best car ever made-period

Discussion in '2002 Bugatti 16/4 Veyron Preproduction' started by doofmyster, Aug 9, 2002.

1. This has got to be the best performance car ever made. The statistics are insane. A thousand horsepower...#$%#. I would be interested to see what the 1/4 mile times are, low ten's I would guess. Heaps of people are bagging this car saying that 1000 hpw is easy to get with four turbos. Of course it is but I would like to see any other 1000 hpw car that would be as reliable, as smooth and as efficient as this W16 is. Other messages also claim that this car would handle like shit....BULLSHIT. Any car that is 4wd and mid-mounted is going to handle extremely well. The fact that it is superbly designed, engineered and manufactured by Bugatti means that this machine is going to perform amazingly. The only thing I dont really like is the interior, however it is all a matter of personal taste, some people may love it. Anyway I would sell my mother to obtain a car of this class.
    Cya

2. Re: best car ever made-period

I still think 4 turbos is excessive, and personally I don't care for the exterior styling. And does anyone know how many seats it will have? Probably 2, but you never know.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: best car ever made-period

It will have 2 seats my friend.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: best car ever made-period

Just to let you all know, i love this car!!! but when trying to figure out what the quarter mile would be we need to look at the fact that it runs an unprecedented 186 miles per hour in under 14 seconds, no other production car can do this, and it will go 0-60 in 3 seconds or less (estimated). The 800TT Viper runs the quarter mile in 9.9 qith Slicks and the CLK GTR does 9.4, don't know if its with or without slicks, probably with. So i think that this car could go the 1/4 mile in the 9 range, and then burst. It could just have better high end acceleration, but the 4 turbos should enable it to have amazing low end too, so i'd say around 9.4 or so. (not that i'm any sort of expert :)

5. Re: best car ever made-period

Well, if people are questioning handling, they need to look no further than the Bugatti EB110. If we can assume this Bugatti will stick to the road like the EB110, it will have way more cornering grip than the McLaren. The EB110 pulled 0.99g on the skidpad and the best figure I've seen for the McLaren is 0.87g. That's HUGE! Especially when you consider the McLaren weighs 2700-2800 lb and the EB110 weighed 3800-3900 lb.

Also, the McLaren with its 627 bhp has a power-to-weight ratio of 4.306 lb/bhp (assuming the 2700-lb figure). This means that for this Bugatti to have the same ratio, it would have to weigh 4310 lb! Then if you want to talk about torque-to-weight... the McLaren has 479 lb-ft of torque giving 5.637 lb/lb-ft meaning the Bugatti would have to weigh 5197 lb to have the same ratio! If the Bugatti produces the power promised, the McLaren will be rudely shoved off of its pedestal.

6. Re: best car ever made-period

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Monkey</i>
    <b>Well, if people are questioning handling, they need to look no further than the Bugatti EB110. If we can assume this Bugatti will stick to the road like the EB110, it will have way more cornering grip than the McLaren. The EB110 pulled 0.99g on the skidpad and the best figure I've seen for the McLaren is 0.87g. That's HUGE! Especially when you consider the McLaren weighs 2700-2800 lb and the EB110 weighed 3800-3900 lb.

Also, the McLaren with its 627 bhp has a power-to-weight ratio of 4.306 lb/bhp (assuming the 2700-lb figure). This means that for this Bugatti to have the same ratio, it would have to weigh 4310 lb! Then if you want to talk about torque-to-weight... the McLaren has 479 lb-ft of torque giving 5.637 lb/lb-ft meaning the Bugatti would have to weigh 5197 lb to have the same ratio! If the Bugatti produces the power promised, the McLaren will be rudely shoved off of its pedestal.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You can't compare this car to the EB110, they don't have anything in common<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: best car ever made-period

All very good points, but I'd like to point out that there's more to handling than how many 'g' a car pulls on a skid pan. That's roadholding you are talking about. The McLaren F1 will always be the technological superior of the Bugatti EB110.

