Best car ever made

Discussion in '2002 MINI Cooper S' started by Fueled By Omnis, May 10, 2003.

1. Re: Best car ever made

i agree its one of the bests

2. Re: Best car ever made

i wouldnt go that far. but yeah, one of the best cars for the price!

3. Re: Best car ever made

No way, this car is a DISGRACE to what Mini's really are. Anyone here ever driven in an original Mini? The idea behind Mini's was this. Everyone was driving Motorcycles in Britian right when the original Mini was produced. The idea was that this would be a car that could be bought for the same price as a motorcycle. They were so incredibly spartan that if you drove a new Mini, and then went back to an old one, you would be shocked. The new ones are retarted. They are underpowered, gimicky, plasticky, and have way to many dumb features that you would NEVER find on an original Mini. For the price, you can get a much better car. A Subaru Impreza RS for example, a much better car, and frankly, a lot more fun. Hell, get a WRX for a few grand more. I hate the new Mini. I am a HUGE Mini fan, old ones of course, the new one enrages me beyond belief.

4. Re: Best car ever made

The new mini is underpowered? How could you possibly say that when comparing it to the old one? Also, FYI here in America the old Minis are rare.

5. Re: Best car ever made

Of course they are rare, what difference does that make? When I say they are underpowered, I mean they are underpowered for how much is on this car. In otherwords, the interior of this car is made to be a supercar pretty much, they could have made so much more power in this car its not even funny.

6. Re: Best car ever made

best car ever... behind the original

7. Re: Best car ever made

Ok hold up... this car blows chunks! I own an '89 Toyota MR2 Supercharged that is 100% stock it's 1.6L with 145HP and 140 lbs. torque. The new Mini Supercharged has a 1.6L that has 20HP more and 16 lbs. more torque, not to mention 13 years of newer engine and supercharger technology and the fact that it weighs less than my MR2. Yet for some reason, this "bad-ass" car is slower than the MR2 SC 0-60??? that doesn't make any sense. That's sad... Enough Said.

8. Re: Best car ever made

Despite a few "hardcore" mini #1 fans and their gripes, this car, performance wise, does not fall short of the original. Now, if I'm not mistaken, most motorcycles made today possess a heftier pricetag than the motorbikes of old, and to keep true to the idea of making a miniature hatchback to contend with the pricetag of modern bikes is absurd, especially considering that there is an overabundance of used bikes that go for prices that are only matched by the creme de la creme of the beater lot in the car realm. That ideal has long died.
    The mini was not about motorbike prices, it was about creating a car that can squeeze into the tightest spaces, sip fuel, and carry a healthy payload of four, or possibly five people. A spartan interior is charming, for a while, but a few creature comforts are nothing to scoff at, unless you're adverse to trivial things like air conditioning, plush leather seating, and a stereo to enjoy these things with. Underpowered? I guess we can't all drag race with lilliputian hatchbacks. I for one would not pay a few grand more for a car that demands costly maintanence and eats tires like a hypolycemic person at a buffet. Anyway, that car's in a completely different market segment and should not be mentioned altogether.
    Also, I drove the original mini once. It was like a slightly larger go-kart and I loved it. But I also took the new one for a spin. It was not as tactile in road feel as the original, but was just as fun. But such is the price you pay to have technology intervene. I especially liked the interior design; there were welcoming contours everywhere. Despite the 7.something acceleration time, it's mini dimensions made it feel alot faster. It cornered like a dream, sprinted like an athlete, and carried 3 of my frightened friends along for the joyride without any complaints in regards to space. Retarded? Yeah, and Charlize Theron looks better with the latex face in Monster.

9. Re: Best car ever made

Despite a few "hardcore" mini #1 fans and their gripes, this car, performance wise, does not fall short of the original. Now, if I'm not mistaken, most motorcycles made today possess a heftier pricetag than the motorbikes of old, and to keep true to the idea of making a miniature hatchback to contend with the pricetag of modern bikes is absurd, especially considering that there is an overabundance of used bikes that go for prices that are only matched by the creme de la creme of the beater lot in the car realm. That ideal has long died.
    The mini was not about motorbike prices, it was about creating a car that can squeeze into the tightest spaces, sip fuel, and carry a healthy payload of four, or possibly five people. A spartan interior is charming, for a while, but a few creature comforts are nothing to scoff at, unless you're adverse to trivial things like air conditioning, plush leather seating, and a stereo to enjoy these things with. Underpowered? I guess we can't all drag race with lilliputian hatchbacks. I for one would not pay a few grand more for a car that demands costly maintanence and eats tires like a hypoglycemic person at a buffet. Anyway, that car's in a completely different market segment and should not be mentioned altogether.
    Also, I drove the original mini once. It was like a slightly larger go-kart and I loved it. But I also took the new one for a spin. It was not as tactile in road feel as the original, but was just as fun. But such is the price you pay to have technology intervene. I especially liked the interior design; there were welcoming contours everywhere. Despite the 7.something acceleration time, it's mini dimensions made it feel alot faster. It cornered like a dream, sprinted like an athlete, and carried 3 of my frightened friends along for the joyride without any complaints in regards to space. Retarded? Yeah, and Charlize Theron looks better with the latex face in Monster.

10. Re: Best car ever made

I guess this is a good example of apples and oranges. Many times a car comes along that, for some reason, can outperform more powerful and even lighter ones. Take the '04 GT3 and the Ferrari 360 Modena Challenge Stradale, for example. The GT3 is both heavier and less powerful than the Ferrari, yet it matches or beats the Italian in almost every acceleration test. It jiggers the imagination. You must take into account that gearing, aerodynamics, and drivetrain layout are what determine the performance of a car as well as weight and power. So, just because the little midship runabout can outrun the mini doesn't mean that the mini is sub par, it just means that the MR2 is a well rounded car that makes the most of its power given its dimensions and weight.