-2 radar in South Korea would pick it up before it even left the peninsula, and re-entry vehicles are a giant screaming ball of plasma thats pretty fucking hard to miss on a radar screen.

In fact, the US government has much more to gain from its citizens not taking an interest in unusual aircraft than the opposite. Planespotters - people who seek out unusual aircraft types or tail numbers at airports as a hobby, especially with photography - were critical in unravelling the CIA's program of extraordinary rendition, for instance. And a lot of what we know about the US aircraft testing establishment is from tracking flights around the China Lake - Edwards - Groom Lake - Las Vegas complex (those handful of flights that are forced to file civilian flight plans, communicate on civilian frequencies, and use civilian transponders).

10. #86 Vanilla Ice, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    You actually can. The most obvious scenario is spoofing a radar return (ie: someone intentionally faking a radar signature, as opposed to the rarer case, though not impossible, of a natural phenomenon). There are a lot of types of electronic warfare that target hostile radar. Some of them are pretty basic, like jamming a chaff (just fill the frequency with as much noise as you can), but others are extremely sophisticated. For example, say an Exocet missile is flying at your ship and you realize you're being bathed in its homing radar. There are modern decoys that launch small, usually rocket-powered hovering vehicles that read and process the radar signal and return a calculated, simulated radar return of the ship they're protecting. These hovering vehicles can then seperate themselves physically from the ship they're protecting, such that where the Exocet previously only saw one ship, it now sees two or three and has to decide on which to target. (Then you fire off chaff and start jamming anyway, and try to target the incoming missile with a RAM or CIWS, just to keep things interesting).

There are all sorts of natural phenomenon that can cause false returns too. When radio astronomers find an interesting new signal, the very first thing they do is ask a colleague as far from them as possible (another continent ideally) to try to reproduce the observation, just to double-check that they're not seeing a man-made signal (one that may be reflected off of a satellite or even, I've been told, the Moon). In a place like San Diego, a place cluttered with maritime radars, where you have all sorts of electronic interference from the massive Southern California conturbation, and a number of defense contractors actively developing radio technology in the area, it isn't that crazy that a ship picked up an anomalous return. A strange interference pattern sitting in the middle of empty sky, caused by a handful of radio sources, can absolutely look like a solid object to a radar operator. It also depends on the location of your antenna, which would explain why the shipborn radar would see something 'clear as day', while the E-2 Hawkeye in the air (an aircraft whose own radar is no slouch) picked up nothing of the sort, or a dramatically reduced return.

The really interesting part here is that the anomaly was detected in a huge variety of wavelengths: UHF radar (on the E-2), S-band (on the Aegis ship), X-band (on the Hornet's AESA radar), IR (via the ATFLIR pods on the Super Hornets), and visible by the pilots themselves. This is way harder to spoof, and on the technical side is a way stronger case that something was actually physically there (assuming, you know, that we're getting an honest account of this here, which who knows. The Navy doesn't just post its sensor logs on its blog). I don't want to speculate more than that, because this is all hearsay for the time being. But if you believe that a signal was observed in five wavelengths, on three platforms, from five vantage points, then I would say that you believe that thing actually existed and wasn't an illusion or spoof, regardless of what it actually was.

HippoCrushEverything, IdoL and ETB4U like this.
  11. #87 Sick Boy, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    @Vanilla Ice

Could this be a natural phenomenon that got picked up by sensors AND also produced visual stimuli that got misinterpreted by the pilots?

A lot of freaky observations turn out to be just natural phenomenon that are initially thought to be too incredible to be natural. Like how "spirits" seen in swamp areas are just naturally produced gas that gets combusted and people think they are ghosts.

I wonder if a complex phenomenon here could have been picked up by different radars and humans. Seems like a more parsimonious explanation than some physical object that defies the laws of physics/aeronautics.

12. you absolute shill did you sign an NDA on the mothership or what

HippoCrushEverything likes this.
  13. I like the implication that aliens from across the galaxy have no greater means of coercion than to threaten legal action. I don't know what that says about humanity, but it is none too nice.

HippoCrushEverything likes this.
  14. What's anyone's favourite airport?

My personal favourite is Changi airport in Singapore. Free swimming pool and sauna, carpet all over the floor so it's really quiet etc.

Least favourite is Paris Charles de Gaulle and KLIA in Kuala Lumpur. Really outdated dirty airports.

15. Honestly, never really visited an airport that I actually liked. Tel Aviv's nice because it means I'm going on vacation. Newark is shit and I remember Nairobi's being all wooden and weird.

Baklava likes this.
  16. Vancouver international. Lots of cool architecture and art exhibits. Not too big not too small.

Baklava likes this.
  17. free airport pool sounds like a disease swamp

ETB4U likes this.
  18. It's not so bad actually. It's a bit hidden away so almost nobody knows about it.

[​IMG]

19. Now I know and it will be full of AIDS

I had an actual question about choked nozzles to Vanilla Ice but I drank too many alcohols and forgot the question.

20. Wouldn't visual identification (I'm taking a wild guess here that most individuals don't operate AN/TPY-2s) of an incoming reentry vehicle be quite useless anyway, serving no other purpose than to inform the very few among us who could tell the difference between a reentry vehicle and a shooting star, that one is about to get some very nasty burns in 3...2...1...?

And to make those burns all the more painful because mixed feelings of Bertie the Turtle and your carbonised offspring had just enough time to enter your consciousness during the time it did to do the "duck and cover"-routine from the 50's PSA.

If I had to choose between spending my remaining 65 hours on Earth with a burned arsehole or eyeballs dangling at scrotal altitudes, I'd immediately take the first option but I'm not sure I could solve the problem of arranging the blackened bones of my infant daughter in a crib so that it would be aesthetically pleasing.

21. I don't get what the big deal is. He made a reading mistake. People expect just because he is president that he knows everything about fighter jets? Or that he can't make a reading mistake?
    It said they sold 52 F35s. He misread it and said they sold some f52 and f35s.
    Seems like a pretty simple mistake.
    Seems like a bit of a witch hint scenario here. Hate for the sake of hate.

22. this is his first gaffe, i guess we should let it slide
    in every other arena he has shown remarkable attention to detail and a steadfast commitment to accuracy and factual integrity

23. #100 DIGGS, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Being an idiot isn't really relatable to making a silly reading error.
    Like what next? "Trump spills soup on tie during lunch. More proof he isn't fit for presidency!"

Rip him for his political mistakes. Rip him for his crude way of handling things. Rip him for his alleged illegal ties. Don't rip a human for making a human mistake that almost everybody makes everyday. Very trivial. Takes away from the power of the legit issues.