BEER THREAD IV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Atomic2, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Haha, I think I know where that place might be.

I'm kind of surprised Abt 12 fared that poorly. I love Abt 12, though you're right in that ratings really aren't everything.

2. I've done a Trappist quad horizontal a few times (though never blind), and I'm pretty sure if you gave me Westy and Abt 12 next to each other without telling me what they were, I'd think they were the same beer. Rochefort 12 is the one that stands out the most, in my mind.

3. Isn't the primary difference between Westy 12 and Abt 12 about 30 years of yeast evolution in different facilities? Like, same recipes, same equipment, same yeast 30 years ago?

4. Drinking an NZ brew at the moment, which is pretty rare for me. Drinking an 8 Wired C4 Double Coffee Brown and really enjoying it. Wasn't impressed with their IPA, but a big coffee forward brown definite travels better.

5. I'm always super wary of trying IPAs from overseas, unless the vendor can vouch for their freshness. Why would I want to spend a ton of money on a beer that doesn't travel well when great examples are made all around me?

6. Exactly. With piles of California, Colorado and Arizona IPAs all around me, why would I pay MORE for something that had to travel thousands of miles to get to me. Both of the 8 Wired beers I had were from kegs, but still...

7. Interesting, I definitely thought the abt 12 was much thinner than all 3 of the other beers we tasted.

8. I did it a while back (not blind) and felt Abt 12 and Westy 12 were six of one and a half dozen of the other as the others said, too.

9. Seems Arizona should be getting a decent amount of Bourbon County stuff this year. Last year we just got a handful of bottles of BCBS. This year there's at least one event where they'll have BCBS and BCBBW, amongst other GI beers on tap, so I'm thinking that means we'll see bottles. That makes me happy, but I'm not going to go nuts on them. Will probably just pick up a couple bottles of each.

10. Nor sure I follow.

As for BCBS, I don't see why you wouldn't stock up on it. Not like a case or anything, but 8 or so bottles of each. It ages great and honestly $25 for a 4pk is still cheaper per ounce than most high end beers.

11. Just saying that normally, as the others said, the two beers are nearly indistinguishable. I'm sure a monk from either place could tell the difference, but even most people who know Belgian/Trappist beers wouldn't be able to tell which is which and even if they've already had both of them before.

12. Drinking a Cthulhu with John Hall

The only way to top this is to drink a Fou Foune with jean van roy

13. im on medication. i can't drink alcohol for a month.

D:

14. Don't worry, with the week I'm having I'll be sure to drink your share too.

15. +1

16. TIME IS THE ULTIMATE LUXERY

Gentlemen,

All i life i have chased certain things. First it was immense wealth. I acheved that goal. Today i have made billions in business and the stock & commodities trading. I have villas in South of France and the Swiss Alps.

Then i stopped caring about wealth and desired to spend time with nature and the wild. Connecting the human soul with nature, it brings meaning and peace.

But after all this i still find that perhaps there is more in this journey, i have always said "Money is not the luxery, Time is the Ultimate luxery"TIME IS THE ULTIMATE LUXERY

Gentlemen,

All i life i have chased certain things. First it was immense wealth. I acheved that goal. Today i have made billions in business and the stock & commodities trading. I have villas in South of France and the Swiss Alps.

Then i stopped caring about wealth and desired to spend time with nature and the wild. Connecting the human soul with nature, it brings meaning and peace.

But after all this i still find that perhaps there is more in this journey, i have always said "Money is not the luxery, Time is the Ultimate luxery"TIME IS THE ULTIMATE LUXERY

Gentlemen,

But after all this i still find that perhaps there is more in this journey, i have always said "Money is not the luxery, Time is the Ultimate luxery"

17. Beatification is getting released December 14th, 1000 cases and 1 case per person limit.

18. I'm already at half mast.

19. Have they ever made this much? 1000 cases? Thats more than enough for distribution.

20. I think the last release was something like half that size, but the bottle limit was 6.

I'm going halfsies on a case with a friend. I'd buy a whole case myself, but 1) I can't afford it, and 2) I don't have a way to get up there.

21. I'd love to get my hands on a bottle this batch, but have a feeling people will still want an arm and a leg for it, despite it really not being THAT rare, really.

22. Just set up a pretrade and agree dollar for dollar. I'm sure someone will take up on that.

On an unrelated note, anyone on here who trades (so you, NB, and F1 lM I guess) need to find someone in Ohio to send you some Wulver, this stuff is one of the best BA beers I've ever had. Its like candy.

23. I haven't followed the beer thread at all. Actually think this is the first time I've ever opened it at all. Not a huge beer drinker, but every now and then I have major cravings for it. I'm in British Columbia. is there any stand out beer readily available here? I like a lot of the local micro brews. But as for mainstream beer I tend to like Stella Artois and good old MGD. Which to big beer drinkers are probably terrible. Throw me out some recommendations

24. There's a grip of good beer up there in BC! Driftwood does really good work up there.

Y'all also have pretty regular access to Cantillon, though I would try out other similar sours, say Cuvee Renee, before spending a ton of money on Cantillon.

Also, you have Sea Cider up there. Not beer, but that shit is delicious. Check it out if you haven't already.

25. Also, as for MCG and Stella: drink whatever you like. I can assure you, even the biggest beer nerds I know drink cheap-ass domestic garbage when the mood strikes or the situation is right.