Many prefer a well-set up rear wheel drive layout over four wheel drive. During fast cornering, you have greater throttle and chassis control when the power is at the back only. Theoretically, RWD is also faster in the dry. Plus, with the exception of rallying, notice how few four wheel drive racing cars there are.

When it comes to Autobahn driving, you would be hard pressed to match the Veyron (conceptually anyway - it isn't even on sale yet). But on a twisty road, don't bet on it being that much quicker than some other, choice cars.

8. Re: best car ever made-period

this car looks good and goes fast. i think 4 turbos is taking it too far, and it will be elecronically speed limited to 218mph (or 220mph)because it is unstable at high speeds. it also spun out 3 times when it was tested and almost crashed. considering that the driver was a racing driver picked by bugatti, that probably makes the CAR crap. I love this car, and i would like to have one, but its not the best car ever made (IMO) - period.

9. Re: best car ever made-period

If they make the ME FOUR TWELVE....

10. Re: best car ever made-period

pointless. This car now has no point. It won't be the fastest, and that was the whole point. So why are they going to continue. They will drop the price, I assume, since it doesn't fulfill on the 250+mph promise. Correct?

11. Re:

this car does not have sloppy high speed stability the drive said "...at 250mph it was so stable you could drive with one hand."

the only thing i don't like about this car (not to say it isn't the best made in decades) is that the car was built around the engine, they didn't have plans for a exterior until they decided on the 1001hp figure and built the car to accomidate the speed and torque

12. There's a multitude of pointless cars. The Veyron doesn't qualify as one of them to me, but it's definitely not the best car ever made. Anyway, the top speed won't dictate the pricetag but rather the heavily appointed interior, the build quality, and, oh yes, that quad turbo monster crammed into the back. The point of the Veyron is to be the overdone luxo exotic; harking back to those luxurious Bugatti cruisers of old. Even though the car weighs in excess of 4000lbs, the W16 quad turbo will make short work of its corpulence. The mistake VW and Bugatti made was the hype they spread and the long delay of the car's release. They should've taken a page out of Porsche's book and be as modest and conservative as possible; making no promises and delivering more than expected in the end. But oh well.

13. Does anyone know how the crankshafts connect together(if they do), and how the clutch and flywheel(if any) are configured?

14. #14 DodgeMS-4, Oct 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    The 16/4 was never designed or built to be "the fastest car" that hasnt happened and it wont ever happen. It was in fact designed and built for the sole purpose of showing what a car manufacturer could do if money was of no object to a customer. The top speed of the 16/4 doesnt exist, the fastest the 16/4 has ever gone to date was 218mph when Bugatti themselves tested the car and it spun out uncontrollably almost killing the driver. (I find that fascinating specifically because the veyron utilizes a 4WD system, which means more traction, therefore it shouldn't have spun out for no reason at all.)

To the people on this forum who seem to think the Veyron's performance is amazing. (doofmyster, davidgil and more)
    Guess what? It isn't. Its performance is crap as is the design of the body, the 4WD system, and the entire powertrain. In a nutshell the veyron is nothing more then an expensive piece of crap which should have never been comprehended let alone designed/created in the 1st place.

Before anyone of you decides to incoherently ramble on and on about how the veyron is so amazing and it's performance figures are so stunning, do us all a favor and dont say anything, the veyron is not a great car it never has been and it never will be. While on the pathetic train of thought about the great veyron and its invisible top speed, ask yourselves the following question - "Is it possible that their are cars which have been around longer then the veyron that have been proven?" (cough Dauer 962, Mclaren F1 and more cough :p) I know what we can do, we can click on the 0-60 and the Topspeed links on the main supercars.net website and see for oursevles how great the bugatti veyron really is. Thats interesting the Dauer seems to have a faster 0-60 time as well as a higher topspeed versus the Veyron....hmm how could that be??? Ahhhh dammit and i thought the veyron was the fastest (sarcarsm).

