Back in an E38 7 series.

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by Chris V, Jun 24, 2015.

1. picked up this '01 740i Sport late last week and spent the weekend driving all over. $7500 and it has a laundry list of things that have ben replaced on it in the last 3k miles by its BMW tech owner (who was moving out of the country so had to sell). Damn near the purchase price of the car in new parts alone.

It's got a couple neat upgrades like the later M steering wheel. I'm going to do an axleback exhaust system, add modern bluetooth to it and some cosmetic personalization but mostly leave it alone. E38s are my favorite 7 series and one of my favorite BMWs overall.

Attached Files:

id3550 likes this.
  2. Love the Sport seats, too.

Attached Files:

3. nice buy
    such a good era for 7's and 5's

4. such an awesome car

7. love these, congrats.

8. No phone, but I'm doing the iphone integration.

And I just got my exhaust done...

Attached Files:

9. Dunno which ones I love more, these or the D2 A8s of the same period... Anyway, great choice.

10. Still my favorite 7 series.

11. More shots with all the mods done...

Attached Files:

12. the exhausts look out of place. other than that, nice car

13. one of my favorite 7 series much better than the modern ones

14. pics from today

Attached Files:

15. Took it out for a 200 mile trip across north central Maryland, though rolling farmlands and twisty mountain roads in the Catoctin Mountains. So much fun:

Attached Files:

16. beautiful. I'm seriously considering buying an E31 with some wiring issues (mainly alternator and someone put a radio in it at some point in time). seeing you with your E38s really pushes me to want to go for it

17. Hate seeing super cheapo tires on a nice car like that.

18. So far, almost 5000 trouble free miles.

19. Sumitomo HTR Z III's aren't super cheapo tires. They are great summer ultra high performance tires that have great recommendations at Tire Rack and elsewhere. They grip phenomenally, wear good, and ride great. I had them in 19" on my last E38 and was happy to see them on this one when I got it.

20. Just took it on a 2000+ mile round trip down to St Petersburg, Florida, from here in Baltimore. Zero issues. Pretty good for a now 158k mile car that's 15 years old. And, I averaged just about 27 mpg at 75 mph (calculated to 26.78 mpg based on fuel used at each gas stop)

21. thats not too bad at all

22. M62, especially the TUB(vanos), is surprisingly good when it comes to highway MPG. It's impressive for a German V8 designed in the 90s.

23. Great car, I'm not too keen on the angels eyes or on the carbon fiber dash on the driver's side. But I would still love to own it !