The 0-60 for the Daeur 962 is 2.6 seconds.
    The 0-60 time of the veyron is.....oh thats right a 0-60 time for the veyron DOES NOT exist because one has not been recorded nor tested. What else is their....oh yes the Veyron is still a PROTOTYPE. While real supercars which are being built and sold such as the Mclaren F1, Dauer 962 and more are actual cars and NOT prototypes. I would love for someone to explain to me how can it be that the Veyron is faster then the Dauer or the Mclaren F1 or as someone put it earlier "the veyron is the fastest." The 0-60 times and imaginable topspeeds for the veyron that people keep posting and talking about are nothing more then someone's attempt to get attention, because no 0-60 time currently exists nor does a speed above 218mph.

The topspeed on this very site for the Daeur 962 shows 250mph (even though it was recorded at 251.25mph during a top speed run) keep in mind the actual topspeed of the Dauer is unknown to date. BR>
    On the other hand the topspeed of the veyron is only 218mph, not the 252.3mph said on this site. The topspeed run im speaking of (the only topspeed run which has been done to date using the 16/4 veyron) was when Bugatti themselves attempted to test the 16/4 and it spun out uncontrollably almost taking the driver's life. After which the chairman of Bugatti Thomas Bscher wised up and had the topspeed reduced. Thank god he did that, apparently Bugatti does have a clue as to what they are doing.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=7702

15. OH, ok so your saying that the EB110 doesn't have AWD?
    Your saying that it doesn't have 4 small turbos? (to enhance torque)
    Your saying that it isn't mid-engine?
    Your saying that the EB110 wasn't too heavy just like the veyron?

well, there's 4 very major aspects of the car that are Identical, yeah, your a genius, they don't have anything in common.

16. Well, kids, you all know why this car exists right? I mean, it's pretty obvious. (and obsequious) This car has been manufactured in the hope that it can someday be in a Jay-Z video. It has no other purpose. Nobody is going to drive two hundred and fifty miles per hour, and nobody is going to exploit all 1000 horsepower, as nobody could. The Mclaren was a different cat altogether... It was built to be the finest sports car the technology of the day would allow. Bugatti has built a monster with no perks except power and styling, and god bless them for it. Of course, with all that weight to carry around from the unnecessarily huge engine and overly complicated four wheel drive, it will never outhandle any proper sports car, and god help anyone who actually tries to drive it like one.

17. Simple answer: NO

18. It's a decent car but other cars handle way better, which is more important than going in a straight line.

19. Haha. Good answer.

20. AWD systems create understeer at high cornering speeds, they have good grip out of corners but have a tendency to loose speed in the corner and the car will feel like the front wheels are dragging (tires looking for grip).

21. 16/4 8l w16 + 4 turbocharger = 1000hp
    ford road rally car 2.2l 4 cylinder + 1 turbocharger + 690hp

22. Dahlbäck Golf RSI: 2,2 litre, 5 cylinder Audi-engine, turbo: 600 to 900 hp. An Audi A4 1,8T in sweden has proven 684 hp on a dyno.

Horsepower isn't everything, drivability and reliability is. The Veyron is a fantastic car and it has never aspired to be the best at anything, just plain great on everything. Great looks, speed, acceleration and, not to forget, comfort. Bare in mind that the 962 LM barely had room for both feet and that the F1LM was a racecar originally. This car has a Bvlgari clock on the dash, diamonds on the speedmeter and every other luxury that we mortals can't even imagine, nor will most of us never know them. This car maybe isn't the fastest, quickest accelerating, most powerful or best handling, but the sum of what it can do makes it the best car that we have seen yet.

23. Well Bugatti have always been interested in having the fastest, when they started out with this they wanted the fastest car ever made. Personally I dont want stuff in my car that I dont need. Who needs diamonds in their car? Now the Mclaren F1 LM was a racecar yes but came from the standard F1 that have just about everything you need in a car and none of the useless stuff.